2024 U.S. Elections | Trump v Harris

It’s not even birtherism though, that context of that was Obama being an illegitimate president as a non-American.

Trump isn’t claiming she’s not an American citizen by birth, he’s just deciding her racially identity for her.

The purpose of birtherism was to "otherize" the candidate, not to realistically expect them to admit they weren't born in the US. The same othering is happening here with Harris. The underlying message to voters being "she's not really one of us".

The bookies had Trump as a heavy favourite, but the odds are closing rapidly, especially after yesterday. It's almost 50/50 and Kamala is closing the gap daily. I would not be surprised to see her as favourite sometime soon.

Yesterday was disastrous for Trump.

Ha, I read this too. That he can't separate political asylum from mental asylum.

Nah, maybe that's where the association came from in his head first, but he's been more specific. He thinks Central American countries are emptying out their insane asylums (filled with the late great Hannibal Lecter who wants to have you for dinner) and letting the inmates pour across the border.

If Harris is picking up black voters, especially female, then I would think that helps her a lot in GA, especially with that Trump interview the other day

If Harris is picking up black voters, especially female, then I would think that helps her a lot in GA, especially with that Trump interview the other day

She's also made Keisha Lance-Bottoms, former mayor of Atlanta, one of her campaign's senior advisors. Between that, Biden's strong showing in 2020, and Stacey Abrams' ability to GOTV, I think Harris will have a decent shot at GA.

She's also made Keisha Lance-Bottoms, former mayor of Atlanta, one of her campaign's senior advisors. Between that, Biden's strong showing in 2020, and Stacey Abrams' ability to GOTV, I think Harris will have a decent shot at GA.
Good move with KLB.

Unless there's a calamity, I am seeing Kamala winning GA.

Hot take: can the Dems flip Texas? ;)

I don't think so, no, but getting it close enough, say, 3-4 points, could put the senate seat in play, as Cruz will underperform top of the ticket.

Former Paypal president, Facebook exec, and now a crypto bro. Does seem like all the crypto bros are betting on Trump.

Stopped reading when he mentioned DEI. That's when you know someone has been radicalized and drank the MAGA kool aid.

Based on the recent polls above it currently looks something like this, with MI being in neither camp. I think Harris will make a strong play for NC, GA, and NV in case she happens to lose one of the rust belt states.

mne4v.png
I expect Georgia to be as close as it was in 2020. I think she will be alright in Michigan despite what that poll had. Biden won there by nearly 200k votes in 2020, I can't see Harris losing that ground personally. Black vote will be massive for her. North Carolina I'm not confident on as I really thought Biden was going to flip it in 2020.

I expect Georgia to be as close as it was in 2020. I think she will be alright in Michigan despite what that poll had. Biden won there by nearly 200k votes in 2020, I can't see Harris losing that ground personally. Black vote will be massive for her. North Carolina I'm not confident on as I really thought Biden was going to flip it in 2020.

Agreed. NC will be a bit harder than GA, although not outside the realm of possibility given that we don't know how desperate Trump may get from now until Nov, which may alienate a small sliver of undecideds.

And she has Quavo!

Just wait until she pulls out Beyonce and Taylor Swift.

I still can't quite figure out if Trump is a strong candidate or not for the republicans, yes, he turns of normal people, but at the same time, he brings out a set of voters who wont vote for anybody else.

Which one outweighs the other?

I still can't quite figure out if Trump is a strong candidate or not for the republicans, yes, he turns of normal people, but at the same time, he brings out a set of voters who wont vote for anybody else.

Its the former. He turns out more people than most think he can, while those that he turns off were generally not going to vote for him anyway. That's what makes him so viable. He gets more people to vote for him than many think he can.

Haley was polling quite a bit better than Trump in hypothetical GE match-ups that usually favour the option with more name recognition. There’s nothing to suggest Trump is a particularly strong candidate. After 2016 he’s had an average midterm election in 2018, a bad one in 2022, and lost a presidential election by a significant margin in the popular vote.

Last edited:
Haley was polling quite a bit better than Trump in hypothetical GE match-ups that usually favour the option with more name recognition. There’s nothing to suggest Trump is a particularly strong candidate. After 2016 he’s bad an midterm election in 2018, a bad one in 2022, and lost a presidential election by a significant margin in the popular vote.

Yeah, but thats hypothetical, would she really turn out the rural white vote to the same extent? Haley probably would have a better showing in the popular vote, but that doesn't neccessarily translate to a better showing in the EC.

Yeah, but thats hypothetical, would she really turn out the rural white vote to the same extent? Haley probably would have a better showing in the popular vote, but that doesn't neccessarily translate to a better showing in the EC.
Maybe not, it’s not a given. I’m just saying there isn’t much to suggest Trump is a particularly strong candidate, although he’s not a bad one either due to his ability to mobilize a sizeable base. But when you alienate as many voters as he does, any election will always be a struggle.

Haley would have crushed Biden, would be interesting v Harris.

Trump's falling back on his instincts instead of listening to advisers. Vance pick, alienating women and minorities all in the last 2 weeks. Can he win w just angry white men? I'm not sure.

But I'm a lot less scared than if he was being disciplined and moderate.

Trump's falling back on his instincts instead of listening to advisers. Vance pick, alienating women and minorities all in the last 2 weeks. Can he win w just angry white men? I'm not sure.

She would probably would've beaten Harris given that Haley was far more popular. Her popularity went down once Trump started hammering her during the primaries, but before that, she was as high as one can probably get in today's political climate.

She would probably would've beaten Harris given that Haley was far more popular. Her popularity went down once Trump started hammering her during the primaries, but before that, she was as high as one can probably get in today's political climate.
I think thats right, though I feel like she's ruined her credibility by kissing the ring at the RNC. If I'd been her I'd of kept my powder dry and been the always anti Trump moderate voice in the next cycle.

I feel that they have no plan for Harris. Everything was built off the back of Biden running and now they’re stuck scrambling to put some play together and Trump is just running his mouth because he’s got nothing else.

The further we go with this the more it looks like they’re done. Trump can only energise his base so much and surely some of them are starting to get sick of his bullshit rhetoric. The more unhinged he seems be getting the more confident I am that Kamala is going to win and mostly because he’ll get a turn out similar to 2016 rather than 2020.

I feel that they have no plan for Harris. Everything was built off the back of Biden running and now they’re stuck scrambling to put some play together and Trump is just running his mouth because he’s got nothing else.

The further we go with this the more it looks like they’re done. Trump can only energise his base so much and surely some of them are starting to get sick of his bullshit rhetoric. The more unhinged he seems be getting the more confident I am that Kamala is going to win and mostly because he’ll get a turn out similar to 2016 rather than 2020.

Trump has been failing upwards since day one, his 2016 campaign was unhinged too, but the EC got him over the edge, i reckon its a coin toss if it does this time too.

538 has relaunched their polling averages, Harris up by 1,2 points nationally.

Last edited: