2024 U.S. Elections | Trump v Harris

Would be interesting to see how many would be happy to handwave away straightforwardly racist statements against Jewish or black people another candidate made when they were 20.

I'm beginning to think maybe Biden wasn't the only one who could have beaten historically unpopular Donald Trump in 2020.

2020 was anti trump. You would put any random normal person against him and would have won

Its not really about Shapiro at this point. Progressives are attempting to manufacture a controversy as a device to buy themselves a seat at the policy table in a Harris administration. The Shapiro "controversy" is simply a convenient pantomime villain to generate leverage to influence Harris if she wins. Otherwise, they would be more or less shut out of policy in a Harris administration.

Maybe sometimes people act out of something other than cynical political necessity?

2020 was anti trump. You would put any random normal person against him and would have won

I don't think so, it was very difficult for dems to get him out in 2020, particulary with his strength in the rust-belt.

I believe he is significantly weaker now.

I don't think so, it was very difficult for dems to get him out in 2020, particulary with his strength in the rust-belt.

Yeah he was definitely much stronger in 20, which was reflected in how many votes he got. In any normal year, he would've won that election.

Yeah he was definitely much stronger in 20, which was reflected in how many votes he got. In any normal year, he would've won that election.

As much as a i like Bernie, i'm sort of happy he didn't get the nomination in 2020, i'm not sure he could have pulled it off, in fact, i rather doubt it.

In 2016, he would have had a good shot, not so much in 2020 imo.

As much as a i like Bernie, i'm sort of happy he didn't get the nomination in 2020, i'm not sure he could have pulled it off, in fact, i rather doubt it.

In 2016, he would have had a good shot, not so much in 2020 imo.

Agreed. The Dem coalition of voters is pretty broad and there was little indication all of them would vote for him. But we will never really know.

For what it is worth, the bad optics and yes, some of the positions, hopefully is something Shapiro can handle himself, i hope.

There is no getting around that he is a bright, charismatic guy, who can talk his way around things, i hope he deals with it well, if picked.

Or, Harris just picks Walz or Beshear, who has next to no baggage, here's hoping.

I am sure most of US elected politicans today were straight up homophobic and much more racist 30 years back. Using what someone said 3 decades ago to paint them in certain light seems bizarre when you can just rely on his recent statements on ongoing conflict/massacre in Gaza. It is also disingenuous to argue that Pro Palestinian groups did not go digging into Shapiro's past mainly because he is a JEW. So anti semitism is definitely at play here.

Not a name that has made the most noise, but J.B. Pritzker has been mentioned regularly as a consideration and one that the Harris campaign likes. He's not controversial like Shapiro, even though they're both Jewish. What could explain that?

Why is it meaningless when he criticizes Israel but not when he’s critical of Palestinians or pro-Palestinian protesters?

Has he criticized Israel? He has criticized Netanyahu, but I don't know what he had in mind specifically.

Last edited:
Not a name that has made the most noise, but J.B. Pritzker has been mentioned regularly as a consideration and one that the Harris campaign likes. He's not controversial like Shapiro, even though they're both Jewish. What could explain that?

Pritzker was never a serious contender for the position, even though his name was routinely included in various lists and is getting an interview with Harris (so who knows), just as it was when people thought other candidates would challenge Harris for the nomination. If he was a finalist, he would have faced far more scrutiny about his policy positions.

Didn't you claim it would strain credulity for Harris not to do whatever she can to win Pennsylvania, i. e. pick Shapiro?

Yes, if she is wants to win PA. But that is a separate topic from selecting someone she is most comfortable with on a personal level. If Shapiro checks both boxes, then it’s a simple choice for her. If she gets on best with Pete or Kelly, then she has some thinking to do. Fortunately, she has seasoned pros like Plouffe and Stephanie Cutter onboard who have gone through this process before.

And that is why it was anti trump. He mobilized many people to vote against him because they didn't want him anymore and they knew that he had a big base. And yes, this year he is much weaker and people has short memory. With any decent candidate, Trump wouldn't had stand a chance (did I write this properly?), but Biden propped him up as a favourite even being weaker. Hopefully is not too late

If she’s most comfortable with him, he will be selected.

I don't think its that simple. As Harris deliberates, one of the key questions she will have in the back of her mind is whether the country is ready to elect a person of colour and a gay person on the same ticket.

I don't think its that simple. As Harris deliberates, one of the key questions she will have in the back of her mind is whether the country is ready to elect a person of colour and a gay person on the same ticket.

