50s Retro Football Fantasy Draft

Preben Elkjaer
Formed with Michael Laudrup comfortably the best striking partnership in international football during the mid-1980s - no better encapsulated by their mutual destruction of a decent Uruguay team with Elkjaer providing three goals and two assists in a 6-1 victory.

Decent? It was way more than decent, we were Copa America champions and would renew that title the next year. To this day we wonder what may have been if our inbred manager had not been so centred on the local players he knew, playing in a cynical and cagey way, when we had some of our most talented creative midfielders and forwards in a long time.

Bar Francescoli, and arguably Alzamendi, the next 4-5 best Uruguayan players weren't on the pitch. Some not even in the WC squad. You only have to watch the game against Argentina to see the complete turn in the run of play the moment Paz set foot on the pitch. feck*ng moron.

That 6-1 was humilliating, I had nightmares featuring Elkjaer for days and I dreaded facing Strachan (somehow I expected him to orchestrate a similar demolition by Scotland, but they were even poorer than us). Horrible, horrible stuff for the non-neutral. The upside was it finally put paid to the notion you could get away with playing a truckload of technically limited players and make up for it through sheer will power.

There's Portuguese posters on here who might be able to shed a bit more light. That he's likely to feature in most people's Benfica and Portugal's all-time XIs is a reasonable testament to his ability given the calibre of some of the competition - Couto, Carvalho, Andrade, Pepe, Germano, etc.

That would be a good indicator. I don't care much for Sven's opinion (he played Scholes on the left!). Local honours/records can be deceptive as standalones (best of a bad bunch type scenario) but an all-time comparison can set a benchmark (e.g. Carvalho and Pepe here).

They aren't always right. Montero was picked as CB in a Juve all-time XI, which was probably a reflection of the fans' age and Montero being the sort fans love. But one thing is clear: he cannot possibly get there not being a good player.

Decent? It was way more than decent, we were Copa America champions and would renew that title the next year. To this day we wonder what may have been if our inbred manager had not been so centred on the local players he knew, playing in a cynical and cagey way, when we had some of our most talented creative midfielders and forwards in a long time.

Bar Francescoli, and arguably Alzamendi, the next 4-5 best Uruguayan players weren't on the pitch. Some not even in the WC squad. You only have to watch the game against Argentina to see the complete turn in the run of play the moment Paz set foot on the pitch. feck*ng moron.

That 6-1 was humilliating, I had nightmares featuring Elkjaer for days and I dreaded facing Strachan (somehow I expected him to orchestrate a similar demolition by Scotland, but they were even poorer than us). Horrible, horrible stuff for the non-neutral. The upside was it finally put paid to the notion you could get away with playing a truckload of technically limited players and make up for it through sheer will power.

All true, I was going to use the phrase 'more-than-decent' but only dropped it because the sentence was getting too long. A hell of a group really, West Germany (in the middle of three consecutive finals), Denmark (best attacking team in Europe), Uruguay (Copa America champions) and a Scotland team featuring a lot of top players.

So?

When are the games on?

They were supposed to be on today - games were meant to kick off around 1pm UK time - but Nani Nana's the only one who's given me the teamsheet so far. Crustanoid's will be there as well as far as I know. Neither Jayvin or Polaroid have mentioned anything despite both being on here this morning, nothing I can do about that. It's unlikely we'll get them both in by tonight so if Duffy has the time to do his tonight we'll swap his and your match with Polaroid-Jayvin.

It's unlikely we'll get them both in by tonight so if Duffy has the time to do his tonight we'll swap his and your match with Polaroid-Jayvin.

No problem, so long as my match is running tonight/tomorrow. Tough day on Thursday for me.

They were supposed to be on today - games were meant to kick off around 1pm UK time - but Nani Nana's the only one who's given me the teamsheet so far. Crustanoid's will be there as well as far as I know. Neither Jayvin or Polaroid have mentioned anything despite both being on here this morning, nothing I can do about that. It's unlikely we'll get them both in by tonight so if Duffy has the time to do his tonight we'll swap his and your match with Polaroid-Jayvin.

BRWNED, YOUR PM QUOTA IS FULL

It may be why you haven't heard from others :p

It's only just filled up there! It's cleared now.

For posting in the match thread in a bit:

Overall team selection and tactics

My initial pick was Socrates, as I wanted an influential orchestrator in the middle of the park, and from there I built my team on the basis of high skill and passing ability, but with a defensive solidity which allows the flair players (Socrates, Dalglish, Juanito, the full backs, the Van de Kerkhof twins) to make a difference in the opposition half. Valdano is a cultured centre forward who augmented Diego Maradona’s flair to devastating effect, and it is my intention he will feed off the service from these players. On the flanks the two wing backs Gordillo and Battiston will get forward. Both are of the very top fullbacks of the era, and Gordillo in particular provides a potent attacking threat. An extremely important element is Stielike, who played as libero for Real and Germany (Beckenbauer’s heir in that regard). He will play either as 3rd centre back / sweeper or in midfield in a 4.5.1/4.4.2 if tactics require, in front of Gentile and Oscar. Both are World class centre backs from their time who provide a defensive bedrock with Pumpido behind them.

Crucially, there is also familiarity running through the team. Oscar-Socrates, Gordillo-Valdano-Stilike-Juanito and the Van de Kerkhof twins. If there is an overall attribute which epitomises this team it is vision – many of the players here are among the most intelligent in the game.

Individual player profiles

Goalkeeper: Nery Pumpido

Pumpido_cup1986.jpg

Pumpido was a key part of Argentina’s now legendary World Cup win in 1986. He kept three clean sheets in the process. He was particular accurate with his distribution, often initiating quick counter attacks, as well as being an expert shot-stopper.

Trivia: Pumpido was selected for a South America representative team shortly afterwards, opposite Dasayev who played for ‘The Rest of The World’. The match ended 2-2 with Maradona scoring the decisive penalty kick.

Right Back / Right Wing Back: Patrick Battiston

180012963_small.jpg

Aside from Argentina, the other footballing power of the mid eighties (when Brazil and Italy’s 1982 sides were beginning to wane) were France. Battiston was a mainstay on the right of defence – and performed an important role on the right flank, given the magic-square formation having no other recognised right-sided player. He played in three world cups and won domestic titles with three separate sides in France.

He could also score spectacular long range goals:

Trivia: Battiston is widely remembered from being the victim of one of the most infamous fouls in history by Harald Schumacher in the classic 1982 semi between Germany and France.

Left back / left wing back / left midfield: Rafael Gordillo

images

An extremely skilful and attacking left back or midfielder, Gordillo earned 75 caps for Spain, became an all-time legend for Betis in his earlier career and then won a string of honours in a lengthy spell at Real Madrid.

Youtube clip:

Central defender: Jose Oscar Bernardi (Oscar)

oscar1-195x300.jpg

In 1982 Brazil earned legendary status as ‘the best team never to win the world cup’. Their attacking players quite rightly are among the legends of the game, but the man widely credited for providing a lynchpin to allow the flair players to play is the solid central defender, Oscar. He won 60 caps and played at 3 world cups.

Here he is scoring a rare goal vs Scotland from a set piece:

Trivia: He has founded his own club, Brasillis FC

Central defender: Claudio Gentile

20020425_1982_celebrate.jpg

When people mention the great Italian defenders, invariably the list will contain Gentile. He was part of one of their best (even by Italian standards) defences of all time, and a key reason why they won the 82 world cup.

Here he is owning Maradona, something that can’t be said for many people at that time:

Trivia: Despite his uncompromising style, , he was never sent off, a testament to the accuracy of his ‘challenges’!

Sweeper, Midfielder: Uli Stielike

uli20.jpg

Stielike was one of the most distinguished midfielders of his generation, winning everything at club level with both Bayern and Real Madrid, and the European Championship with Germany. He was voted best overseas player in La Liga four years running, but was not selected for Germany for a time, because he played abroad. Played as a sweeper or deep midfielder he pioneered the defensive midfield role which has now become widespread, using an incredible intelligence to read the game. Perfect for a midfield containing the more liberal Socrates, Juanito et al.

Trivia: Stielike was Ivory Coast manager in 2006, but had to step down due to the poor health and subsequent tragic death of his son

Midfielder: Willy Van de Kerkhof

netherlands-willy-van-de-kerkhof-122-panini-1994-world-cup-story-sonric-s-football-sticker-45473-p.jpg

Exponent of total football and a vital cog in the 1970s legendary Dutch team, this De Kerkhof twin was a mainstay for PSV and his nation, and was named in the FIFA 100. His resilience, passing ability and vision make him perfect for this side. On c.44 seconds he gets the second goal:

Trivia: Willy starred in PSVs first ever European trophy win, the UEFA cup in 1978.

Midfielder: Sócrates Brasileiro Sampaio de Souza Vieira de Oliveira (Sócrates)

socrates.jpg

Socrates is considered as one of the greatest midfielders ever. His trickery and vision were of the highest standard, and his passing key to the performance of one of the greatest Brazillian teams. He was the kind of player who could dictate whole games and also possessed great physical strength.

Youtube clip:
Trivia: Socrates was a qualified Doctor

Attacking midfielder/ forward: Juan Gómez González (Juanito)

juanito_posa.jpg

Juanito was an attacking midfield player, with a great aptitude for dribbling. He played for Real for ten years, part of the side which dominated La Liga in the 80s. He also played up front and weighed in with his fair share of goals, many of them stunners.

Youtube clips:
Trivia: In every home game, the Real fans chant his name in the 7th minute: "Illa illa illa, Juanito maravilla"

Number 10 / Forward: Kenny Dalglish

images

Considered as Scotlands greatest player, a Liverpool legend and winner of almost everything in club football. Dalglish was much more than a forward, and scared defences at home and abroad as Liverpool dominated Europe.

If you can bear to watch a LFC fan-made video (they generally are a level of cringeworthiness up from the normal), here is the youtube clip:

Trivia: We have had many causes to criticise Dalglish recently, but his work for charity and in support of the Hillsborough victims is highly commendable. He attended many of the funerals of the 96 fans who died.

Forward: Jorge Valdano

200px-Valdano_1986.jpg

Considered as the ‘Philosopher of Football’ by Real and Argentine fans, Valdano is one of the 1986 World Cup winning team, and also scored four goals in the tournament, second to Maradona’s 5 for Argentina. He retired at 33 due to Hepatitis.

