2024 U.S. Elections | Trump v Harris

I still don't get how more than 50 clinically insane people could contemplate voting for Trump no matter what you think of the Dems or Kamala. Trump is demented and pure evil and hates everyone who isn't him.
Varied reasons from partisanship to not believing that he means what he says.

Not particularly great would be putting it kindly. That was a calamitous, cringeworthy performance. Trump is irrelevant in all of this because everyone already knows he lies about everything which makes interviews and town halls with him completely pointless. I expect a higher level of quality from the person I’m actually voting for, and right now I’m not seeing anything remotely close to acceptable.

"calamitous, cringeworthy performance". That is overkill.

What is worrying is that after all 3 months she still hasn't got clear, concise answers to the questions that come up over and over again.

It feels like she is worried about saying the wrong thing and it being turned into an attack ad.

She is too burdened by what has been

It's mind boggling that as a previous DA and bunch of prep times, scripted questions and earpiece she can't even answer those questions, let alone acting vice president

You dont need to overly politically correct. Part of Trumps charm is that he says it like a random American Bloke next door would

Politicians lies all the time, at least make it like you know what you're lying about.

I still don't get how more than 50 clinically insane people could contemplate voting for Trump no matter what you think of the Dems or Kamala. Trump is demented and pure evil and hates everyone who isn't him.
It's fear. This flyer was left in the lobby of my condo(apartment):

VOTE FOR GOD'S SOLUTION OR SURRENDER YOURSELF AND YOUR CHILDREN TO A VERY DARK FUTURE. IT IS OUR CHOICE!

GENDER REASSIGNMENT WITHOUT PARENTAL CONSENT

• BOYS IN OUR DAUGHTERS LOCKERROOMS AND BATHROOMS

• PEDOPHILIA CODIFIED INTO LAW

• ABORTIONS UP TO AND BEYOND BIRTH

• OUTLAW OF ANY PARENTAL RIGHTS

• FORCED VACCINATION WITHOUT LIMITS

• POVERTY THROUGH INFLATION AND TAXATION

• DESTRUCTION OF THE SUPREME COURT

• ABOLISHING THE CONSTITUTION

• ABOLITION OF PRIVATE GUN OWNERSHIP

• NO FREEDOM OF SPEECH THROUGH MASS CENSORSHIP

• POLITICAL LAWFARE AND PUNISHMENT OF POLITICAL OPPOSITION

• WARS AND FORCED CONSCRIPTION OF OUR SONS AND DAUGHTERS

• FINAL DESTRUCTION OF OUR BORDERS

• MORE DRUGS TO DESTROY OUR YOUTH

• CRIME AT EXTREME LEVELS

• THE BIBLE BEING READ DEEMED A HATE CRIME

WE ARE NOT VOTING FOR A PASTOR BUT A PERSON WILLING TO STAND AGAINST THE EVIL LISTED ABOVE AND RESTORE THE COUNTRY TO SANITY

It's mind boggling that as a previous DA and bunch of prep times, scripted questions and earpiece she can't even answer those questions, let alone acting vice president

You dont need to overly politically correct. Part of Trumps charm is that he says it like a random American Bloke next door would

Politicians lies all the time, at least make it like you know what you're lying about.
She’s not going to win over Trump supporters and it’s Trump supporters who don’t give a shit about political correctness.

It’s harder for Harris because she has to attract a broader church. She can’t get Muslims onside without pissing off Jews and vice versa. She needs to offer the progressive wing hope but it’s the independent conservatives who will decide the election for her.

It’s a hugely more complex campaign she needs to run and the truth is there is no right thing for her to say, saying anything will damage her chances one way or another. Which is why she’s saying nothing. That’s pissed off people like @Raoul and he’s been very critical of her for it but he’s going to vote Trump anyway and has been looking for any excuse so he’s just the demographic she can ignore.

Trump on the other hand can and has literally shot himself on stage and can say whatever he likes and it means nothing.

It's fear. This flyer was left in the lobby of my condo(apartment):

VOTE FOR GOD'S SOLUTION OR SURRENDER YOURSELF AND YOUR CHILDREN TO A VERY DARK FUTURE. IT IS OUR CHOICE!

