2024 U.S. Elections | Trump v Harris

As many were concerned, in July, Harris is a "meh" candidate.
IMO, many independents would have easily voted for Dems. with a more convincing candidate, now it's a toss-up and could go either way, that if the polls are right.

As many were concerned, in July, Harris is a "meh" candidate.
IMO, many independents would have easily voted for Dems. with a more convincing candidate, now it's a toss-up and could go either way, that if the polls are right.

She’s a fine candidate. This narrative from people who just want to be proven right is tiresome. She’s run a good campaign, made no significant mistakes, and done what could be asked of her, and she has presented herself as an alternative to Trump that should appeal to most normal people. If she doesn’t win because of her skin colour or gender, or because too many Americans live in a parallel universe, it won’t be her fault.

She’s a fine candidate. This narrative from people who just want to be proven right is tiresome. She’s run a good campaign, made no significant mistakes, and done what could be asked of her, and she has presented herself as an alternative to Trump that should appeal to most normal people. If she doesn’t win because of her skin colour or gender, or because too many Americans live in a parallel universe, it won’t be her fault.
I think most people just have this impression that ‘anybody half decent would smoke Trump’ from their liberal bubble, conveniently ignoring that Democrats have an incumbent that is double digits underwater in favourables and 60% of the country think it’s heading in the wrong direction. This is a tougher environment than 12/16 yet people somehow think it’s 18/20 when fundamentals favor Dems.

I agree, if she doesn't win, the blame she deserves is minimal, in my opinion.

Biden deserves more for trying to run again instead of dems having a primary, but more than that the people deserve blame, if people just makes up excuses for voting Trump at this point, they are just gone, and could never be reasoned with anyway.

Yep and the sunbelt looks locked down for Trump so it's a worry.

Don't think anything is locked down, but i would rather not have dems rely on Georgia or Arizona, the former especially, in that the republicans in the state might interfere with the results, should Harris win the state.

Do you think she would have won in an open primary?

Possibly not, but not sure how that's relevant.

I struggle to understand a potential democratic voter - in this election - who says: Well I would have voted for a different democratic nominee, but Harris is so bad that instead I prefer to help Trump win.

It's Biden (and his advisors/friends) fault that we didn't get a primary. Not Harris'.

I agree, if she doesn't win, the blame she deserves is minimal, in my opinion.

Biden deserves more for trying to run again instead of dems having a primary, but more than that the people deserve blame, if people just makes up excuses for voting Trump at this point, they are just gone, and could never be reasoned with anyway.
Absolutely. Biden’s selfishness and lack of awareness will be the main culprit if Democrats lose this.

Harris has done ok with the timeframe and situation she’s been given. Given Biden’s reluctance to leave the race, I’m not convinced the Democrats could have acted differently to be in a significantly better position to win. It was going to be tight no matter who was picked and how.

I struggle to understand a potential democratic voter - in this election - who says: Well I would have voted for a different democratic nominee, but Harris is so bad that instead I prefer to help Trump win.

It's Biden (and his advisors/friends) fault that we didn't get a primary. Not Harris'.
There a couple in this very thread.

It's not news, and they don't care. Russian state TV commentators literally said Tucker was doing it so obsequiously he needed to rein it in.

Is not the same that we say it in a football forum. This is a PM under oath. He would not say it without proof

Agree that they dont care though

R closed the return edge by a further 0.4% today but D netted 23k votes to their lead, both sides can spin it as a positive but looking pretty stable in PA so far

The counties that are most educated (Durham, Orange, Wake, Mecklenburg) all vote pretty heavily for Dems. The issue for NC is that the influx of younger people to the Triangle and Charlotte is offset by the older people moving to NC to retire in places like Union and Brunswick counties. Since fewer people are moving to the Triad (the third major metropolitan area in NC made up of Greensboro, High Point, and Winston-Salem), it's a more conservative area that still leans Dem.
Thank you (and others) for the input on NC.

Mecklenburg is good, but not great. Biden received 67% of the vote. Harris would need more than that in one of the biggest counties of the state. I also think that she needs better margins in Forsyth, Wake and Cumberland. Democrats have a room to grow there. And, yes, cutting the margins a bit in smaller metropolitan areas would help.

Last edited:
Good, but too late I feel. There's been way too little focus on Trump's age and mental acuity I think.
I don’t really get this attitude, 20 days are an eternity in the digital age. While most voters mind are decided, the remaining thin slice of fence sitters going to the polls thinking about his frailty can be the decisive factor in a race as close as this, especially in states with same day registration like Wisconsin.