Trivia: Raul named his first born son after Valdano

Forward, Right-sided midfielder: Rene Van de Kerkhof

netherlands-rene-van-de-kerkhof-92-panini-1994-world-cup-story-sonric-s-football-sticker-45460-p.jpg

Like his twin, Rene Van de Kerkhof was part of the iconic seventies Dutch team and featured heavily in the 1978 tournament, also appearing in the FIFA 100 list. Rene played most of his football in the right side of midfield but was intelligent and capable enough to play centrally, in the fluid Dutch system. A brilliant passer, Rene was also capable of weighing in with goals.

Trivia: Rene played the 78 final with his arm in cast. When the Argentines complained, the Dutch nearly walked off the field. An extra layer of padding was applied to appease the Argentines.

Tactics for this match (vs Nani Nana)

My starting formation will be a 5-3-2 with the Wing backs given some licence to get forward. Stielike will move forward into midfield when necessary to build attacks. Socrates will orchestrate, and Juanito will dribble from deep to support the forwards.

457891_Dream_Team.jpg

Sorry for the delay, I somehow forgot this was on despite checking the thread this morning. :wenger:

Hans van Breukelen:
Van Breukelen was a man for the big occasion and one of the best keepers in Europe during the 1980’s. A strong defensive leader and a penalty saving expert with lightning reflexes, he was a mainstay in the successful PSV team of the late 80’s, winning the treble in 1988. He also kept 35 clean sheets in 73 games for the Netherlands, with whom he won the European Championship in 1988, saving a penalty in the final.

Anatoliy Demyanenko:
Long-time Dynamo Kyiv captain and the 4th most capped player in USSR history. The influential Demyanenko was, similar to McGrain, very comfortable in advanced positions and was capable of dominating the entire flank. His consistency, endless stamina and tidy passing ability puts Demyanenko right up there with the best of his generation. Voted the 3rd best Ukrainian player of all time, trailing only Blokhin and Shevchenko.

Gaetano Scirea:
Not much needs to be said about this man; a mainstay in the Italian national team for over 10 years and a World Cup winner in 1982. Scirea was an elegant defender whose unrivalled reading of the game, anticipation and decisive tackling; coupled with his elegant ball control and ability to instinctively drive forward and spark counter-attacks make him one of the greatest defenders of all time. As a libero or a centre-back, Scirea was equally comfortable and always classy.

Karlheinz Forster:
The best man-marker in the history of the Bundesliga and an ever-present for West Germany for nearly 10 years. A dogged centre-back with a never say die attitude, and a nightmare for opposing players. Forster was one of the stars of West Germanys 1980 Euro victory at just 21 years of age, and would go on to win 81 caps, appearing in 2 World Cup finals and becoming Bundesliga champion with Stuttgart in 1984.

Danny McGrain:
Former Celtic captain and a legend of the Scottish game, Danny McGrain was certainly amongst the best right backs in Europe during the 1980’s. Renowned for his tackling ability, McGrain was also quick, versatile and very comfortable in the attacking third, possessing an excellent first touch and impeccable delivery.

Luis Fernandez:
A rock solid defensive midfielder and one of the best ball-winners in the draft. Fernandez made his international debut shortly after the 1982 World Cup in which France made the semi-finals and showed his class by immediately becoming a key player in the side, forming part of the famed magic square midfield alongside Tigana, Giresse and Platini.

Herbert Prohaska:
A dynamic and combative midfielder, not dissimilar to Paul Scholes in many respects, capable of surging runs forward, and armed with that uncanny ability to end up in the right place at the right time to smash the ball home – left foot, right foot or header. Prohaska was also adept at sitting deep, dictating the play with his intelligence and precision passing. Voted Austria’s player of the Century in 2004.

Glenn Hoddle:
One of the most naturally talented players England has ever produced, Hoddle was a player gifted with superb technique, incredible vision and passing ability. Comfortable in the centre or on the wing; Hoddle’s balance, close control and dribbling skills - allied with an explosive shot - meant he was always a danger to the opposition from anywhere on the pitch.

Eder:
A scorer of outrageous goals, the Left-Winger-cum-Striker possessed magical close control and dribbling skills and packed an absolute rocket of a shot. Nicknamed The Cannon, Eder was one of the stars of Brazil’s famed 1982 side, scoring a cheeky goal against Scotland and demonstrating the power of his shot by nearly breaking the crossbar with an absolute rocket of a free kick against Argentina.

Daniel Bertoni:
Argentine World Cup winner who scored the 3rd goal in the 1978 final. Bertoni was a flamboyant right-winger armed with a terrific turn of pace, accurate delivery and a superb eye for goal. He scored prolifically for Independiente playing alongside Ricardo Bochini, before successful spells in Italy with Fiorentina and Napoli.

Hans Krankl:
Another of Austria’s greatest ever players; Krankl was the typical centre forward, strong and quick and with a deadly left foot finish. An incredibly prolific goalscorer who took advantage of nearly every chance that came his way, with over 300 league goals in 400 games, and 34 in 69 for Austria. He won the European Golden Boot in 77/78 and followed it up by winning the Pichichi the next year after scoring 29 goals in 30 games for Barcelona in his first season for the club.

Gabriele Oriali:

My utility man, able to play in defence or midfield, Oriali was a another superb man-marker and his presence will enable me to play either a 4-3-3 or a 5-3-2 allowing Scirea to play either as a libero or a conventional centre-back.

Will keep comments for the match thread, when is it going up?

Jayvin, you really want to explain how that is meant to work.

Team Duffy PART 1...

460622_Champions_League_Team.jpg

Joel Bats Goalkeeper - France

...Here's a video of him in action...
Joel Bats

Major Honours
European Championship Winner 1984
French League Winner

"The Guardian" they called him. As with many French Goalkeepers throughout the years, Bats was loved as much for his eccentricity as he was for his goalkeeping skills. Beyond the swuarve singing to children and the Keegan like haircut, Bats was a safe pair of hands throughout his career. With 18 years of French first Division football behind him its obvious Bats was a consistant, reliable performer.

The first 6 years of his career were spent battling for the number 1 jersey at Sochaux, but he would come into his own when he joined Auxerre. Despite becoming number 1 at Auxerre, Bats would face a bigger challenge as he was diognosed with Testicular Cancer in 1982. Bats would thankfully over come this and would be number 1 for France's 1984 European Championship Win. A further challenge would come 2 years later at the 1986 World Cup.

Following a championship winning season with PSG, and after saving a Zico penalty in the Quarter Final, it would be Bats rare error in the Semi, that sent Germany on their way to the final. Bats would bounce back stronger. He amassed 50 caps for France up to 1989 and over 200 games for PSG before retiring in 1992 - still one of the most popular faces in French Football.

Antonio Cabrini Left Back - Italy
Cabrini1.jpg

Club Honours
Serie A: 1976–77, 1977–78, 1980–81, 1981–82, 1983–84, 1985–86
Coppa Italia: 1977–78, 1982–83
European Cup: 1985
UEFA Cup Winners' Cup: 1984
UEFA Cup: 1977
UEFA Super Cup: 1985
Intercontinental Cup: 1985

National Team Honours
FIFA World Cup: 1982

There's a reason Antonio Cabrini is revered as one of Italy's and Juve's all time greatest Defenders. After starting his career in the lower Italian leagues Cabrini signed for Juventus in 1976 and excelled from there. As a maroarding left-back, Cabrini would become known for both his Technical and Physical abilities. He could get up and down the line as well as any defender in history. He could tackle as well as any defender while being able to dribble aswel as any winger. This showed in his goal scoring average of just under 1 in 10, an average that was even higher in his 297 games for Juve, impressive for a left-back.

Cabrini carried his club form over to Italy. He was selected for the 1978 World Cup Squad (despite being Uncapped at the time), started the first game against France, won the FIFA Best Young Player of the Tournament and amassed a further 72 caps oiver 9 years. He was a mainstay in 3 Italian World Cup Squads, including the 1982 winning side. Cabrini still holds the record for most Italian International goals by a defender.

Cabrini's success both as a club star and International sensation mean he cannot be denied the tag of one of the greatest left backs ever to grace a football pitch.

Sergio Brio Centre Back - Italy
Sergio_Brio.jpg

Club Honours
Serie A: 1980/81, 1981/82, 1983/84, 1985/86
Italian Cup winner: 1978/79, 1982/83, 1989/90
UEFA Champions League winner: 1984/85
UEFA Cup Winners' Cup winner: 1983/84
UEFA Cup winner: 1989/90
European Super Cup winner: 1984
Intercontinental Cup winner: 1985

There's a reason this man looks hard as nails, it's because he is. After making his Juventus debut in 1979, Sergio Brio would make the centreback position his own for the following 12 years. During this time Brio became one of only 5 men to have won Europes 3 biggest club prizes, the European, Uefa and Cup Winners Cups. Amassing 370 games for a club like Juventus is no mean feat.
It was Brio's drive and determination to succeed that made his stellar career possible.

His uncomprimising tacking style and love of a good battle with a centre forward meant Brio was feared by his opponents. He really was a "Put your head where it matters" kind of defender. This desire to win, and the success it brought Brio throughout his career
make him an big part of this team.

Mark Lawrenson Centre Back - Rep. of Ireland
lawro.jpg

Club honours
Football League Championship: 1982, 1983, 1984, 1986 and 1988
FA Cup: 1986
European Cup: 1984
League Cup: 1982, 1983 and 1984
Charity Shield: 1982, 1986

Some Liverpool fans call this man the greatest tackler their team ever had. Good in the air, quick across the ground and commited in the tacle, Lawrenson was Liverpool's steady-eddie during one of their most successful periods.

After stints at Preston and Brighton between 1974 and 1981, Lawrenson found his feet when he joined Liverpool to replace the waivering Phil Thompson. Lawrenson would go on to make 332 appearances for Liverpool, winning countless League's, Cup's and even the European Cup in 1984. Lawenson not being fully fit for the 1985 final 1 year later proved costly as Liverpool lost 1-0.

While being technically gifted in his reading of the game, lawrenson was never afraid to challenge for a header, both in a defensive and attacking sense. His Career would come to an abrupt end after an Achillies injury in 1988, but he is still revered around Anfield today as one of their greatest defenders and a key cog in the Liverpool machine during their most successful period.