GENDER REASSIGNMENT WITHOUT PARENTAL CONSENT

• BOYS IN OUR DAUGHTERS LOCKERROOMS AND BATHROOMS

• PEDOPHILIA CODIFIED INTO LAW

• ABORTIONS UP TO AND BEYOND BIRTH

• OUTLAW OF ANY PARENTAL RIGHTS

• FORCED VACCINATION WITHOUT LIMITS

• POVERTY THROUGH INFLATION AND TAXATION

• DESTRUCTION OF THE SUPREME COURT

• ABOLISHING THE CONSTITUTION

• ABOLITION OF PRIVATE GUN OWNERSHIP

• NO FREEDOM OF SPEECH THROUGH MASS CENSORSHIP

• POLITICAL LAWFARE AND PUNISHMENT OF POLITICAL OPPOSITION

• WARS AND FORCED CONSCRIPTION OF OUR SONS AND DAUGHTERS

• FINAL DESTRUCTION OF OUR BORDERS

• MORE DRUGS TO DESTROY OUR YOUTH

• CRIME AT EXTREME LEVELS

• THE BIBLE BEING READ DEEMED A HATE CRIME

WE ARE NOT VOTING FOR A PASTOR BUT A PERSON WILLING TO STAND AGAINST THE EVIL LISTED ABOVE AND RESTORE THE COUNTRY TO SANITY
Trump considered God‘s solution is so wrong on soo many levels. I‘m pretty sure there is a special place in hell being prepared for those folks.

She’s not going to win over Trump supporters and it’s Trump supporters who don’t give a shit about political correctness.

It’s harder for Harris because she has to attract a broader church. She can’t get Muslims onside without pissing off Jews and vice versa. She needs to offer the progressive wing hope but it’s the independent conservatives who will decide the election for her.

It’s a hugely more complex campaign she needs to run and the truth is there is no right thing for her to say, saying anything will damage her chances one way or another. Which is why she’s saying nothing. That’s pissed off people like @Raoul and he’s been very critical of her for it but he’s going to vote Trump anyway and has been looking for any excuse so he’s just the demographic she can ignore.

Trump on the other hand can and has literally shot himself on stage and can say whatever he likes and it means nothing.

A good post until it fell off a cliff by suggesting I’m voting for Trump. Good job on the rest of it though.

Exactly. She can't be too angry, she can't be "weak" either. She keeps getting knocked for not having a mesmerizing, bombastic engaging oratory style and personality as well. Waltz and surrogates can be deployed as the more combative direct attack arm so she doesn't have the be the 'angry woman'.

They literally tried for days to make MC Donalds employment from 40 years ago a thing for DAYS just to bludgeon her with. That is not me excusing her non answers, or canned answers. I get it and we do deserve details and concrete plans. I still am completely cognizant all the time of how large the tent she has to carry is. While her opponent doesn't have to have any answers, can walk around a convicted felon be catered to by right wing media AND "mainstream media". Anything he says gets sane washed and sanitized. He can talk about Nazi generals and major news networks can just clear it and say what he meant was....

She has her final speech on the National Mall I think next week. And you can already almost see the comments well she's not exactly MLK, or Obama.

Exactly. She can't be too angry, she can't be "weak" either. She keeps getting knocked for not having a mesmerizing, bombastic engaging oratory style and personality as well. Waltz and surrogates can be deployed as the more combative direct attack arm so she doesn't have the be the 'angry woman'.

They literally tried for days to make MC Donalds employment from 40 years ago a thing for DAYS just to bludgeon her with. That is not me excusing her non answers, or canned answers. I get it and we do deserve details and concrete plans. I still am completely cognizant all the time of how large the tent she has to carry is. While her opponent doesn't have to have any answers, can walk around a convicted felon be catered to by right wing media AND "mainstream media". Anything he says gets sane washed and sanitized. He can talk about Nazi generals and major news networks can just clear it and say what he meant was....

