50s Retro Football Fantasy Draft

Joël Bats
French European Championship winning Goalkeeper.

42855.gif

Between him Houseman and Keegan, my team has to have the best hair out of the lot!

Jayvin: 1. SCIREA 2. FERNANDEZ 3. HODDLE 4. FORSTER 5. EDER 6. KRANKL 7. PROHASKA 8. DEMYANENKO 9. MCGRAIN 10.

Duffy: 1. ROBBO 2. KEEGAN 3. BLOKHIN 4. CABRINI 5. ANCELOTTI 6. NEAL 7. BRIO 8. LAWRENSON 9. HOUSEMAN 10. BATS

TDon69: 1. ZICO 2. TIGANA 3. TRESOR 4. DINAMITE 5. JUNIOR 6. BOCHINI 7. LEANDRO 8. ALDRIDGE 9. ZMUDA 10. SOUTHALL

Gio: 1. PLATINI 2. SOUNESS 3. HANSEN 4. ELKJAER 5. REP 6. BRADY 7. CHA BUM KUN 8. PREUD'HOMME 9. BOSSIS 10. COELHO

antohan: 1. FALCAO 2. BONIEK 3. SCHUSTER 4. SIMONSEN 5. BRIEGEL 6. LERBY 7. GERETS 8. DASAYEV 9 . CHIVADZE 10. PEREYRA

Interval Level: 1. PASSARELLA 2. ROSSI 3. BREITNER 4. CONTI 5. DORNER 6. MIGUELI 7. LATO 8. CUETO 9. PEZZEY 10. PFAFF

Crustanoid: 1. SOCRATES 2. GENTILE 3. DALGLISH 4. STIELIKE 5. OSCAR 6. VALDANO 7. JUANITO 8. GORDILLO 9. BATTISTON 10. W. VAN DE KERKHOF

Nani Nana: 1. MCGRATH 2. TARDELLI 3. GIRESSE 4. ROGER MILLA 5. AUGENTHALER 6. COLLOVATI 7. HOENESS 8. SANTILLANA 9. ALTOBELLI 10. GALLEGO

Brwned: 1. NEESKENS 2. HUGO SANCHEZ 3. VIERCHOWOD 4. ANTOGNONI 5. ARDILES 6. BETTEGA 7. KALTZ 8. TARANTINI 9. BUTCHER 10. FILLOL

Polaroid: 1. RUMMENIGGE 2. KEMPES 3. CEREZO 4. CEULEMANS 5. SCHUMACHER 6. CAMACHO 7. BONHOFF 8. SUSIC 9. BESSONOV 10. REINALDO

Jayvin: 1. SCIREA 2. FERNANDEZ 3. HODDLE 4. FORSTER 5. EDER 6. KRANKL 7. PROHASKA 8. DEMYANENKO 9. MCGRAIN 10. VAN BREUKELEN 11. BERTONI

Duffy: 1. ROBBO 2. KEEGAN 3. BLOKHIN 4. CABRINI 5. ANCELOTTI 6. NEAL 7. BRIO 8. LAWRENSON 9. HOUSEMAN 10. BATS

TDon69: 1. ZICO 2. TIGANA 3. TRESOR 4. DINAMITE 5. JUNIOR 6. BOCHINI 7. LEANDRO 8. ALDRIDGE 9. ZMUDA 10. SOUTHALL

Gio: 1. PLATINI 2. SOUNESS 3. HANSEN 4. ELKJAER 5. REP 6. BRADY 7. CHA BUM KUN 8. PREUD'HOMME 9. BOSSIS 10. COELHO

antohan: 1. FALCAO 2. BONIEK 3. SCHUSTER 4. SIMONSEN 5. BRIEGEL 6. LERBY 7. GERETS 8. DASAYEV 9 . CHIVADZE 10. PEREYRA

Interval Level: 1. PASSARELLA 2. ROSSI 3. BREITNER 4. CONTI 5. DORNER 6. MIGUELI 7. LATO 8. CUETO 9. PEZZEY 10. PFAFF

Crustanoid: 1. SOCRATES 2. GENTILE 3. DALGLISH 4. STIELIKE 5. OSCAR 6. VALDANO 7. JUANITO 8. GORDILLO 9. BATTISTON 10. W. VAN DE KERKHOF

Nani Nana: 1. MCGRATH 2. TARDELLI 3. GIRESSE 4. ROGER MILLA 5. AUGENTHALER 6. COLLOVATI 7. HOENESS 8. SANTILLANA 9. ALTOBELLI 10. GALLEGO

Brwned: 1. NEESKENS 2. HUGO SANCHEZ 3. VIERCHOWOD 4. ANTOGNONI 5. ARDILES 6. BETTEGA 7. KALTZ 8. TARANTINI 9. BUTCHER 10. FILLOL

Polaroid: 1. RUMMENIGGE 2. KEMPES 3. CEREZO 4. CEULEMANS 5. SCHUMACHER 6. CAMACHO 7. BONHOFF 8. SUSIC 9. BESSONOV 10. REINALDO

Jayvin: 1. SCIREA 2. FERNANDEZ 3. HODDLE 4. FORSTER 5. EDER 6. KRANKL 7. PROHASKA 8. DEMYANENKO 9. MCGRAIN 10. VAN BREUKELEN 11. BERTONI

Duffy: 1. ROBBO 2. KEEGAN 3. BLOKHIN 4. CABRINI 5. ANCELOTTI 6. NEAL 7. BRIO 8. LAWRENSON 9. HOUSEMAN 10. BATS 11. CHALANA

The striker has been settled from the outset, although there are still other really good ones. Such a good era for strikers!

Thoughts on my side?

457706_Holland.jpg

pretty sure you'll go with alzamendi up front hehe

Nelinho

Well done on setting a fast pace today lads, thanks to Brwned for putting Coelho in for me. Apologies for the delay there, had pre-season training all day.

245.jpg

Duffy: 1. ROBBO 2. KEEGAN 3. BLOKHIN 4. CABRINI 5. ANCELOTTI 6. NEAL 7. BRIO 8. LAWRENSON 9. HOUSEMAN 10. BATS 11. CHALANA

TDon69: 1. ZICO 2. TIGANA 3. TRESOR 4. DINAMITE 5. JUNIOR 6. BOCHINI 7. LEANDRO 8. ALDRIDGE 9. ZMUDA 10. SOUTHALL 11. MORAN

Gio: 1. PLATINI 2. SOUNESS 3. HANSEN 4. ELKJAER 5. REP 6. BRADY 7. CHA BUM KUN 8. PREUD'HOMME 9. BOSSIS 10. COELHO 11. NELINHO

Your midfield and flanks are looking strong Antohan - but is your wife not pissed off you're farting about with formations on footballuser.com on her birthday?

Your midfield and flanks are looking strong Antohan - but is your wife not pissed off you're farting about with formations on footballuser.com on her birthday?

Maybe he'll pick his wife up front

It was all part of a scheme, culminating on her birthday

It all got done last night including my uber-long write-ups (Brwned can attest to that). I'm just logging on everytime she gets distracted.

pretty sure you'll go with alzamendi up front hehe

I like him. A scorer of important goals, but a RWF really. For that role I would pick Venancio Ramos ahead of him though, particularly with the player I have in mind.

FERNANDO MORENA

morena2.jpg

Right foot, left foot (leftie), volleys, lobs, scissors-kicks, headers, free kicks, penos, the man was an absolute goal machine. And if the goalie saved, he was first to the rebound. A game was never complete without the customary goal from Nando.

• Career ratio: 0.85 gpg, ranked 4th highest ever worldwide (IFFHS)
  • 7 x Top scorer in the Uruguayan league (6 consecutively in 73-78)
  • All-time league scorer in Uruguay: 230 in 244
  • All-time top scorer in a league season: 36/22 (record was 33/22 for 42 years, he got 34/22, then 36 in 22 three years later)
  • Highest number of goals in a league game: 7
Watch these from 00:30, then skip the short interview/commentary bit. Not the best defending admittedly, but you can appreciate the killer instinct, the many tools in his locker to nick a goal and the knack for being in the right place at the right time. His free kick is not bad either.

“Scores a lot in a crap league” I hear you say. Which could be fair as the 70s were the first decade Uruguay didn’t win a single Copa América but…

• 3 x Top scorer in Copa Libertadores
  • Second highest scorer ever in Copa Libertadores
That’s more like it, but he didn’t make it in Europe…

• In 1979-80 he moved to Rayo Vallecano (they had a Uruguayan manager who talked him into it, transfer record at the time at $650,000)
  • He was three goals off being Pichichi despite Rayo being rubbish and getting relegated
  • In 1980-81 he moved to Valencia, where he partnered Kempes. Morena was their top scorer that season (inc. the Super Cup decider against Forest).
So why didn’t he stay in Europe and make a bigger name for himself?

That’s where one of my most incredible experiences as a football fan kicks in…

Why isn't he a household name in Europe then?

As soon as he moved to Europe, where he outscored his partner Kempes at Valencia, Peñarol went from unbeaten champions to losing the league to Nacional. Worse, they won the Libertadores. And the Intercontinental Cup. The club's 90th Anniversary approached and all we could hear was our rivals bragging. Something needed to be done.

The club hierarchy contacted Valencia. Valencia slapped a 1.5M asking price on him. Peñarol’s entire annual turnover was 1.2M. Not a chance.

But the fans would have none of it. An idea emerged, a shared goal and collective effort to bring our idol and glory back…

THE FANS WOULD PAY THE TRANSFER FEE

even in the midst of a dictatorship, oil crisis, debt crisis... Morena’s stint abroad was also felt by fans from other clubs: Uruguay finally had something remotely resembling a midfield, but now couldn’t score for toffee and crashed out in the WC qualifiers.

campa%C3%B1a_morena.jpg

Within a few months, 0.5M had been raised. I used to save my lunch money to buy Morena bonds. Only time I was ever skinny :lol:

Morena also helped. Firstly, he was willing to give up on $250K in yearly wages (85% drop), in line with the club’s budget. Secondly, he made it clear to Valencia his heart was back at Peñarol, making the price drop to 1M and –as the Anniversary league was underway- secured an agreement to pay half upfront (collected already) and the other half split over the next two seasons.

bono-fernando-a-morena-lo-traemos-todos.jpg

It paid back handsomely. Peñarol won the league, the Libertadores and the Intercontinental Cup. He top scored in both, including a last ditch winner for the Libertadores. Collecting the annual installment was piss-easy.

images

He won us the league again in 83 and we were Libertadores runner-ups despite him scoring in both of the final legs.

Then the 1983 Copa America came. Alongside Francescoli, Ramos and Paz he was surely finally going to win something with the national team.

We beat Paraguay 3-0, he scored. We beat Chile 2-1, he scored. Then we were 3-0 up against Venezuela (he scored)... and a horror tackle put an end to it all. Uruguay won it, but no medal.

For any Uruguayan -let alone a Peñarol fan- the moment they heard about Morena’s leg being shattered is their JFK moment.

Twenty three years later, René Torres arrived at MVD Airport. The customs officer read the Venezuelan's name on the passport, looked up, and asked “Why?"

images

Need a wide right player to balance the squad and enable every possible combination of formations. And I see nobody has decided to opt for Willy's brother, Rene, also in the FIFA top 100..... which is fortuitous

TDon69: 1. ZICO 2. TIGANA 3. TRESOR 4. DINAMITE 5. JUNIOR 6. BOCHINI 7. LEANDRO 8. ALDRIDGE 9. ZMUDA 10. SOUTHALL 11. MORAN

Gio: 1. PLATINI 2. SOUNESS 3. HANSEN 4. ELKJAER 5. REP 6. BRADY 7. CHA BUM KUN 8. PREUD'HOMME 9. BOSSIS 10. COELHO 11. NELINHO

antohan: 1. FALCAO 2. BONIEK 3. SCHUSTER 4. SIMONSEN 5. BRIEGEL 6. LERBY 7. GERETS 8. DASAYEV 9 . CHIVADZE 10. PEREYRA 11. MORENA

Interval Level: 1. PASSARELLA 2. ROSSI 3. BREITNER 4. CONTI 5. DORNER 6. MIGUELI 7. LATO 8. CUETO 9. PEZZEY 10. PFAFF 11. DEMYANENKO

Crustanoid: 1. SOCRATES 2. GENTILE 3. DALGLISH 4. STIELIKE 5. OSCAR 6. VALDANO 7. JUANITO 8. GORDILLO 9. BATTISTON 10. W. VAN DE KERKHOF 11. R. VAN DE KERKHOF

457116_Dream_Team.jpg

This what I'm toying with.

Of the 3 CB's
Zmuda- man marker.
Tresor - Advanced sweeper, moving into DM when needed
Moran - Stopper, the no nonsense tough tackling, brave CB.

Junior/Leandro - attacking wing backs, defending when needed, providing width down the flanks in attack.

Midfield
Tigana - keeps things ticking over, defensive duties as well as attacking.
Bochini - Deep lying playmaker.
Zico - Free Role.

Forwards
Dinamite - Pacy, skillfull forward. Will come deep to collect and run at defenders.
Aldridge - Poacher.

I'll be looking at another forward as my sub, to be able to switch to 4-3-3.

Looking good TDon

I'm going to bed soon, up at crack of dawn and out in the fells until tomorrow evening - I don't think I'll have to get formations and tactics ready before that?

My twelfth pick has been PMed to Antohan who is after me in the order and has a keeper already

Still up - playing with a few formations.

457891_Dream_Team.jpg

Stielike as a libero, wing backs pushing forward with fluid attacking midfield

457897_Dream_Team.jpg

Magic square with Stielike and Van De Kerkhof providing the disciplined defensive base and Socrates and Juanito the magic (Dalglish would also weigh in)

457899_Dream_Team.jpg

For emergencies - 3 strong defenders would do the job of 4 allowing for the extra man attacking.

Dream_Team

Old-style 4-3-3 with Gordillo playing like Evra does for us and Dalglish nominally the left most of the front three, but tucking in during attacks (his best area)

457906_Dream_Team.jpg

457116_Dream_Team.jpg

This what I'm toying with.

Of the 3 CB's
Zmuda- man marker.
Tresor - Advanced sweeper, moving into DM when needed
Moran - Stopper, the no nonsense tough tackling, brave CB.

Junior/Leandro - attacking wing backs, defending when needed, providing width down the flanks in attack.

Midfield
Tigana - keeps things ticking over, defensive duties as well as attacking.
Bochini - Deep lying playmaker.
Zico - Free Role.

Forwards
Dinamite - Pacy, skillfull forward. Will come deep to collect and run at defenders.
Aldridge - Poacher.

I'll be looking at another forward as my sub, to be able to switch to 4-3-3.

Bochini is not a deep-lying midfielder by any means. I always thought you needed another CM/DM with both him and Zico playing further up (i.e. I expected a magic square).

Bochini is not a deep-lying midfielder by any means. I always thought you needed another CM/DM with both him and Zico playing further up (i.e. I expected a magic square).

Well, you see, it kind of is a magic square. It's a fluid, changing midfield.

Tigana will be the most defensive out of the three CM's but he will be joined by Tresor, stepping up from the back. On the attack, Bochini will be linking up with Zico, who has a free roll, or the forwards. I've also given myself the option of using him for building attacks from midfield, with his exquisite passing.

So, depending on the situation, the formation can quite easily be 4-2-2-2 or 5-3-2.

Well, you see, it kind of is a magic square. It's a fluid, changing midfield.

Tigana will be the most defensive out of the three CM's but he will be joined by Tresor, stepping up from the back. On the attack, Bochini will be linking up with Zico, who has a free roll, or the forwards. I've also given myself the option of using him for building attacks from midfield, with his exquisite passing.

So, depending on the situation, the formation can quite easily be 4-2-2-2 or 5-3-2.

I got your point, just feel Tresor is too good to play in some makeshift in order to play Moran. I thought you were going for Gallego TBH.

Furthermore, I think picking yet another striker would be a mistake. You will be stuck in that odd shape with great players in misfit roles. If, given the oppo, you wanted 5 at the back I would probably bench one of the strikers. Both Bochini and Zico are great number 10s. You already have two strikers and two 10s who can chip in with goals as support strikers.

I understand the DM/sound CM pool is very thin right now, but I'm pretty confident you are up shit creek if you end up with 5 defenders, 3 strikers, 2 No. 10s, one keeper... and only one recognised CM/DM.

I'll PM you some options if it helps. Nothing to write home about though.

Still up - playing with a few formations.

Depends on the oppo but the first and fourth look best for me. The second is too narrow for my liking, on the third the midfield is very makeshift.

As discussed earlier, Socrates doesn't allow you that much flexibility. Your attack and defence have the personnel to be sound whichever way you go about it. It's the midfield configuration where you will make or break.

I posted what I believe is one of the most incredible fairy tales in football and got no feedback at all :(

What do you guys think of this then? I appreciate the feedback as I'm wondering whether to get a backup DM, a third CB/SW for five at the back or a backup striker in case no one thinks much of Morena (or a WF with Simonsen playing up front). The latter is probably prudent but I can't see myself dropping Nando.

457256_Holland.jpg

ace story antohan

i pick Sammy McIllroy

Past%20Stars_clip_image001_0013.jpg

Interval Level needs to change his pick though

Peñarol went from unbeaten champions to losing the league to Nacional. Worse, they won the Libertadores. And the Intercontinental Cup. The club's 90th Anniversary approached and all we could hear was our rivals bragging. Something needed to be done.

The club hierarchy contacted Valencia. Valencia slapped a 1.5M asking price on him. Peñarol’s entire annual turnover was 1.2M. Not a chance.

But the fans would have none of it. An idea emerged, a shared goal and collective effort to bring our idol and glory back…

THE FANS WOULD PAY THE TRANSFER FEE

even in the midst of a dictatorship, oil crisis, debt crisis... Morena’s stint abroad was also felt by fans from other clubs: Uruguay finally had something remotely resembling a midfield, but now couldn’t score for toffee and crashed out in the WC qualifiers.

campa%C3%B1a_morena.jpg

Within a few months, 0.5M had been raised. I used to save my lunch money to buy Morena bonds. Only time I was ever skinny :lol:

Morena also helped. Firstly, he was willing to give up on $250K in yearly wages (85% drop), in line with the club’s budget. Secondly, he made it clear to Valencia his heart was back at Peñarol, making the price drop to 1M and –as the Anniversary league was underway- secured an agreement to pay half upfront (collected already) and the other half split over the next two seasons.

bono-fernando-a-morena-lo-traemos-todos.jpg

It paid back handsomely. Peñarol won the league, the Libertadores and the Intercontinental Cup. He top scored in both, including a last ditch winner for the Libertadores. Collecting the annual installment was piss-easy.

images

The 1983 Copa America came. Alongside Francescoli, Ramos and Paz he was surely finally going to win something with the national team.

We beat Paraguay 3-0, he scored. We beat Chile 2-1, he scored. Then we were 3-0 up against Venezuela (he scored)... and a horror tackle put an end to it all. Uruguay won it, but no medal.

For any Uruguayan -let alone a Peñarol fan- the moment they heard about Morena’s leg being shattered is their JFK moment. Twenty three years later, René Torres arrived at MVD Airport. The customs officer read the Venezuelan's name on the passport, looked up, and asked “Why?"

Thats a great tale...fascinating.

antohan: 1. FALCAO 2. BONIEK 3. SCHUSTER 4. SIMONSEN 5. BRIEGEL 6. LERBY 7. GERETS 8. DASAYEV 9 . CHIVADZE 10. PEREYRA 11. MORENA

Interval Level: 1. PASSARELLA 2. ROSSI 3. BREITNER 4. CONTI 5. DORNER 6. MIGUELI 7. LATO 8. CUETO 9. PEZZEY 10. PFAFF 11. (PENDING)

Crustanoid: 1. SOCRATES 2. GENTILE 3. DALGLISH 4. STIELIKE 5. OSCAR 6. VALDANO 7. JUANITO 8. GORDILLO 9. BATTISTON 10. W. VAN DE KERKHOF 11. R. VAN DE KERKHOF

Nani Nana: 1. MCGRATH 2. TARDELLI 3. GIRESSE 4. ROGER MILLA 5. AUGENTHALER 6. COLLOVATI 7. HOENESS 8. SANTILLANA 9. ALTOBELLI 10. GALLEGO 11. MCILROY

Brwned picks Dirceu and Coppell
My picks are Ondrus and Willie Miller

Interval Level: 1. PASSARELLA 2. ROSSI 3. BREITNER 4. CONTI 5. DORNER 6. MIGUELI 7. LATO 8. CUETO 9. PEZZEY 10. PFAFF 11. (PENDING)

Nani Nana: 1. MCGRATH 2. TARDELLI 3. GIRESSE 4. ROGER MILLA 5. AUGENTHALER 6. COLLOVATI 7. HOENESS 8. SANTILLANA 9. ALTOBELLI 10. GALLEGO 11. MCILROY

Brwned: 1. NEESKENS 2. HUGO SANCHEZ 3. VIERCHOWOD 4. ANTOGNONI 5. ARDILES 6. BETTEGA 7. KALTZ 8. TARANTINI 9. BUTCHER 10. FILLOL 11. DIRCEU 12. COPPELL

Polaroid: 1. RUMMENIGGE 2. KEMPES 3. CEREZO 4. CEULEMANS 5. SCHUMACHER 6. CAMACHO 7. BONHOF 8. SUSIC 9. BESSONOV 10. REINALDO 11. ONDRUS 12. MILLER