Phil Neal Right Back - England
phil_neal.jpg

Phil Neal

Club Honours
League Championship: 1975–76, 1976–77, 1978–79, 1979–80, 1981–82, 1982–83, 1983–84, 1985–86
UEFA Cup: 1976
Charity Shield: 1976, 1977, 1979, 1980, 1982
European Cup: 1977, 1978, 1981, 1984
European Super Cup: 1977
Football League Cup: 1981, 1982, 1983, 1984

I think uncomprimising is the word I'm looking for. Sometimes you have to give the dog their due, and the dog that is Phil Neal is the most decorated player in Liverpool history. Mr Consistant they knew him as around Anfield during the 1970's and 1980's. He debuted at Right Back for Liverpool, after rising 3 leagues from Northampton Town in 1974 and from there played over 650 times (Including a 365 league game consectutive run) for the club, scoring 60 goals in the process.

1 of which was the penalty which won Liverpool their first European Cup.
But it wasn't goals he was known for. It was his no nonsense defensive style and his marroarding wing-back play that helped bring liverpool such success in his time their.

Neal was Bob Paisley's first signing as Liverpool manager and arguably one of the most successful. Neal also amassed 50 caps for England in his peak, scoring 5 Goals. This man, without being spectacular know's success and know's how to win, something any good side needs.

Jan CeulemansCentral Midfield - Belgium
(Thanks to Poloroid for the Player Profile)
One of the best footballers in the world during the 80s, Ceulemans was the star player of the excellent Belgium side that reached the European Championship final in 1980 and the FIFA World Cup semi-final in 1986. He further endeared himself to fellow Belgians by turning down AC Milan to stay with Club Brugges in Belgium. Nicknamed Captain Courageous, Ceulemans was like a formidable force of nature, an unrelenting hurricane storming and tearing through the pitch with fearsome pace and power. He had a Rolls Royce engine that motored him to cover every blade of grass and still bomb forward to score goals (over 250 in his career). He had remarkable balance and extraordinary technique that belied his 6 foot 2 frame, enabling him to run with the ball at pace, beat players and score goals in a variety of ways from powering in a bullet header to thunderbolt shots.
Team honours: 4 Belgian League titles, 2 Belgian Cups, 5 Belgian Supercups
Individual honours: FIFA World Cup All-Stars (1986), UEFA European Championship Team of the tournament (1980), 3 times Belgian Footballer of the Year, 3 times Belgian Golden Shoe

Jean TiganaBox-to-Box Playmaker Thanks to TDon for the profile.
When talking about great midfielders, Tigana will invairibly be mentioned.
Tigana was a box-to box midfielder noted for his great movement, teamwork, pace and tireless stamina.
Tigana was also responsible for the defensive game and often went forward to create opportunities for his teammates.
He joined Michel Platini, Luis Fernandez and Alain Giresse in what was termed "the Magic Square" (le Carré Magique) – one of the great midfield foursomes of all time.

Bryan Robson Box-to-Box Midfielder - England
Robson.jpg

Club Honours
Premier League: 1992–93, 1993–94
FA Cup: 1982–83, 1984–85, 1989–90
Football League Cup: 1991–92
FA Charity Shield: 1983, 1990, 1993
UEFA Cup Winners' Cup: 1990–91
UEFA Super Cup: 1991

What a player.

What else can be said that we haven't already heard aboutr Captain Marvel? Robson, had the rare ability to change a game by sheer determination and Hardwork, in a way we have maybe only see from Roy Keane since.
But despite this, Robson was more than just an engine, he was skillful, could tackle, score goals, pick a pass...he was as gifted as it gets, and he did it box to box each time he stepped on the field.

After playing almost 200 games for west brom, scoring 40 goals, he moved to Manchester United in 1979. Robson was the shining light in what wasn't particuarly a great United side, but what the side lacked, Robson would try and make up for. He was the leader, the epitome of the battling captain who wouldnt let his team quit. United were the underdogs, but with Robson in the middle of the park, the felt like the biggest dog in the fight. He was the man you wanted in your side for the big games.

Robson's reward for his fight would come towards the end of his career at United with a 1991 Cup winners Cup success over Barcelona in Rottedam, and 2 League Titles with United. You can put all the most skillful stars on display but non of them were as well rounded in terms of skill, determination and tenacity than Robbo was. There's a reason he was my first pick, and a reason they called him Captain marvel - Because he was fecking magnificent.

Bryan Robson - What a Player.

Team Duffy Part 2...

Zico Right Sided Attacking Midfield Thanks to Tdon for the profile.
The man often referred to as the White Pele, Zico is commonly considered one of the most skilled dribblers and finishers ever and possibly the world's best player of the early 80's.
Zico was a true genius on the park and if you watch him it is apparent his vision, technique and passing ability was top notch as was his perfect Free Kick taking.
It's unfortunate that he never won a world cup but like Platini I think it speaks volumes that he did not need a worldcup medal to show the world how good he was.
He had a phenomenal scoring record off 66 goals in 88 international games for Brazil, 508 goals for Flamengo and countless others for Udinese and in the twilight of his career playing for Kashima Antlers in Japan.
With a record like this you would think that Zico was one of the ultimate strikers of all time, not an attacking midfielder and a goalscoring record like his really does show how great he actually was.
Zico was also a free kick specialist. The way he could get it up and over the wall from so close, and to get it to drop into the top corner was just outstanding.

Kevin Keegan Striker - England
kevin-keegan-06.jpg

Club Honours
Football League First Division: 1972–73, 1975–76, 1976–77
FA Cup: 1974
FA Charity Shield: 1974, 1976
European Cup: 1977
UEFA Cup: 1973, 1976
German Bundesliga: 1978–79
Runners-up 1979–80

Individual Honours
Ballon d'Or: 1978, 1979
FWA Footballer of the Year: 1976
PFA Players' Player of the Year: 1982

Kevin Keegan needs little introduction to British Football fans. He was one of the Superstars of the 70's, opitomizing the success of Liverpool, winning 3 League titles and a European Cup with them, before departing in 1977.
Many predicted it would all be down hill from there, as Keegan left for the Bundersliga and more specifically Hamburg, but nobody had seen anything yet. In 4 years at the club Keegan Transformed the German side and won the league in the 1978-79 season.

The following year Hamburg would be the almost men of football, Runners up in the league and losing a European Cup Final to Brian Clogh's Nottingham Forest. Despite the teams disappointment in the latter season, both 1978 and 1979 saw Keegan pick up the Ballon D'or - being name European Footballer of the year - all while playing from a deeper role with Hamburg.

Keegans energy, flair, eye for goal and all around willingness to work for the team made him a favourite wherever he played. He would return to England for spells with both Southampton and Newcastle, managing a better goalscoring record than 1 in 2 at both clubs.

This transferred to international duty as Keegan became 1st choice for England, and also captain between '72 and '82. A legend at all the clubs he played for, a goalscoring record better thnan 1 in 3, and a true Superstar of football, Keegan remains one of the greatest players of his time.

Oleg Blokhin Left Sided Attacking Midfield
1498561_w2.jpg

Club Honours
Soviet Division 1: 1971, 1974, 1975, 1977, 1980, 1981, 1985, 1986
Soviet Cup: 1974, 1978, 1982, 1985, 1987
USSR Super Cup: 1980, 1985, 1986
UEFA Cup Winners Cup: 1975, 1986
UEFA Super Cup: 1975

Individual Honours
European Footballer of the Year: 1975
Golden Foot award: 2009
Soviet Footballer of the Year: 1973, 1974, 1975
Ukrainian Footballer of the Year: 1972, 1973, 1974, 1975, 1976, 1977, 1978, 1980, 1981
Soviet Top League top scorer: 1972, 1973, 1974, 1975, 1977
Soviet Top League All-Time Goals and Appearances Leader
UEFA Cup Winners' Cup 1985–86 top scorer
USSR national football team All-Time Goals and Caps Leader

Oleg Blokhin is a Ukranian institution. Back when the old USSR was around, Blokhin lead his club side, Dynamo Kiev to glory.

All the while he was becoming a legend for his country, bagging 42 goals in 112 International appearnces for his county (Both appearnce and goals tally still stand as the most for a Soviet Player), including being the front line at both the 1982 and 1986 World Cups - scoring in both tournaments. Put this alongside his 211 goals in 432 appearances for Kiev and you have one of the most prolific goal scorers of his time. Blokhin's strength, skill and eye for goal made him a handful for any defender.

Arguably Blokhin would have been a world star, if not for the political shackles that bout him. 8 League Titles, 2 Cup Winners Vups (with goals in both finals) and many other trophies he lead Kiev to.

This is the man you would want leading your frontline in the big games. Speed, control, dribbling and vision - He was the complete front man.

SUBS:

Carlo Ancelotti Deep-lying Playmaker - Italy
ancelotti_player.jpg

Club Honours
Serie A: 1982-83, 1987-88, 1991-92
Coppa Italiana: 1980, 1981, 1984, 1986, 1988
European Cup: 1988-89, 1989-90
UEFA Super Cup: 1989, 1990
Intercontinental Cup: 1989, 1990

While some Midfielders keep the play ticking over, some Midfields have an eye for a pass. Carlo Ancelotti had both.

The Man the called Carletto began his career at Parma, before moving to Roma where he captained the side to the Seria A title in 1983, and 4 Coppa Italia successes, and a losing effort in the 1984 European Cup final. After 18 years at Roma the old dog still had some life in him yet. AC Milan signed Ancelotti in 1987 and he mas immediatly integeral, Winning the League Title the following season, and then making up for the loss with Roma by helping Milan win the European cup in both 1989 (Including a humbling goal against Madrid in the Semi and a stellar performance in a 4-0 final win) and 1990.
Ancelotti was allowed to play, allowed the time to play neat 1-2's and also pick out sweeping 50 yard passes due to being surrounded by such great players.

During his time at Roma he was the driving force and the heartbeat that kept the side going. Once he moved he was the heartbeat of the Milan side, who are widly regarded as one of the best of all time, In a way that meant he could finally reach his potential and play with the Gullit's and Van Bastens, the class Ancelotti belonged in. Capped 25 times for his country, Ancelotti remains an AC Milan legend not just for his management of the side in the 2000's but for his time as one of rossinairi, and his supreme ability.

Rene Houseman Right Winger - Argentina
20080820105406houseman.jpg

Club Honours
Copa Libertadores - 1984
Metropolitano - 1973

International Honours
FIFA World Cup - 1978

El Loco, as the Argentines called him, was a flawed genius. 2 footed, quick and technically gifeted, this man had the lot. He was the opitome of Attacking Intent.