She has her final speech on the National Mall I think next week. And you can already almost see the comments well she's not exactly MLK, or Obama.

Everything is baked in at this point, as in I seriously doubt an attempt at an MLK like speech from someone who is not very good at public speaking is going to animate someone to get off their couches and go through the trouble of voting. If anything, it’s likely to inspire them to not vote at all.

What is worrying is that after all 3 months she still hasn't got clear, concise answers to the questions that come up over and over again.

It feels like she is worried about saying the wrong thing and it being turned into an attack ad.

Which is precisely why after a few good weeks following her launch, Trump has caught up to her. The same 2019 criticisms of Harris continue to plague her credibility in the present. She has no natural consistency of voters who get excited to vote for her, and is more so a politician manufactured by the corporate establishment with little to no connection to the temperature of the public.

I heard John King of CNN say on David Axelrod's podcast that of the 3,143 counties in the USA, only in 5 have wages outpaced the rate of living costs over the last 8 years.

That has been felt even more over the last 3 years.

People are fed up of that and want to see a change, even if that means electing someone as morally corrupt at Trump.

I heard John King of CNN say on David Axelrod's podcast that of the 3,143 counties in the USA, only in 5 have wages outpaced the rate of living costs over the last 8 years.

People are fed up of that and want to see a change, even if that means electing someone as morally corrupt at Trump.
I have no problem with that as a concept, but it lacks any process to make things better. If anything, all evidence suggests it's turkeys voting for Christmas.

https://getpocket.com/explore/item/no-country-still-uses-an-electoral-college-except-the-us

No Country Still Uses an Electoral College − Except the US​

Every other country that used an electoral college has been unsatisfied with the results and chosen another way to pick a leader.

Strange article. The only one with an actual electoral college, maybe, but it's focusing on the disproportionate part of it and that's pretty common all over. I have no idea why he's also just looking at presidential elections, a lot of countries have national elections that are much more disproportionate than the US.

It’s a good thing Harris is running against Trump because she is having yet another mare at the town hall. Avoiding answering people’s questions while robotically reciting canned talking points. Unsurprisingly, all the DNC stooges on Twitter are triumphantly proclaiming she “crushed it”.

Not particularly great would be putting it kindly. That was a calamitous, cringeworthy performance. Trump is irrelevant in all of this because everyone already knows he lies about everything which makes interviews and town halls with him completely pointless. I expect a higher level of quality from the person I’m actually voting for, and right now I’m not seeing anything remotely close to acceptable.

Eh? I think your bumper sticker may be slipping to reveal a Trump one. I was watching and thought she did reasonably well. Admittedly not great but I definitely wouldn't describe it as having a mare and absolutely wouldn't say it was cringeworthy or calamitous either. Robotic? That's just the way she speaks, Trump and Vance can outright lie and admit it, or Trump can drone on for two hours at a time yet she gets shit for sounding robotic?

I think she's nervous as hell because she's trying to actually reach people and be as honest as possible in a situation we all know she doesn't feel comfortable in but she's also handicapped by the fact she still can't or won't distance herself from or criticise Biden at all, therefore she has to take all the flak aimed at him and their administration.

Yes she's repeating talking points because that's what ALL politicians do. Maybe she needed to be more nuanced in her replies to add more valuetainment to her appearances?

I do think your posts and others posts in here are more than a little unfair on her for the wrong reasons. They are especially unfair as she's up there doing this, putting herself out there and answering questions from voters at a time where Trump is yet again refusing to do any of that unless it's in front of a host and crowd he knows back him 100% and on a network he approves of because they don't say negative things about him. Let's also not forget It was only a few weeks ago you and other posters were criticising her for not having any public appearances. Now she's pivoted to doing as many as possible and she's getting shit for not performing as well as they would like her to. It seems to me some people are just looking for excuses to not vote for her because they don't like her for whatever reason they have.

Like others have said, she's held to completely different standards than Trump. He can avoid answering questions.or doing Town Halls amd interviews but she can be rinsed for doing them. but the fact remains that neither are great options, far from it but they are the only two options you have got if you want to vote for the future President.

