2024 U.S. Elections | Trump v Harris

Tay Tay is an astute businesswoman and capitalist, she gains nothing by endorsing a political candidate and alienating a part of her fanbase. She could and should take legal action against a candidate using AI images of her though and it would be funny if it happens.
Didn’t she endorse Biden in 2020?

Personally think @Raoul is too harsh on Harris, and letting 2020 be the only defining moment of her political career seems unfair.

I'd love to be wrong. Maybe there's a new level to Harris' game that will magically be revealed in the coming months.

She's also run in competitive primaries and won twice in California. And was the DA - you don't get there through incompetence or a lack of political nous. And parrotting the view that she's the DEI candidate doesn't really add much imo, even if that's what you believe.

I've followed her career since her CA days. Being a local DA is nowhere near the same level as running for President. As for the DEI issue, Biden literally broadcast to the world that he was committed to selecting a black woman VP, and he did. So instead of running away from it, the Dems should just own it, especially since they are the ones who champion DEI as good policy.

Before dismissing her based on 4 years ago, maybe listen to the past month? I think she's been great, and her momentum somewhat reflects that.

To be clear, she hasn't done anything in the past month either, other than selecting Walz and going on a short tour of swing states. Her momentum is reflective of the Democrats having a collective sigh of relief that their candidate isn't an 80 year old, and therefore a possibility that another Trump term isn't a forgone conclusion. It has nothing to do with Harris herself or anything she's said or done since she hasn't given a single interview and only released a bit of policy the other day. I can't recall a single situation in the past where people were asked to vote for someone going into a political convention without first knowing what their published policies are.

Back to my first line above - I'd love to be wrong. Maybe there's a new level to Harris' game that will magically be revealed in the coming months. So far I have not seen it.

I'm in a swing state and I'm being inundated with RFK Jr. mailers advertising him as a Democrat. Anyone else getting these?

It's blatantly obvious his campaign is trying to steal votes from Harris but that only helps Trump. Wonder how much of an effect it'll have.

She won’t because as powerful as she is, politics is real power and she’s not going to alienate a significant percentage of her fanbase who are Republican or Trump supporters or who’s family members are.
She has done it before and spoke about not caring who it alienates in her documentary. And she may be forced too if Trump supporters stupidly try to use her music or likeness with AI etc. But, if I was an organizer I would at least try and get rights to play a song during the DNC. Cause she would never allow it for a trump rally or RNC.

She won’t because as powerful as she is, politics is real power and she’s not going to alienate a significant percentage of her fanbase who are Republican or Trump supporters or who’s family members are.

Tay Tay is an astute businesswoman and capitalist, she gains nothing by endorsing a political candidate and alienating a part of her fanbase. She could and should take legal action against a candidate using AI images of her though and it would be funny if it happens.

q7vjor16fqr51.jpg

Back to my first line above - I'd love to be wrong. Maybe there's a new level to Harris' game that will magically be revealed in the coming months. So far I have not seen it.
If nothing else do you not think her speeches have been rock solid this month? That's not a small differentiator from both her opponent and her predecessor.

As for policy, it's coming this week, as it was always going to. Let's at least let the (incredibly new and unexpected) campaign formulate said policies. She has a tough road to take given she has to own her role as VP while also propose things that are likely not in-line with Biden.

I was aligned with your view a few months ago - that if anything she was somehow less popular than doddering Biden - but I've personally been pleasantly surprised. Maybe it all falls down, but given the hand that was dealt, I feel like there were a lot of ways we were at a worse stage today.

From my deep research* it sounds like 2024 Taylor is a lot less likely to speak out than 2020 Taylor. Unfortunately.

* Dipping a toe into the insanity of Taylor reddit, where a lot of them bemoan her Kelce-influence pushing her rightwards, as opposed to whatever dude she was dating in 2020 who was very into making the world a better place and encouraged her to speak out on causes.

From my deep research* it sounds like 2024 Taylor is a lot less likely to speak out than 2020 Taylor. Unfortunately.

* Dipping a toe into the insanity of Taylor reddit, where a lot of them bemoan her Kelce-influence pushing her rightwards, as opposed to whatever dude she was dating in 2020 who was very into making the world a better place and encouraged her to speak out on causes.
I thought Kelce was a Democrat?

Dunno, like I said going on the chatter on reddit, he apparently has her moving in much more right-wards circles. Who knows though.

I just wish her team would publically sue Trump so it at least breaks through that he's deliberately pushing AI fakes, because he's apparently have success using that as an attack on Harris (despite obviously being fabricated).

Plus I just hate the way Trump gets away with f*cking everything. Sir, you can't post those obviously fake images? Yes I can, I just did. And he is right.

If nothing else do you not think her speeches have been rock solid this month? That's not a small differentiator from both her opponent and her predecessor.

Her speeches haven't been very good imo. She has been repeating the same line about being a DA and knowing "Donald Trump's type". There hasn't been anything substantive to anything she has said. If you look back at an Obama speech and compare it to Harris, there's a vast gap in quality and speaking skills. Comparing her to an 80 year old Biden isn't the standard. Reagan/Clinton/Obama are the more recent standards of Presidents who could actually communicate well.

As for policy, it's coming this week, as it was always going to. Let's at least let the (incredibly new and unexpected) campaign formulate said policies. She has a tough road to take given she has to own her role as VP while also propose things that are likely not in-line with Biden.

I was aligned with your view a few months ago - that if anything she was somehow less popular than doddering Biden - but I've personally been pleasantly surprised. Maybe it all falls down, but given the hand that was dealt, I feel like there were a lot of ways we were at a worse stage today.