Houseman gained noterity for being one of the first men to openly dribble and advance with the ball while not letting it hit the ground.
Houseman was not widely known to the Europeans outside of his 55 International Caps, but his career in his homeland of Argentina, specifically at Huracan is legendary.

Housemans main expoits and success came with Argentina, including winning the 1978 World Cup - scoring 3 goals in the tournament. Houseman played from the right of midfied. Blessed with silky skills and the ungodly ability to beat a player with ease her would cut inside and take players on like they weren't there.

In his time at Huracan he had a goal scoring record of just short of 1 in 2 from the wing and just short of 1 in 3 for Argentina. At only 5ft 5, his low centre of gravity meant he could duck and weave between defences and create oppotunites at a premium for his team mates.

Amazingly, yet sadly, throughout his career Houseman struggled with Alcoholism, alledgely even sometimes playing drunk. Despite this he was still a star for both club and country, and is still regarded alongside Corbatta, as one of Argentina's greatest wingers - with Maradonna once placing Houseman as the 8th greatest player of all time.

Fernando Chalana Left Winger - Portugal
199.jpg

Look at that Moustache.This was a man with class! The little genius they called him. Still regarded as one of Benfica's and Portugals greatest ever players, Chalana was a skillful, nippy little left winger who would ghost past defenders at will, and use his phenominal crossing ability to create chances. His ball control and dribbling skill, with both feet meant he was revered around the world.

His finest moments came helping Portugal (with whom he won his first cap at 17) to the 1984 Euro semi-finals - producing 2 assists in the now famous 3-2 Extra time loss to France. Chalana was more than a tournament player though.

225 appearances for Benfica in 2 spells at the clubs (with a stint at Bordoux sandwiched in between) means he is regarded by the benfica fans as an all time great! 5 League Titles and 3 Cups followed as Chalana scored and assisted alike for the Reds.

Injuries cut his career short at 33 years of age, but nobody can doubt the quality of such a special player in his prime.

Rui Jordão Striker - Portugal
Jord%25C3%25A3o%2B-%2BSCP.jpg

Rui Jordao

Goals were something that came naturally to Rui Jordao. 228 goals in 390 club matches speaks for itself. Starting his career at Benfica, he scored 62 goals in 90 games in 5 seasons before a move to rivals Sporting in 1977 provided Jordão with the opening to the brightest time in his career.

An amazing 140 goals followed in 207 games for Sporting, where he spent 10 years. During this time he played 43 games for Portugal with his finest moment coming in scoring 2 in the now famous 3-2 loss to France in the Euro 1984 semi-final.

Simply put, this man is a born goal scorer.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

TACTICS
GOALKEEPER
In between the sticks is Bats, his description speaks for itself, European Championship winner with France. He is this teams "Guardian".

------------------------------------------------------------------------

DEFENCE
It's no conincidence that my defence is made up of 2 half, both half have won the European Cup together. The right hand side of Liverpools 1984 European Cup winning defence, Phil Neal and Mark Lawrenson, and the left hand side of Juventus' 1985 European cup winning Defence, Sergio Brio and Antonio Cabrini.

The stability of Lawrenson and Brio in the centre allows Neal and Cabrini the room to get forward and support the wingers. The one thing my defence has that no other defense in the competition can boast it a proven understanding. Lawrenson and Neal played together for Liverpool in 4 league winning seasons and as mentioned a European Cup winning campaign.
This is mirrored in Brio and Cabrini (also a World Cup winning left back) who also won 4 League titles in Italy together in addiction to a European Cup.
Overall the defence boasts a total of 23 League Titles, 7 European Cups and a World Cup, thats before getting into National cups, Uefa Cups and Cup Winners Cups.

A Defence Built on Understanding, Stability and Success.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

MIDFIELD
In Midfield the mix of the English League's Finest, with the class of the Italians continues as Robson and Ancolotti (another 2 time European Cup winner) stand side by side in the middle. Captain Marvel is the legs of the team, the driving force such as he was for years for Man United. With Robson getting stuck in and working the opposition midfield hard, this will give time for Ancelotti to dictate the game.

Ancelotti will look to spread the play to the wide positions where Houseman (the sides 2nd World Cup Winner) and Chalana can look to get at the opposition defence. Both wingers are 2 footed, giving the option of switching wings to confuse the oppositions marking. Both very alike in their direct, pacey approach, the dribbling ability of both Chalana and Houseman is enough to baffle any defender and provide plenty of chances for the teams Strikers.

STRIKERS
What more do you want from a frontline than 2 former European Footballers of the Year (Keegan winning it on 2 seperate Occasions) with over over 500 career goals between them. Keegan showed throughout his career how well he works in a 2 man frontline and how well he drops off in order to create chances. With chances being created left right and centre, Blokhin is the man to be putting the chances away.
A born goal scorer, he is strong, pacey, skillful and has a hitman like accuracy when finishing.

OVERALL
Throughout the team you have the balance of toughness (Neal, Brio, Blokhin) creativity (Cabrini, Chalana, Ancelotti, Houseman) and determination (Keegan, Lawrenson, Robson) to beat any side.

SUB:
Rui Jordao is another born goalscorer, and it was a hard descision to leave him out given his goalscoring record, but the frontline of 2 former European Footballer of the Year winners was too good to turn down.

Jordao is ready to come in if the side needed goals and his positioning, strength and alertness makes him a great target man. For a display of what is waiting on the bench, check out Jordao's 2 goals against France in the video above. Note both goals were assisted by my own creative winger, Chalana.

BRING IT ON!!!

To avoid making it a nightmare for him, let's agree on a basic format:

1. Describe gameplan
  2. Post link to player profiles (post it on the main thread)
  3. Tactics sheet from footbaluser or wherever
  4. Send by PM
It makes it much easier to compare teams and imagine the game being played out if the teamsheet are alongside eachother. Therefore:

1. If your team goes first in alphabetical order send him 1-2-3
  2. If it goes second send him 3-1-2

PART I:
Team IL

Goal Keeper
Jean Marie Pfaff:
9-tw-1987-3.jpg

Pfaff was up there among, if not the best goal keeper in the 1980s. He was a major reason for the Belgian squad’s success. Qualified for the ’82 and ’86 world cups and ended up third in the 1986 edition, where they were stopped in the semis by Maradona’s magic. Also a 3 time Bundesliga winner with Bayern.
He was stylish, had great reflexes, tremendous anticipation and probably one of the best 1-1 stopper we’ve witnessed. While his distribution wasn’t up there with the likes of Dasayev, he was no mug with his kicks. Him along with my central defenders will be my rock.
Recognition:
Two time European GK of the year.
He was named Europe’s 10th best goalkeeper, 16th best in the world by IFFHS, the highest ranking for any goalkeeper born in the 1950s (among European GKs).
Trivia:
He was INSANE. “Legendary Belgian goalkeeper Jean Marie Pfaff was dropped from Belgium's 1982 World Cup side after allegedly pretending to drown in the swimming pool at the team hotel.”
What to watch:
Might not serve either of the GKs with glory but Belgium vs USSR from the 1986 WC which ended 4:3 in Belgium’s favour. You’ll catch a glimpse of two of the best keepers ever in Pfaff and Dasayev. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hXk4-xSRI6g&feature=relmfu

Central Defenders:
Daniel Passarella:

1557505.jpg

Do I need to say more? Best defender scorer in history. Won the world cup TWICE with Argentina in ’78 and ’86 though he didn’t play any matches in the ’86 edition due to his relationship with Maradona and a bout of intestinal virus.
He had everything you want in a defender. Leader, great header tough tackle and the ability to read the play. He also scored an astonishing 140 goals in 447 matches throughout his club career and 22 in 70 at an international level. He used to start a lot of attacks with from the back and was comfortable on the ball. Oh and did I mention he could be dirty too. Used to elbow players when the ref wasn’t looking.
He was known as ‘The great captain’ due to his leadership skills and organizational abilities.
Recognition:
Maradona: He’s the best defender I’ve ever seen, and the best header of a ball too – in attack as well as defence.
Menotti: I had no doubts about making him captain. His professionalism and ability to influence others were remarkable.
Trivia:
FIFA.com says “Even amid the jubilant celebrations of 25 June 1978, the captain showed his customary stubbornness by guarding the coveted Trophy as if his life depended on it. Mario Kempes, the tournament’s top scorer, joked about his skipper's attachment to the coveted prize in a FIFA.com interview: “Daniel didn't want to give it to anyone. I never got to touch it once. He had his elbows up in typical Passarella style, so no-one could get it off him. He even refused to hand it over to the security men who came to the dressing room to retrieve it!”
Things to watch:
Watch anything. The guy was a beast in all of it.

Migueli:
migueli.jpg

For those who don’t know him, think of Puyol on steroids. While he really didn’t do anything of note on the international stage, he was a beast for Barcelona. He had a record number of appearance for Barca 664 times. He won the cup winners cup twice, La Liga twice with Barca in a career that spanned over 15 years at Barca alone retiring at the age of 36.

He was known as Tarzan due to his size, commitment. He was the archetypal no-nonsense defender. Tough in tackle, often came rushing out to put his foot in. Physically intimidating. And from whatever I’ve seen of him, not slow at all. He was however, most known for his commitment to the cause. He would form a great partner to Passarella.
Recognition:
At that time, highest appearances for Barcelona.
Trivia:
2 interesting tit-bits:
1. he played in the 1979 European Cup Winners Cup final against Fortuna Dusseldorf with a broken collar bone
2. If I ever were to face him in a fight, I’d pee myself. Just google a picture – Interval Level (2012)

Things to watch:
Sappy stuff: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BWvJJJp9DBk

Wing Backs:
Hans Jurgen “Dixie” Dorner

110626101540223967.jpg

Considered one of the best East German players of all times, he was capped over a 100 times making him the second most capped East German player. He won the Olympic gold at the Montreal games and won the East German league 5 times and is the most decorated captain at Dresden. Oh and East German player of the year a record 3 times
He was a versatile player. Could play multiple positions. Was right footed but could play left back. Great pace, calm under pressure, could make some great passes out of defence and had great dribbling skills. On the forefront though, he was solid in defence. He scored a fair few because he had a fearsome right foot. He scored 70 goals in 400 games for Dresden. His only major weakness could be considered his lack of strength. But when you have Passarella, Migueli and Pezzey backing you up, you run up without fear.
Recognition:
Olympic gold medalist
3 time East German of the year award: a record.
Trivia:
Michael Ballack names him the “Beckenbauer of the East” and among his all time German national team.
Things to watch:
Must watch: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KEZT_6YYGJA

Konrad Weisse:
31899.jpg

The other side of Dorner. Defensively solid and capped 86 times for East Germany. He was a part of the East German team which defeated the reigning European champions, West Germany in WC 1974.
Things to watch:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HxG7YjqQVJA&feature=related East v West (No 4 in the blue kit)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DhGq9dvPa3Y Olympic Finals. Both Dorner and Weiss are playing.

The Central Midfield/ Sweeper
Bruno Pezzey
Pezzey..jpg

Think Busquets but a bit more defensive that he could play sweeper or central defence. Great short pass. Strong at heading. Considered one of the best Austrian players of all time. His highlight came in 1980 when he was part of the Frankfurt team which won the UEFA Cup and he was nominated for Ballon D’Or in 1979, 80, 81, 82. Strong technique and comfortable on the ball would make him an ideal sweeper and the base for my attacks. He was also good for a few goals given his height. Scored 70 in 500 odd appearances at club level and 9 in 84 at international level.

Paul Breitner

tumblr_lb5r5tq6Im1qey19go1_500.jpg

Midfield general. Started left back ended box to box central midfielder. Euro winner with Germany. 5 times German league winner, 2 Spanish leagues with Real Madrid, European Cup with Bayern. German footballer of the year in 1981 Silver in European footballer of the year in the same year. German midfielder of the year 4 times. World Cup finalist in 1982 and a winner in 1974. Whew! Started for Bayern at age 19 and Germany at 20, he was known as El Afro for his hairstyle.
As a player, typical midfield enforcer. Due to his left back origins, very strong in defence. Hard tackler. He was the one laying the ball off to Kaltz, Rummenigie and German attack in their run to the final in ’82. He was a leader considered Beckenbauer’s lieutenant. Very cool head too. He was the one who took the penalty in the finals in ’74 when they were a goal down and no one wanted to. At the age of 23!
After a series of disputes with the coaching staff and a handful of players, he withdrew from the national set-up in 1978. That year’s FIFA World Cup in Argentina turned into a debacle for Germany, prompting Karl-Heinz Rummenigge to lead a group of players arguing that the side was not competitive without Breitner. He was duly recalled, and helped the team reach the Final of the 1982 FIFA World Cup.
He also scored in the finals they lost becoming one of 4 players to score in the world cup finals twice. He has a record of scoring 103 goals in 369 matches at club level and 10 in 48 at international. This is due to a hammer of a long shot. At Munich, him and Rummenigge formed such a formidable one-two-punch that they were often called Breitnigge.
He is probably among the best central midfielders in the draw.
Honours:
Too long to list. Look up.
Trivia:
Very outspoken and controversial.
Things to watch:
WC Semis against France : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DY8O9qhFbj4 (See 30 seconds in as to what he’ll do for my team; and for coolness, check his penalty at 7:23)
Penalty against Netherlands – ’72 finals: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xV-H4288yNk

Cesar Cueto:
cueto.jpg

Regarded as the best Peruvian player of all time, Cesar Cueto was pivotal to his team’s win in the Copa America in 1975. He was called the Left Footed Poet. He was the orchestrator of a Peru team that qualified of 2 world cups defying expectations and was the primary provider to Cubillas. They beat a few large teams on the way including Argentina. He was Carlos Valderammas icon and was considered by Bochini as the main reason for Peru’s artistry.
Playing style was very akin to Xavi. He played in the centre and not right up top. He had a eye for a long pass and was extremely famous for his pin point long passes. His ball carrying, retention and dribbling skills were up there with the best with the ball seemingly stuck to his feet. And he had an eye for a pass. A defence splitting pass that could unravel an entire defence. All in all, a great central midfielder and a great partner for a dynamo like Breitner.
Honours:
I am grateful for giving me the satisfaction of being in this match. I have great admiration for the "Poet of Zurda" as we called on Colombia to Professor César Cueto. It is an honor to be here. Valderrama
Trivia:
Found this video of him playing in 2007 in a Chile vs Peru all stars match. He still had “it”
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3oGvdZRqXEA
Things to watch:
I can’t really link you to full matches, there are too few. But here’s some midfield performances
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ULUQYCle-E4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fo0BGg8t9YQ
And some tribute videos:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F74WHt8sKGc

The Attack
Bruno Conti
bruno-conti-roma.jpg

Bruno Conti is rated as one of the greatest players in history of AS Roma. He is widely regarded as Italy’s greatest winger of all-time and the best winger in the world during the early 1980s. He was the outstanding player of the 1982 World Cup. He scored one of the goals of the tournaments vs. Peru, menaced defenses with his dribbling and creativity, and in the Final vs. Germany drew a penalty and set up the third, clinching goal. He was among the best in the world during his time. He made 300+ appearance for Roma.

He could play both left and right wing and was tremendous with either foot having scored scorchers with either. Quick, tricky, strong, he had it all. He could score a few. He could cut in or hug the touchline.
What to watch:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K3URACZvmjM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=fIkfgOPwYuo#!
With Italy: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ctTe5berd84
WC Final 1982 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aUYD4joNuvs

Grzegorz Lato (Right wing)
235px-Lato_en_1973.jpg

Grzegorz Lato is regarded as the greatest right-winger ever to come from the Eastern Europe. Lato's playing career coincided with the golden era of Polish football, Blessed with remarkable acceleration, the talented winger consistently lived up to the high expectations placed before him whenever he was given the opportunity to compete at the international level. He scored twice against Argentina in 1974 world cup and was the golden shoe winner. His world cup record reads 20 matches – 10 goals , 7 assists :eek:
A consistent and complete team player. His uncanny awareness on the playing field was ostensibly what allowed him to achieve great success at the international and club levels. He scored around 150 goals during his club career. Lato holds the all-time record the most appearances for Poland national team. Remarkably, He is an all-time World’s Top scorer as winger for international competition.
Recognizable due to his premature baldness and the multitude of celebratory kisses he was prone to give out after goals. For club was a lethal striker, yet for Poland was lined up on the right side as a player, but for a few years in the mid-seventies, managed to combine his predator personality with his role and was for a time Poland's most devastating outlet in attack. As a winger he operated in stark contrast to many of his contemporaries, while traditionally wingers would dazzle crowds with feints and sublime dribbling in an attempt to embarrass defenders before putting in a cross. Lato simply played for the benefit of the team, never squandering possession and was considered to be the complete team player. Though in his prime as a striker, had super finishing ability and startling aerial prowess, mostly due to his impeccably timed runs, also had a knack for anticipating defensive blunders and pouncing instantly.

Began his life as a footballer when at 12 joined the junior team of Stal Mielec, a club located in a tiny town in the southwest of the country. Lato from an early age had two undeniable characteristics, the first was his speed, 'he had the look of him as a winger that was faster than the wind', who could outrun any opponent. The second was his nose for getting goals, a half a chance was usually enough for Lato to capitalize. But in his youth Lato admitted himself, as being a terrible technical player, and thus found his initial breakthrough into Poland's senior team extremely difficult due to his linear style, despite his prolific nature with the junior national team. Over his 8 years with Stal's youth team Lato claimed to have been blessed by the presence of excellent trainers, who taught him the ability 'to think on the pitch', which could be utilized in place of world class technique, Lato thus developed this to an advanced degree and was able to disseminate a situation instantly and instinctively choose the best course of action. While he would also improve his overall game in time, his intuitive team understanding became one of his greatest assets. Worked hard on ball control and transmission with the ball aspects of his game, that was often neglected in Poland where speed and strength training for youth was above technical proficiency. Upon Lato's rise to the senior team after Stal's promotion, Górski in 1971 on closer inspection decided to debut Lato in the Polish senior squad stating, 'A bit of a windmill, but to me it seems that something will come of him.'

Lato was the unquestionable star and driving force behind Stal's success, being a key figure in taking the club from obscurity to two titles in 1973 and 1976 while being the League top goal scorer in 1973 and 1975. Made 295 appearances, scoring 117 goals. Though Stal was an excellently run and organized club at the time, and the squad was filled only with youngsters, while Kasperczak, Domarski, and Kulka were the supporting pillars of the side, its assortment of talented youths allowed the formation of a very solid and competitive team, that managed to become shock champions twice, at the expense of larger clubs. Indeed Stal's appearance in Europe was a strange occurrence for the small town, staging matches against illustrious teams such as Hamburg and Real Madrid in their modest stadium that mysteriously managed to accommodate 40,000 spectators on those occasions, nearly the whole of the town's population.
For Poland, Lato is the record cap holder with 104* appearances and 45* goals. He has won gold and silver in the 1972 and 1976 Olympics respectively and was top scorer in the 1974 World Cup with 7 goals in 7 matches, a feat that launched him to sixth place in that year's Ballon d'Or. He has also scored in three World Cups with a total of 10 goals and 7 assists in 20 games, despite being played progressively deeper with each consecutive tournament.
Think Valencia. Think Valencia who scores 1 every 2 matches. Who doesn’t get yellows. Cautioned only once in 10 seasons with Stal.
3 times Polish league winner, Olympic gold and silver, two 3rd place finishes at world cups and a golden shoe winner in 1972. All that for a WINGER!
Trivia:
2 tit-bits
1. Lato in his 10 seasons with Stal was only once cautioned, the actual incident itself was a bit unusual. In a match against Lech Poznań, Jan Domarski had what seemed to have been a legitimate goal disallowed by referee Eksztajn, Lato having been very close to the action and witnessed the obvious error, immediately approached Eksztajn and politely described the entire situation and very calmly asked, 'Sir referee, on what basis have you whistled him as offside?'. Eksztajn rather curtly replied 'No discussion Lato, or you will get a yellow card'. Lato then with a smile on his lips said, 'No, no -- bravo, bravo sir referee', and began to clap sarcastically. Mr. Eksztajn kept his promise and cautioned Lato. The incident itself may not have been notable but what followed is, the PZPN in an attempt to punish Lato for his behaviour towards an official, imposed a one-match suspension just in time for an upcoming fixture against Legia Warszawa. Lato immediately appealed the injustice of being suspended for receiving a single yellow card, and was ultimately allowed to play, in a match in which he scored the lone winner, this in turn caused a storm of controversy in the capital, with newspapers thundering about the injustice of the situation.
2. during the World Cup in Germany, before the game against Yugoslavia, Lato was approached by a soldier of the protection service claiming that his family had come to visit him, Lato aware of the improbability that his wife and son would have been allowed to leave the country on such short notice and that visits from relatives were not to be excepted at that stage, was sceptical. Yet Lato would meet members of his family that he never knew existed. Shocked by the confirmation of intimate details they knew and their fluency in Polish, and further surprised by their proposal for him to remain in West Germany after the tournament and change his citizenship (a simple matter considering Lato had been born in the former Prussian city of Malbork) and play in the Bundesliga for 1. FC Köln. The matter seemed to be panning out as Lato's wife was due to arrive on a visit after the game against Brazil, with the German relatives promising his son could be brought through by the Red Cross into West Germany within six months. Ultimately Lato decided against the course, feeling content with his circumstances in Poland. Lato later reminisced that though he may have been a richer man now had he moved to the West then, that he has no regrets with his choices.