I thought this is impossible to know because you don't trust polls and only look at the election result?

Rs are out performing in EV in most swing states so far. At this point, I would be surprised if that can be spun as good news for Harris’ chances of winning.

Thanks to the opioid epidemic, a lot of them are also high as a kite. The numbers on that in some areas of the US are shockingly high.

Yeah and they are dumb enough to think electing a fascist will improve their situation.

Eh? I think your bumper sticker may be slipping to reveal a Trump one. I was watching and thought she did reasonably well. Admittedly not great but I definitely wouldn't describe it as having a mare and absolutely wouldn't say it was cringeworthy or calamitous either. Robotic? That's just the way she speaks, Trump and Vance can outright lie and admit it, or Trump can drone on for two hours at a time yet she gets shit for sounding robotic?

I think she's nervous as hell because she's trying to actually reach people and be as honest as possible in a situation we all know she doesn't feel comfortable in but she's also handicapped by the fact she still can't or won't distance herself from or criticise Biden at all, therefore she has to take all the flak aimed at him and their administration.

Yes she's repeating talking points because that's what ALL politicians do. Maybe she needed to be more nuanced in her replies to add more valuetainment to her appearances?

I do think your posts and others posts in here are more than a little unfair on her for the wrong reasons. They are especially unfair as she's up there doing this, putting herself out there and answering questions from voters at a time where Trump is yet again refusing to do any of that unless it's in front of a host and crowd he knows back him 100% and on a network he approves of because they don't say negative things about him. Let's also not forget It was only a few weeks ago you and other posters were criticising her for not having any public appearances. Now she's pivoted to doing as many as possible and she's getting shit for not performing as well as they would like her to. It seems to me some people are just looking for excuses to not vote for her because they don't like her for whatever reason they have.

Like others have said, she's held to completely different standards than Trump. He can avoid answering questions.or doing Town Halls amd interviews but she can be rinsed for doing them. but the fact remains that neither are great options, far from it but they are the only two options you have got if you want to vote for the future President.

Sorry, she was terrible. She had no specifics when audience members asked questions and continued to tap dance when AC followed up by pressing her on her litany of flip flops, each of which call into question whether she actually believes what she’s saying or is simply regurgitating memorized, focus grouped talking points.

Admitting she was bad is not suggesting Trump is any way good. He’s in his own category of bad that no one else will ever match. As a Dem communicator, her bar of comparison is other successful Dems who have won the Presidency - people like Obama and Bill Clinton., not a brain damaged loser like Trump.

This is true.

If Trump gets voted in, there indeed will be change, but not the change they are hoping for. Trump will spike inflation massively with his tariffs. Deportation of millions of workers will make prices soar as well.

I almost want it to happen to teach these dumb maga feckers a lesson, and those that think Trump will be good for their 401k.

I have no problem with that as a concept, but it lacks any process to make things better. If anything, all evidence suggests it's turkeys voting for Christmas.

They blame the party that was in charge and if Harris can't separate herself from Biden, then she ends up wearing it. She is scared to tout the Biden achievements. When has she ever pointed to the 42k point dow? Low unemployment? Gas prices dropping?

She is too scared to do it because bacon is stil expensive.

The Trump campaign line of "You were better off under Trump" is true in the vast majority of cases so is it easy for him to say it was good under me before so you can trust it will be again.

Why and how is largely irrelevant to the majority of people.

The only person who has counted that is Obama when he says "that was my economy you took and run it into the ground".

Surely imposing tariffs on China will help with consumer prices :rolleyes:

This is true.

If Trump gets voted in, there indeed will be change, but not the change they are hoping for. Trump will spike inflation massively with his tariffs. Deportation of millions of workers will make prices soar as well.

I almost want it to happen to teach these dumb maga feckers a lesson, and those that think Trump will be good for their 401k.
He will NOT impose any tariffs. He will continue to decrease corporate taxes. This is just a stunt to get votes.

Rs are out performing in EV in most swing states so far. At this point, I would be surprised if that can be spun as good news for Harris’ chances of winning.