Her biggest challenge on policy is whether to run away from Biden and the administration for which she herself has been working for or to embrace it and the 38% favorability rating it has achieved from the public.

Her speeches haven't been very good imo. She has been repeating the same line about being a DA and knowing "Donald Trump's type". There hasn't been anything substantive to anything she has said. If you look back at an Obama speech and compare it to Harris, there's a vast gap in quality and speaking skills. Comparing her an 80 year old Biden isn't the standard. Reagan/Clinton/Obama are the more recent standards of Presidents who could actually communicate well.

Her biggest challenge on policy is whether to run away from Biden and the administration for which she herself has been working for or to embrace it and the 38% favorability rating it has achieved from the public.
I mean, the whole point of a stump speech is that it gets repeated...repeatedly.

His voting record isn’t known but he’s no darling of the right, dude has spoken up in favour of LGBTQ rights and supported Kaepernick in the take a knee protest.

He’s loud and boorish and flashy so Swifties automatically assume that he’s a red blooded MAGA cult member.

Dunno, like I said going on the chatter on reddit, he apparently has her moving in much more right-wards circles. Who knows though.

I just wish her team would publically sue Trump so it at least breaks through that he's deliberately pushing AI fakes, because he's apparently have success using that as an attack on Harris (despite obviously being fabricated).

Plus I just hate the way Trump gets away with f*cking everything. Sir, you can't post those obviously fake images? Yes I can, I just did. And he is right.
That chatter sounds like misogynistic nonsense. Of course whatever her current boyfriend thinks is what influences one of the biggest pop stars in the world political leanings.

His voting record isn’t known but he’s no darling of the right, dude has spoken up in favour of LGBTQ rights and supported Kaepernick in the take a knee protest.

He’s loud and boorish and flashy so Swifties automatically assume that he’s a red blooded MAGA cult member.
He also cut an add for Pfizer, so that's not gonna fly.

I mean, the whole point of a stump speech is that it gets repeated...repeatedly.

I don't disagree, but that doesn't necessarily make it a good speech, especially if a majority of people who watch the events on TV (which are far more than those attending the rally) keep hearing it over and over like a broken record.

I don't disagree, but that doesn't necessarily make it a good speech, especially if a majority of people who watch the events on TV (which are far more than those attending the rally) keep hearing it over and over like a broken record.
Come on, how many people religiously watch stump speech after stump speech? They might see clips of the speeches, but the average American might only check in for the convention speech. Why should Harris get criticized for a tried & true political acticity all of a sudden?

Come on, how many people religiously watch stump speech after stump speech? They might see clips of the speeches, but the average American might only check in for the convention speech. Why should Harris get criticized for a tried & true political acticity all of a sudden?

They are literally broadcast on TV and online every single day in the middle of peak political season, so anyone who watches cable news or gets their info from Twitter is likely to see Harris parrot the same remarks each time.

There's pretty solid circumstantial evidence he leans Dem, which is why the likes of Trump and MAGA are bricking it about not only Swift, but also the idea that Kelce could create a "permission structure" for younger males to vote for the Dem ticket.

https://msmagazine.com/2024/02/09/t...l-democrats-joe-biden-taylor-swift-elections/
I assumed he was Dem because he's taken a couple of pics with Biden and is pro-vaccine. Your average MAGA voter wouldn't be caught dead doing either.

Yeah you guys, she's repetitive and not the good kind of repetitive like constantly talking about Hannibal Lecter and sharks.

They are literally broadcast on TV and online every single day in the middle of peak political season, so anyone who watches cable news or gets their info from Twitter is likely to see Harris parrot the same remarks each time.
I've watched a few of the rallies (I happen to find them both energizing) and while the middle core of each speech is largely unchanged, they are not the same. The speech is tweaked for the location/audience and there have been bits and pieces of policy thrown in.

That being said, after this week I hope there is a pivot to a more "here's what I will do" slant to the speech as opposed to being 80% "good vibes".

Yes, but these happened in 2020 but there was no outward criticism of their stump speeches, nor was there in 2016, 2012, etc. This is the first time I have ever heard it become a negative.

People are also not policy wonks & aren't watching the speeches soup to nuts. They are much more likely to catch clips after the speeches.

Yes, but these happened in 2020 but there was no outward criticism of their stump speeches, nor was there in 2016, 2012, etc. This is the first time I have ever heard it become a negative.

People are also not policy wonks & aren't watching the speeches soup to nuts. They are much more likely to catch clips after the speeches.

The difference being there's a candidate for President who doesn't do interviews and barely has any policy to run on who keeps repeating the same paragraph on a loop. Hilary and Obama didn't have this issue because they had a mountain of policies to run on and actually gave interviews.

The difference being there's a candidate for President who doesn't do interviews and barely has any policy to run on who keeps repeating the same paragraph on a loop. Hilary and Obama didn't have this issue because they had a mountain of policies to run on and actually gave interviews.
At this point I am curious. Who do you think would have been the best candidate for the Dems?

TBF Trump doesn't really have any policies either, he just says what's in his head and repeats them constantly

Trump's doing the same thing, yet goes uncriticized.

Because everyone already knows what Trump is about. The Dems should be aspiring to a much higher standard.
Tbf ’when they go low, we go high’ is just stupid. The current mode of ‘when they go low, we kick them in the nuts’ seems to be much better at playing to the base, and trolling MAGAs.

Traditional media has coddled Trump with their coverage for too long, by using the same handbook, you challenge them to apply the standards fairly, or not at all for both. If policies win elections, Al Gore and Hillary Clinton would’ve been president.