What to watch:
Sadly, not much is available.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZVFv319CUQ

Paolo Rossi:
220px-Paolo_Rossi_1982.JPG

Lets go: 3 world cups, 14 games, 9 goals. 1 world cup win. 1982 golden ball and golden shoe winner. Rossi is one of only two players to have won all three honours at a single tournament. 1982 European and world player of the year. 1978 WC Silver ball. 2 times FIFA WC all star team. 1983 European top scorer. Serie A to complement all that.

As a player plagued by injury, he did struggle in parts of his career. But he was a big tournament player as his record at world cup’s is untouchable. His hat trick against Brazil in the 1982 wc will go down as one of the best striker performance in football history. He is a quick player who was absolutely lethal in the box. Was great at making runs behind the defense and quite a handful to deal with.

What to watch:
THAT hat trick: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wwGVki2jzI4

I don't know what people expect me to do with player profiles 3 posts long. If they don't fit in one post obviously they won't fit in the OP.

I don't know what people expect me to do with player profiles 3 posts long. If they don't fit in one post obviously they won't fit in the OP.

Don't worry. I'll send you 1 post long message. You can link it to profiles.

I'll PM you in 25 mins or so

OP Post:
This is a request to all voters to read full profiles before voting.
https://www.redcafe.net/f7/50s-retro-football-fantasy-draft-356200/index13.html#post11962124

Pfaff: Pfaff was up there among, if not the best goal keeper in the 1980s. He was a major reason for the Belgian squad’s success. Qualified for the ’82 and ’86 world cups and ended up third in the 1986 edition, where they were stopped in the semis by Maradona’s magic. Also a 3 time Bundesliga winner with Bayern.

Passarella: Best defender scorer in history. Won the world cup TWICE with Argentina in ’78 and ’86 though he didn’t play any matches in the ’86 edition due to his relationship with Maradona and a bout of intestinal virus.
Migueli: think of Puyol on steroids. While he really didn’t do anything of note on the international stage, he was a beast for Barcelona. He had a record number of appearance for Barca 664 times. He won the cup winners cup twice, La Liga twice with Barca in a career that spanned over 15 years at Barca alone retiring at the age of 36.

“Dixie” Dorner : Considered one of the best East German players of all times, he was capped over a 100 times making him the second most capped East German player. He won the Olympic gold at the Montreal games and won the East German league 5 times and is the most decorated captain at Dresden. Oh and East German player of the year a record 3 times

Weise: The other side of Dorner. Defensively solid and capped 86 times for East Germany. He was a part of the East German team which defeated the reigning European champions, West Germany in WC 1974.

Pezzey: Great short pass. Strong at heading. Considered one of the best Austrian players of all time. His highlight came in 1980 when he was part of the Frankfurt team which won the UEFA Cup and he was nominated for Ballon D’Or in 1979, 80, 81, 82. Strong technique and comfortable on the ball would make him an ideal sweeper and the base for my attacks. He was also good for a few goals given his height. Scored 70 in 500 odd appearances at club level and 9 in 84 at international level.

Breitner: Started left back ended box to box central midfielder. Euro winner with Germany. 5 times German league winner, 2 Spanish leagues with Real Madrid, European Cup with Bayern. German footballer of the year in 1981 Silver in European footballer of the year in the same year. German midfielder of the year 4 times. World Cup finalist in 1982 and a winner in 1974. Whew! Started for Bayern at age 19 and Germany at 20, he was known as El Afro for his hairstyle.

Cueto: Regarded as the best Peruvian player of all time, Cesar Cueto was pivotal to his team’s win in the Copa America in 1975. He was called the Left Footed Poet. He was the orchestrator of a Peru team that qualified of 2 world cups defying expectations and was the primary provider to Cubillas. They beat a few large teams on the way including Argentina. He was Carlos Valderammas icon and was considered by Bochini as the main reason for Peru’s artistry.

Conti: Bruno Conti is rated as one of the greatest players in history of AS Roma. He is widely regarded as Italy’s greatest winger of all-time and the best winger in the world during the early 1980s. He was the outstanding player of the 1982 World Cup. He scored one of the goals of the tournaments vs. Peru, menaced defenses with his dribbling and creativity, and in the Final vs. Germany drew a penalty and set up the third, clinching goal. He was among the best in the world during his time. He made 300+ appearance for Roma.

Lato: Grzegorz Lato is regarded as the greatest right-winger ever to come from the Eastern Europe. Lato's playing career coincided with the golden era of Polish football, Blessed with remarkable acceleration, the talented winger consistently lived up to the high expectations placed before him whenever he was given the opportunity to compete at the international level. He scored twice against Argentina in 1974 world cup and was the golden shoe winner. His world cup record reads 20 matches – 10 goals , 7 assists :eek:

Rossi: Lets go: 3 world cups, 14 games, 9 goals. 1 world cup win. 1982 golden ball and golden shoe winner. Rossi is one of only two players to have won all three honours at a single tournament. 1982 European and world player of the year. 1978 WC Silver ball. 2 times FIFA WC all star team. 1983 European top scorer. Serie A to complement all that.

Very sorry for the lateness

Player profiles
Harald "Toni" Schumacher
A key player in the West German side that won the European Championship in 1980 and reached consecutive World Cup finals (1982, 1986), Schumacher stands out in an era of great goalkeepers for his mental strength under pressure and ability to step up in major tournaments. Rightfully condemned for his foul on Battison in 1982, Schumacher nevertheless did not let the negative fallout affect his performances, turning in top-of-the-class performances at the UEFA European Championship (1984) and FIFA World Cup (1986). His instrumental role in West Germany’s run to the 1986 final was recognised with the Silver Ball award, behind Golden Ball winner Diego Maradona.
Team honours: 2 times FIFA World Cup runner-up, 1 UEFA European Championship, 2 Bundesliga titles, 3 DFB-Pokal, 1 Turkish league title
Individual honours: World Cup Silver Ball (1986), UEFA European Championship Team of the Tournament (1984), 2 times German Footballer of the Year (1984, 1986)

Vladimir Bessonov
A Soviet all-time great who was equally brilliant in midfield and defence powering up and down the pitch with turbo-charged speed. Technically accomplished and blessed with a potent shot (scoring ratio of 1 in 10 for Dynamo Kyiv), his speed of thought and fleet of foot enabled him to steal a move ahead of his opponents.
Team honours: UEFA European Football Championship runner-up, 1988 Summer Olympics Gold Medal, 1 UEFA Cup Winners Cup, 6 USSR league titles, 5 USSR Cups, 3 USSR Super Cups
Individual honours: FIFA U-20 World Cup Golden Ball (1977), Ukrainian Footballer of the Year (1989)

Jose Antonio Camacho
Real Madrid and Spanish all-time great, Camacho captained club and country in a long and illustrious career where he led by example and inspired teammates with his dedication to the cause. His legendary duels against Johann Cruyff and Dragan Dzajic cemented his status as one of the toughest defenders ever. Mario Kempes said this of Camacho "He was like a hunting dog; wherever you went on the pitch, he went. You knew that if you looked over your shoulder, he’d be there waiting for you. He didn’t talk either, he just breathed in a very strange way – “Fsst, Fsst, Fsst, Fsst”! A real nightmare"
Team honours: 9 Spanish La Liga titles, 5 Spanish Cups, 1 Spanish League Cup, 2 Spanish Supercups, 2 UEFA Cups, European Championship runner-up

Anton Ondrus
A Czechoslovakian legend who captained his team to the UEFA European Championship in 1976 and third place in 1980, Ondrus’s reading of the game and ability on the ball equipped him to initiate attacks from the back. His height and heading prowess also made him a dominant force in the air, as illustrated by his towering opener in the European Championship semi-final against Johann Cruyff’s Netherlands. The fairytale did not end there as Ondrus delivered another stellar display in the final against Beckanbauer’s West Germany, the reigning World and European champions. His leadership and nerveless penalty in the shootout after a two-all draw elevated Czechoslovakia to victory and the title of European Champions.
Team honours: 1 UEFA European Championship, 2 Czechoslovak League titles, Czechoslovak Cup
Individual honours: UEFA European Championship Team of the Tournament (1976)

Willie Miller
Scotland’s greatest ever centre-back, Miller captained his country in an era where Scotland enjoyed abundance of riches in talent, his consistent excellence keeping the higher profile Alan Hansen out of the starting eleven. At club level, Miller dedicated his entire career to Aberdeen, leading them with great distinction as they broke the Old Firm monopoly and achieved success on the continental stage. In Aberdeen’s conquest of the 1983 Cup Winners Cup overcoming the likes of Bayern Munich and Real Madrid, Miller was their best player as he nullified the attacking threats of opponents. His excellence in the fundamentals of defending – his first-rate anticipation, impeccable positioning and the cleanest tackling led Sir Alex Ferguson to describe him as "The best penalty box defender in the world." Karl Heinz Rummenigge called him "The best defender I've ever played against"
Team honours: 1 European Cup Winners' Cup, 1 European Super Cup, 3 Scottish league titles, 4 Scottish Cups, 3 Scottish League Cups
Individual honours: SPFA Players' Player of the Year (1984), SFWA Footballer of the Year (1984)

Rainer Bonhof
An all-round powerhouse who could play in midfield and defence, Bonhof was a fixture in the West German national team throughout the seventies, contributing to their dazzling success in this historic era. Other than possessing boundless stamina and a bone-crunching tackle, Bonhof had possibly the hardest ever shot in football – one that had apprehensive opponents quaking in fear. His driving runs, precise passing technique and set-piece delivery were notable for providing valuable assists - he assisted Gerd Muller's winning goal in the 1974 World Cup final as well as 4 assists in the semi-final and final of the 1976 European Championship.
Team honours: FIFA World Cup (1974), 2 UEFA European Championship (1972, 1980), UEFA European Championship runner-up (1976), European Cup runner-up (1977), 1 UEFA Cup (1975), 1 UEFA Cup Winners Cup (1980), 1 UEFA Super Cup (1980), 4 Bundesliga titles (1971, 1975, 1976, 1977), 1 DFB-Pokal (1973), 1 Copa del Rey (1979)
Individual honours: UEFA European Championship Team of the Tournament (1976)

Toninho Cerezo
One of the finest centre midfielders Brazil has ever produced, Cerezo’s astute footballing brain, prescient awareness, indefatigable dynamism and superb range of passing enables him to act as a mobile pivot in stringing up play and provide an excellent platform for transitions from defence to attack. Tim Vickery has an apt description of Cerezo’s playing style “Few players have ever run a midfield with so much elegance. He received possession behind the line of the ball, giving him a full panorama of the action in front of him. He passed the ball long and short, and after giving it was immediately on the move to initiate the next phase, and he had an eye for the surprise, killer ball that undresses the defence.”
Team honours: 1 Copa Libertadores (1993), 2 times European Cup runner-up (1984, 1992), 1 UEFA Cup Winners Cup (1989), 2 Intercontinental Cups (1992, 1993), Supercopa Libertadores (1993), 2 Recopa Sudamericana (1993, 1994), 9 Brazilian State Championships (1974, 1976, 1978, 1979, 1980, 1981, 1982, 1983, 1992), 1 Serie A title (1991), 4 Coppa Italia (1984, 1986, 1988, 1989)
Individual honours: Brazilian Golden Ball (1977, 1980), Brazilian Silver Ball (1976), Intercontinental Cup Final Man of the Match (1993)

Safet "Pape" Susic
An irrepressible genius who could make killer passes, dribble past defences and score goals, Susic starred for Yugoslavia and attained legendary status at FK Sarajevo and Paris St Germain. His dazzling brilliance frequently paid off with goals and assists such as his stunning hat-tricks against Argentina and Italy in 1979. He scored more than 170 goals in his club career, a staggering return. He was selected as the Golden Player of Bosnia and Herzegovina as their most outstanding player of the past 50 years and voted as Paris St Germain’s best player of all time ahead of George Weah, Rai, Ronaldinho and Luis Fernandez.
Gerd Muller on Susic "If you were to rank Safet Sušić with the all-time greats, you would have to put him in at least the top 40,"
Darko Pancev on Susic "For me he's unsurpassable, the best Yugoslavia had. Probably one of the best in the world. Pape was a treasure for every forward. His crosses were unbelievable."
Team honours: 1 French league title, 1 French Cup
Individual honours: UEFA French Ligue Foreign Player of the Year (1983), Yugoslav Footballer of the Year (1979), Yugoslav league topscorer (1980)

Jan Ceulemans
One of the best footballers in the world during the 80s, Ceulemans was the star player of the excellent Belgium side that reached the European Championship final in 1980 and the FIFA World Cup semi-final in 1986. He further endeared himself to fellow Belgians by turning down AC Milan to stay with Club Brugges in Belgium. Nicknamed Captain Courageous, Ceulemans was like a formidable force of nature, an unrelenting hurricane storming and tearing through the pitch with fearsome pace and power. He had a Rolls Royce engine that motored him to cover every blade of grass and still bomb forward to score goals (over 250 in his career). He had remarkable balance and extraordinary technique that belied his 6 foot 2 frame, enabling him to run with the ball at pace, beat players and score goals in a variety of ways from powering in a bullet header to thunderbolt shots.
Team honours: 4 Belgian League titles, 2 Belgian Cups, 5 Belgian Supercups
Individual honours: FIFA World Cup All-Stars (1986), UEFA European Championship Team of the tournament (1980), 3 times Belgian Footballer of the Year, 3 times Belgian Golden Shoe

Mario Kempes
The cutting edge and decisive factor in Argentina’s triumphant World Cup campaign of 1978, Kempes scored 6 goals en-route to winning the Golden Boot, the Golden Ball and the World Cup in a clean sweep - the first player in World Cup history to do so. Kempes was blessed with explosive pace and matador-like balance, which combined with his strength, work-rate, flair and finesse, make him an utter nightmare to defend against. Fond of dropping into midfield or peeling off wide to start his powerful surging runs, he terrorized defences, carving them up like a hot knife through butter to set up teammates or unleash deadly strikes at goal. In his first season with Valencia, he topped the La Liga scoring charts with 24 league goals, repeating his Pinnichi feat the following season with 28, the highest total since Alfredo Di Stefano in 1956-57. At his prime for Valencia, he averaged more than 2 goals every 3 games. Cesar Luis Menotti on Kempes “He's strong, he's got skill, he creates spaces and he shoots hard. He's a player who can make a difference, and he can play in a centre-forward position."
Team honours: 1 FIFA World Cup, 1 UEFA Cup Winners Cup, 1 UEFA Super Cup, 1 Nacional championship title, 1 Copa del Rey
Individual honours: FIFA World Cup Golden Ball (1978), FIFA World Cup Golden Boot (1978), FIFA World Cup All-Stars (1978), South American Footballer of the Year (1978), Argentina Footballer of the Year (1978), La Liga topscorer (1977, 1978)

Karl Heinz Rummenigge
One of the best forwards in footballing history and a leading contender for the title of the 2nd greatest German footballer ever. A phenomenal footballing Rolls Royce with a frightening blend of pace, power, control and skill, Rummenigge was the quintessential complete forward. His awareness, intelligence and technique augmented the quality of his movement, passing and finishing, enabling him to play anywhere across the frontline with consummate ease, starting and finishing off moves with equal ******.
Team honours: 2 times FIFA World Cup runner-up, 1 UEFA European Championship, 2 Europeans Cups, 2 Bundesliga titles, 1 Intercontinental Cup, 2 German Cups, 1 German Supercup
Individual honours: 2 times Ballon d'Or (1980, 1981), FIFA World Cup Bronze Ball (1982), FIFA World Cup All-Stars (1982), German Footballer of the Year (1980), 3 times Bundesliga topscorer (1980, 1981, 1984), European Cup topscorer (1981)

Sub: Reinaldo
In a career hampered by serious injuries and off-the-field issues, Reinaldo nevertheless shone brightly in the time he was given. His scoring average in the 1977 season (1.55 goals per game) remains a Brazilian league record and his 255 goals for Atlético Mineiro is its all-time club record. His astounding ability to grasp timing and space, his silky technique in manipulating the ball, his audacious composure in finishing all live long in the memories of the fans who revere him as “The King”
Team honours: 8 Campeonato Mineiro titles
Individual honours: Campeonato Mineiro topscorer (1977)

Tactics in brief:
4-2-3-1 formation with Cerezo and Bonhof shielding the defence, Kempes, Ceulemans and Susic supporting Rummenigge. Cerezo has the holding role covering for teammates and stringing up play with his movement and passing. Bonhof has the box-to-box role, where his ball delivery and cannonball shot can add to goal-scoring opportunities. Ceulemans has the brief of breaking forward to supplement the attack in the box. Susic is tasked to create goalscoring opportunities, dribbling at the defence, making killer passes or going for goal. Kempes has the freedom to drop deep or peel off wide to start off on his trademark surging runs.

461745_Germany.jpg

Ubaldo Fillol

Named best goalkeeper at the 1978 World Cup. Named IFFHS' 14th greatest goalkeeper in world football and 3rd best South American keeper. So revered in Argentina that the award for best goalkeeper in the Clausura is called the Ubaldo Fillol award. Magnificent reflexes, a commanding presence and very consistent (as shown by him starting 58 consecutive games for Argentina, the national record). His peak form was on display for everyone to see in the World Cup final.

Manfred Kaltz

Ruud Gullit said:
He played for Hamburg in the ’80s and was famous for his Bananenflanken [banana crosses]. His crosses had so much spin on them, they were so difficult to defend, the strikers were scoring for fun. He was also one of the first attacking right-backs. He almost invented the idea of the wing-back, long before Cafu and Roberto Carlos came on the scene. He was very good at set-pieces too.

In total he played in 581 Bundesliga games for Hamburger SV,[2] to this day remaining the second greatest total of an individual in Bundesliga history. An expert in penalties, the Hamburg fan-favourite scored 53 of his 76 goals from the spot, a record in the Bundesliga.

One of just two fullbacks to be named in the Ballon D'or top 5 between 1970-1985. A key part of the most successful Hamburg side in their history, including helping them get to two European Cup finals (winning one) and win consecutive league titles. A mainstay in the German defence for over a decade too.

Vierchowod

On Vierchowod, Maradona eulogised: “He was an animal, he had muscles to the eyelashes. It was easy to pass by him, but then when I raised my head, he was in front of me again. I would have to pass him two or three more times and then I would pass the ball because I couldn’t stand him anymore.”

He famously said in 1999: “I used to be much quicker than everyone else – now I’m just as quick as them.”

Allied to this pace and power he was an exceptional man-marker and defensive reader.

Terry Butcher

Archetypal English Lionheart.

Alberto Tarantini

Like his compatriot Fillol, part of the '78 World Cup team of the tournament largely thanks to a very respectable run of almost 450 minutes without conceding a goal. Full of tenacity in defence and energy going forward, and like all fullbacks playing on the 'wrong' side very technically accomplished.

Osvaldo Ardiles

Named in the Football League 100 along with a collection of truly brilliant players. Nicknamed Pitón because of his snake-like dribbling, a real midfield dynamo. The perfect all-round midfielder with excellent passing, dribbling, vision, stamina and tenacity and because of this he excelled for Argentina as the deepest midfielder and as an attacking midfielder for Spurs, he could play any midfield role.

Giancarlo Antognoni

An essential part of the World Cup winning Italy team in 1982, their sole creative force much of the time along with Conti. In the mould of Milan legend Gianni Rivera, an elegant schemer in the middle with lovely control, a fierce strike and (unlike many playmakers) plenty of energy and mobility. Also a set piece expert.