How do you know she had a "good few weeks after launch?" Maybe she's been cratering since the day she announced unlike Biden who was on course for a 400 EV sweep? There is no way to assert any of this without trusting polls at some level. Which you refused to do earlier.
How do you know "Trump has caught up to her?" Maybe she is on course for 500 EVs, and Republicans are voting early and Democrats are waiting. Again, you need to trust polls to make this assertion.
Worth noting that I saw the exact same data (turned around a significant deficit at launch, took a decent lead, stalled, lost some of the lead), had a particular explanation of the reason for these changes... and you said it's impossible to know because the election hasn't happened yet, and the only time-series data available (polling) is meaningless. And you are implicitly doing a time-series in your posts here.

American exceptionalism at work. They’re STILL doing better than every major economy but they think the should thrive year in year no matter the global conditions.

Pricks.

This is true.

The problem is, Harris is not making the arguments effectively.

Why does she and her ad's keep calling the Trump Tariffs the "Trump Sales Tax"?

Call them Tariffs so they people know that when Trump says that "they word tariff is the most beautiful in the dictionary" that those same tariffs will make good more expensive and spike inflation. No one knows what a "Trump Sales Tax" is because he is not talking about it.

Explain that in no world will China, or any other importer, drop the prices of their goods just because of a tariff.

Level with people. Explain that we have to import certain goods and its beneficial to do so because we want them at cheaper costs. Tariffs can be used selectively, but only when threatening US industry, not as a vehicle for revenge.

I get so infuriated by The Harris campaigns messaging. They are so afraid of saying the wrong thing they end up saying nothing. Which is why they have pivoted back to the dangers of Trump.

How do you know she had a "good few weeks after launch?" Maybe she's been cratering since the day she announced unlike Biden who was on course for a 400 EV sweep? There is no way to assert any of this without trusting polls at some level. Which you refused to do earlier.
How do you know "Trump has caught up to her?" Maybe she is on course for 500 EVs, and Republicans are voting early and Democrats are waiting. Again, you need to trust polls to make this assertion.
Worth noting that I saw the exact same data (turned around a significant deficit at launch, took a decent lead, stalled, lost some of the lead), had a particular explanation of the reason for these changes... and you said it's impossible to know because the election hasn't happened yet, and the only time-series data available (polling) is meaningless. And you are implicitly doing a time-series in your posts here.

Her favorables shot up after she launched, which helped her rocket into contention from where Biden was languishing in his final weeks as a candidate.

Her numbers began to stabilize the moment her launch euphoria dissipated and Trump has since managed to sufficiently claw back most of his losses, which brings us back to preliminary early voting returns which appear to indicate lower EV turnout than in 2020 (good for Rs, aka Trump).

She could still win by having activated demographics Biden struggled with, but it’s getting harder to see where those votes would come from.

Her favorables shot up after she launched, which helped her rocket into contention from where Biden was languishing in his final weeks as a candidate.
polling data
Her numbers began to stabilize the moment her launch euphoria dissipated and Trump has since managed to sufficiently claw back most of his losses
polling data,

which brings us back to preliminary early voting returns which appear to indicate lower EV turnout than in 2020 (good for Rs, aka Trump).

She could still win by having activated demographics Biden struggled with, but it’s getting harder to see where those votes would come from.

Someone stated online that Harris seems to be held to a higher standard than Trump and I think that's true. Trump is just saying some of the most batshit things and getting away with it.

This is true of every candidate Trump has ever faced, most of which have in fact been Republicans. Politicians are just going to have to deal with the reality that as long as Trump is around, he will continue to lie and gaslight his way into one standard of behavior, whereas all other politicians will continue to be graded by ordinary sane standards.

He will NOT impose any tariffs. He will continue to decrease corporate taxes. This is just a stunt to get votes.

Both can be simultaneously true. He already imposed tariffs during his first term while reducing corporate taxes, so there’s no reason to believe he wouldn’t do it again. If there’s one thing that’s been consistent in Trump’s rhetoric over the past forty years, it’s been his obsession that China has been taking advantage of the US.