I don’t think it will be a consideration since Pete has been on the national stage and has not only been broadly accepted, but also outperformed Harris herself in 2019/20. The only downside to Pete would be that he hasn’t been a Governor, but ultimately it will be a matter of being very comfortable working with him if she selects him.

I don’t think it will be a consideration since Pete has been on the national stage and has not only been broadly accepted, but also outperformed Harris herself in 2019/20. The only downside to Pete would be that he hasn’t been a Governor, but ultimately it will be a matter of being very comfortable working with him if she selects him.
Is homophobia also largely blunted in the US?

Is homophobia also largely blunted in the US?

Wouldn't say so, especially since gay marriage has become less accepted in recent years in the US.

Gallup poll from last year had it down to 64%, compared to 71% acceptance in 2022.

But someone like @Drainy would pay himself to do it. Or was it another poster?

Yes I was the one who took on the Caf to defend the reality of the events of which he was charged

No I wouldn't pay money to meet will anyone, never mind Kyle Rittenhouse

I find watching trials entertaining, the Rittenhouse trial is still one of the most fascinating and entertaining trials I've watched; for the trial itself, and the politicisation and misinformation.

My view is that his actions after his arrest have contributed to the politicisation and continue to do so, and clearly he's now very much on the grifter circuit, which as someone who is pretty liberal and has or at least had an in-depth knowledge of his case and attempted to explain the actual facts (over and over again) is not a satisfying outcome, but it is what it is

One of the most interesting, yet quite disturbing and saddening aspects of the election cycles since Trump got involved is how quickly the news cycles change.

When Trump first ran, and throughout his entire presidency, he created distraction after distraction to change the big news stories. He did it on a daily basis, sometimes multiple times a day. It's hard to fathom really, as quite often he would actually one up himself with controversial actions, Tweets or things he said during the unnecessary rallies he held just to feed his own ego.

Every single day he would say, do or Tweet something that would have destroyed any other President before him. He used this relentlessly and so efficiently each controversy was quickly forgotten as the media moved on to the next one.

However, this may have backfired on him a little this time as his assassination attempt, something that should have sealed the election for him, and something that should have been forefront and the headline of every single online, TV, or radio report and every single newspaper front page story for weeks was forgotten and moved on from in a few days. It moved on so quickly it's almost as if it was barely significant at all and the momentum it should have gained appears to have been minimal at best and could be seen as his M.O. has backfired.

Although saying that, the press still haven't learned that the wys to beat Trump is just to let Trump be Trump. Let him dig his own grave and not get distracted by his shitspreading whirlwind approach, more just either ignore it or go hard and hammer home stories where he fecks up big time.

Ignore his Sharpie hurricane feckery but slam him for his disgusting and disrespectful treatment of a Gold Star Widow etc... There are so many examples of the media's failure or them falling in to his traps of distraction. He's clearly on the edge now, he's still fuming from the injustice of his legal trials and issues and he's not only taking interviews he should avoid, but he's fecking up in them badly. He was booed at the recent Libertarian Conference, fecked up at the Republican JewIsh Convention and had an absolute mare with the National Association of Black Journalists. Put that together with his VP pick of JD Vance and it should be easy to get him to finally crack and cause himself and his election campaign irreparable harn.

It should be easy, but sadly I fear that yet again he will be let off the hook mainly due to the incompetence of the media who 12 years on still don't seem to have learned a single lesson of how to deal with Donald Trump.

On the media, just look and see who owns and runs these companies now, and imagine what matters to them. CNN's new head basically said he doesn't care about truth, facts or newsworthiness, his job is to deliver revenues. Ditto almost every source. And an outrageous Trump headline just pays more than calm, factual reporting. Even the BBC are masters of it "Harris may have been lovechild of paedophile and alligator" claims Trump. Just asking questions here.

On Shapiro, it's absolutely horsesh*t to grasp at things he wrote at college 30 years ago to try and prove your point. As bad as the situation in Gaza is what it has done to some people's reasoning ability is incredible. You'd never do that for other issues. A 20 year old is allowed to learn and change their mind. Then backing it up with deliberately taken-out-of-context statements to try and 'prove' your point is equally disingenous. If you have reached the point on Gaza where literally no democratic policitician is good enough for you, then maybe just stop looking for it, as it'll only disappoint you. It's perfectly rational and justifiable to make it the defining issue to you - that's fine - but I think we should just park the 'no Democrat is anti-Israel enough' stuff on this thread, because it is a fact, it is proven and the race will continue regardless.