That’s like saying we can’t know who wins off In person voting but we can know who’s likely to lose. Same thing.
It’s not the same thing at all, because we have plenty of knowledge based on past elections on the partisan voting patterns. If R start not only cutting into the return edge but matching D VBM raw votes, it’s very likely that there’s an enthusiasm/turn out issue with D, given the disparity in requests.

That's not the argument though. The argument is that she is objectively a good candidate.

Let's be clear on a few things. We're here because of Biden's stupidity. Harris is a better candidate than current Biden. She's a better candidate than Trump.

But in the race to say the above, especially the last sentence, we end up in the same situation as when some on here were still trying to convince themselves (and others) that Biden was still in top shape, ready to go and a great candidate, even when it was obvious he wasn't.

Harris is here completely as a default. She's the VP, she was able to access the money, she had the infrastructure in place etc etc. Shes not a great candidate. She's better than Trump sure and any same person should want trump to lose. But she's not a great candidate.

Those two things aren't mutually exclusive and saying she's not a great candidate on a football forum full of mostly non Americans won't end up influencing enthusiasm for her come election period.

I don’t really get this attitude, 20 days are an eternity in the digital age. While most voters mind are decided, the remaining thin slice of fence sitters going to the polls thinking about his frailty can be the decisive factor in a race as close as this, especially in states with same day registration like Wisconsin.

That's a very fair point, I just think that this particular issue should have been pressed more a lot earlier.

Agreed. Weak men won’t vote for her. That’s an indictment of America. Nothing about her as a candidate.

I don't think this is a great test to say she is a fine or good candidate. Anyone but Trump factor being such a scare for Dems and a lot of independents gave her a huge jump start once Biden's chances had collapsed. This is reflected in the record amount of money she has raised since taking over. She also got to avoid the primary season where other candidates would have tried to expose her. In a way the way her whole nomination came about was the best case scenario for her & Dems.

I don’t think anything we’ve seen these past few months suggests she wouldn’t have had a chance but no, she wouldn’t have been my favourite. That’s not the scenario we got, though, and given the circumstances I think the Dems played the best hand they had. Harris showed political nimbleness and maneuvering to shore up the party’s support (something that’s also part of being a good candidate) and has since run a solid campaign without any screw-ups along the way.

The elephant in the room in an open primary is, of course, the risk of alienating black voters by casting her aside. It's one thing letting her bomb out in 2019 as a lightweight first term Senator from California, when the modus operandi was 'whoever with the most chance of beating Trump', abandoning the black woman VP in favour of most likely a white man would be a fraught decision for the party.

That's why, I suspect, we didn't see any prominent Dem publicly challenge Biden or even so much as floating the idea, best case scenario he wins, worst case scenario they position themselves for a 28 run, and that's also why they quickly coalesced behind Harris, because frankly running as the Democratic candidate when the incumbent Democratic president has 55% unfavourable approval rating is a poisoned chalice.

The elephant in the room in an open primary is, of course, the risk of alienating black voters by casting her aside. It's one thing letting her bomb out in 2019 as a lightweight first term Senator from California, when the modus operandi was 'whoever with the most chance of beating Trump', abandoning the black woman VP in favour of most likely a white man would be a fraught decision for the party.

That's why, I suspect, we didn't see any prominent Dem publicly challenge Biden or even so much as floating the idea, best case scenario he wins, worst case scenario they position themselves for a 28 run, and that's also why they quickly coalesced behind Harris, because frankly running as the Democratic candidate when the incumbent Democratic president has 55% unfavourable approval rating is a poisoned chalice.
Also: the last time that an all-white ticket won the election for the Democrats… 1996.

I was in favor of an open primary, but I understand the choice not to do it.

Honestly I don’t think America is progressive enough to be ready for a woman president.

The urban centres in California and other solid blue states, sure. But in swing states, I don’t think so

Not panicking at all, until i see bad numbers from the rustbelt states, all the early signs are promising so far.

Not panicking at all, until i see bad numbers from the rustbelt states, all the early signs are promising so far.
This. 100% this.

Nate Silver is part of the problem. Enough with the doom and gloom. Let’s just vote and see how it goes.

Never forget.

I wont call Silver a hack yet but his work has deteriorated markedly once he let his punditry interfere with his statistical model.