Johan Neeskens

Finished in the top 5 in the Ballon D'or in 1974. Nicknamed Johan the Second as Cruyff's second in command. The Dutch Roy Keane. A huge part of two of the greatest sides to play the game. Technically excellent, a great leader, a brilliant defensive player...really, if you don't know about Neeskens, just read up on him. A true great of the game and my captain.

Dirceu

Bronze ball winner at World Cup 1978, the only creative outlet in a lacklustre Brazil side but he relished the role. A very elegant playmaker in the mould of Brazil great Rivelino; always moving, always probing. An excellent passer, effortlessly glided with the ball and - as he displayed so wonderfully in this World Cup - packed a mean shot. Interestingly, it's been widely reported that he was set to play in that Brazil midfield in '82 but injury rule him out of the first game and he couldn't work his way back into the team.

Roberto Bettega

Nominated 4th in the Ballon D'or in consecutive seasons in '77 and '78. Named in 1978 World Cup team of the tournament. Exceptional in the air with a lovely touch, great passing and great passing. Very much in the mould of a Berbatov/Ibrahimovic in terms of style, vision and physique but with the added bonus of pace, mobility and versatility.

Hugo Sanchez

175 goals in 4 seasons at Madrid between 86-90. Named 26th greatest player in IFFHS century selections, Rummenigge's the closest striker to him available in this draft in 35th place. A sensational goalscorer, no more needs said.

Steve Coppell
Almost a carbon-copy of our newest #7 and fan-favourite Tony V but with more goals. The archetypal right winger with pace, direct running and devastating crossing. Widely acknowledged as a winger before his time because of his (pioneering) defensive contribution and work rate. You need only ask United fans of that era to see how highly thought of he is, with many still mourning the loss of this great #7 to a career-ending injury at just 28 years old.

Brwned, I'm still wondering whether these Ruud Gullit and Jamie Carrgher fellas you keep quoting are the real ones portrayed in a fancy way or a newbie acting as assistant manager. Could you clarify that? The Gullit quote looks straight out of wikipedia.

Just google them and find out. The Vierchowod quotes are excerpts out of some italian-based blog article and the Kaltz quotes are from the Perfect XI section of 442 where they've interviewed previous greats. Both could be fabricated, sure...

Just google them and find out. The Vierchowod quotes are excerpts out of some italian-based blog article and the Kaltz quotes are from the Perfect XI section of 442 where they've interviewed previous greats. Both could be fabricated, sure...

I'm not questioning whether they are fabricated, it's just that the Gullit one is exactly what is written as a write-up in several places. Doesn't sound like a Gullit quote but a bio article, which is why I thought you were quoting a helper in the newbie forum.

Perhaps the write-ups are taken straight from that article. Then again I wouldn't put it past 442 to get Gullit to suggest some players with the writers themselves just throwing that bit in. Doesn't really make much of a difference because players' opinions generally aren't worth more than your verage Joe's opinion so I doubt people place much importance on where it came from. It just describes him well. I didn't really go into in-depth research to verify them all, I'm sure you understand!

Perhaps the write-ups are taken straight from that article. Then again I wouldn't put it past 442 to get Gullit to suggest some players with the writers themselves just throwing that bit in. Doesn't really make much of a difference because players' opinions generally aren't worth more than your verage Joe's opinion so I doubt people place much importance on where it came from. It just describes him well. I didn't really go into in-depth research to verify them all, I'm sure you understand!

That's probably what happened. I would just use it as a description really. Player opinions do count when they are of the Vierchowod sort. Us watching on telly is different from being in the thick of it and that quote is quite good in that sense.

I thought the 442 stuff was a bit iffy but the Maradona quote was a good'un, didn't even see it on wiki! Shame, makes me doubt it all the more now.

Player Profiles.

John Aldridge
Not much needs to be said about this man, almost everyone will know just how good a finisher he was.
Aldo was an exceptional header of the ball and a master of link-up play.
He would receive the ball with his back to the opposition and feed it into the right channels and make his way to the box where he was deadly.
One of the most natural finishers to have played in the modern English game.

Zico
The man often referred to as the White Pele, Zico is commonly considered one of the most skilled dribblers and finishers ever and possibly the world's best player of the early 80's.
Zico was a true genius on the park and if you watch him it is apparent his vision, technique and passing ability was top notch as was his perfect Free Kick taking.
It's unfortunate that he never won a world cup but like Platini I think it speaks volumes that he did not need a worldcup medal to show the world how good he was.
He had a phenomenal scoring record off 66 goals in 88 international games for Brazil, 508 goals for Flamengo and countless others for Udinese and in the twilight of his career playing for Kashima Antlers in Japan.
With a record like this you would think that Zico was one of the ultimate strikers of all time, not an attacking midfielder and a goalscoring record like his really does show how great he actually was.
Zico was also a free kick specialist. The way he could get it up and over the wall from so close, and to get it to drop into the top corner was just outstanding.

Ricardo Bochini
It has been said of Bochini, that in the history of Argentine football, only one player ever overshadowed him and that was the great Maradona.
Ironically Maradona's one true hero was Bochini. The man who Maradona based his playing style on and the player he idolised over any other.
Bochini was a playmaker with incredible dribbling, passing, stamina and guile.He would regularly unlock defences with ease, using his killer through ball or intricate 1-2 passes and flicks.
Although he was not a prolific goalscorer, he was one of the best playmakers of the 1980s, often making assists for teammates to score.
Even after he retired, the expression pase bochinesco (\"bochinesque pass\") is used to refer to a precise pass made to a forward to leave him one on one against the goalie, bypassing the opponent's defenders.

Jean Tigana
When talking about great midfielders, Tigana will invairibly be mentioned.
Tigana was a box-to box midfielder noted for his great movement, teamwork, pace and tireless stamina.
Tigana was also responsible for the defensive game and often went forward to create opportunities for his teammates.
He joined Michel Platini, Luis Fernandez and Alain Giresse in what was termed "the Magic Square" (le Carré Magique) – one of the great midfield foursomes of all time.

Ricardo Gallego
A product of La Liga powerhouse Real Madrid's youth system, Gallego made a quick impression with the first team, appearing in 26 matches in his debut year, and being a midfield mainstay during the subsequent seasons as he totalled 250 first division matches, with the conquest of, among others, four leagues, two Spanish cups and back-to-back UEFA Cups (1985–86).
Blessed with physical and technical ability alike, he could operate with equal efficiency as sweeper.
He could play both defense and midfield. A leader who stood out for his vision and his understanding of football.

Junior
He was known for his technique and teamwork as well as his versatility, playing at left back and on the left of midfield for Brazil due to his two footedness (despite being naturally right footed) whilst often playing defensive midfield at club level.
He was named by Pelé as one of the top 125 greatest living footballers

Leandro
In 1982, he was the star-studded Brazilian team's unsung hero, a secret weapon capable of delivering decisive crosses to the forwards, or indeed taking a pop himself.
He also had an ability to dribble past players and probably covered more ground than any other player in the team – he could often be found in the outside right position, yet would get back to defence when needed.

Zmuda
By the 1982 World Cup Żmuda had reached his pinaccle as a defender, who had been held in high esteem for nearly a decade since his inclusion in the 1974 World Cup followed by a suprise starting role at the age of 20. He would claim all the plaudits then for effectively stymying Sanon, Chinaglia, Edstrom, Surjak, Gerd Muller (only forward to score), Jairzinho and Kempes, of his duel with the Argentine, Żmuda completely disabled him from the game and it is said that was one of the best matches of his young and perhaps even his entire career.
Though blighted by injuries and several major operations through his career, Żmuda was a model of consistency who was reknowned for flawless matches, and always managed to be fit if not for club then for important international fixtures. A natural athlete who had a dispostion for great physical conditioning, as a result was extremly difficult player to be moved by force, and tireless in his defensive duties. Żmuda had also perfected the art of the sliding tackle, being regarded as a masterclass in its execution. He combined these aspects with a great head on his sholdurs, which possesed both footballing brains and fantastic clearences, with being the definitive calm performer who was hard as nails but equally clean. Despite his natural quiet nature, Żmuda was regarded as an excellent organizer of the line.
Of Żmuda's partnership with Pawal Janas in the 1982 World Cup, Brazil coach Tele Santana who managed possibly the greatest side never to lift the World Cup, stated after the torunament, 'If I had in my team a pair such as Janas - Żmuda, all the other nations would only need to concentrate on the fight for second place.'

Marius Tresor
The history of football is littered with defenders destined to remain in the shadows.
Whether watchful sentries or plain old workhorses, these unsung heroes of the back line are invariably eclipsed by their more attack-minded team-mates.
Over the years, however, a very select band of defenders have brought their unique skills to bear and made an indelible mark on the game, among them Franz Beckenbauer, Carlos Alberto, Giacinto Facchetti, Laurent Blanc and one Marius Tresor.
One of the best defenders of all time, he was named in Pele's top 125 players of all time.
It's been said by many that he was France's greatest defender.

Kevin Moran
Played for Manchester United for 10 years and won two FA Cups, Moran was a tough tackling, no nonsense defender.
He was as brave as they come and never shirked a challenge. A tough man to get past he was Irelands answer to Terry Butcher.

Neville Southall
He has been described as one of the best goalkeepers of his generation and won the FWA Footballer of the Year award in 1985.
Also he was awarded the MBE in 1995 for his services to football.
Southall was named on the PFA Team of the Year four consecutive times, and was listed as one of the world's top ten goalkeepers by the International Federation of Football History & Statistics on four occasions.
He is a Hall of Famer of Gwladys Street's and English Football.
He has been named as one the 100 'Greatest Players of the 20th Century' by World Soccer magazine.

Substitute:

Roberto Dinamite
Overall leading scorer in The Campeonato Brasileiro, with 190 goals he also appeared for Brazil 47 times, scoring 26 goals.
Dinamite was a score from anywhere striker, blessed with great speed, skill and technique. Quite simply, he was a goal machine.

I thought the 442 stuff was a bit iffy but the Maradona quote was a good'un, didn't even see it on wiki! Shame, makes me doubt it all the more now.

I'm pretty confident it is legit, sounds like the sort of thing Maradona would say.

If people aren't going to read the entire thing, I'd suggest you read the trivia bit I have on a few players. Some of them are funny and well worth it.