2024 U.S. Elections | Trump v Harris

It's mental that there might not be a debate. There obviously needs to be a debate between Trump and the new fecking candidate in order to help people decide who should, you know, govern the country.

Jill Stein is a fully certified Russian plant isn’t she?

The loonies never got over the fall of the soviet union. In their minds, everyone and anyone that hates or works against US interests are the "good guys". They never thought about just being critical/reformist of the system within their own countries, so they looked outward and decided to hook up with totalitarians.

It's mental that there might not be a debate. There obviously needs to be a debate between Trump and the new fecking candidate in order to help people decide who should, you know, govern the country.
Trump’s whole schtick right now is about appearing strong. That’s why he has been leading Biden so convincingly.

If he chickens out of debating against a Black Female he begins to look very weak.

Jill Stein is a fully certified Russian plant isn’t she?
Is she? I thought she is just the typical green fringe candidate, and that she is insane. Didn’t hear much about her being a Russian asset.
Trump’s whole schtick right now is about appearing strong. That’s why he has been leading Biden so convincingly.

If he chickens out of debating against a Black Female he begins to look very weak.
He seems to be open at it, but want it at Fox. With Wallace leaving Fox, is there anyone in Fox who doesn’t fully suck?

I didn’t want Harris to get the nomination full stop (cause I think she will lose and it won’t be particularly close), but this coronation is even worse. At least the Dems should have pretended to have an open convention, put there some fall figure to challenge Harris etc.

GOP will have an even more field day in attacking the Dems as being an anti-democratic party controlled by the shadow party elites, deep state, Kamala being a puppet of them etc. Furthermore, her being the VP of an extremely unpopular president won’t help her case.

Come on Bernie, do the right thing. Challenge Kamala after getting shafted twice by the Dems, maybe the third time is the charm and would completely destroy GOP’s narrative of the deep state. Bernie is as removed from party elites as it gets.

I guess it's over.

At this rate I think it will be a formality, nobody will bother going up against her unless they’re just using it to get their profile up for next time.

I feel like a huge weight has been lifted, I had been avoiding this thread and all US news because I was so sure Trump was going to walk it against Biden and it made me feel incredibly despondent. Now it feels like there is real hope. What a relief.

I didn’t want Harris to get the nomination full stop (cause I think she will lose and it won’t be particularly close), but this coronation is even worse. At least the Dems should have pretended to have an open convention, put there some fall figure to challenge Harris etc.

GOP will have an even more field day in attacking the Dems as being an anti-democratic party controlled by the shadow party elites, deep state etc. Furthermore, her being the VP of an extremely unpopular president won’t help her case.
It's interesting that Obama has stopped short of endorsing her, instead saying the convention will pick the best candidate, they will have to do something competitive at the convention.

Biden is a fecking prick, why did he leave this so late!? You're 81 ffs, should have said he wasn't running last year and let the Dems go through the primary process. Instead he's absolutely shafted himself and the Democrats.

No primary, coronation for Harris - she's going to get twatted by Trump. Brilliant.

Biden is a fecking prick, why did he leave this so late!? You're 81 ffs, should have said he wasn't running last year and let the Dems go through the primary process. Instead he's absolutely shafted himself and the Democrats.

No primary, coronation for Harris - she's going to get twatted by Trump. Brilliant.
True, the only reason Trump gained so much momentum is Biden.

Biden neither made the decision to run, nor to quit. Whoever is behind him is a fecking prick. It was obvious for a year that he is senile and cannot win. The right thing was to have open primaries, so a strong candidate emerges and during it gets name recognition.

Biden probably doesn’t know his name at this stage.

Tbf, many admire Trump.

But jokes aside, I think "admiration" is not the right requirement for a presidential candidate. Smacks of the current reality-show nature of politics and news all over the world.

Imo, they need relevant political experience and willingness to do what they believe is best for the country. Anything beyond that feels like romanticizing the office just because of the remarkable stories we've heard about the presidents of the past. It's often the hard decisions they take while in office that brings them the admiration years later. Not before running.

I saw another poster bemoaning the lack of great candidates in their lifetime. Even Lincoln wasn't quite universally admired iirc.
Yeah, I was speaking more poetically. By “politician I admire” I mean one who is ethical and will do what’s best for the country. The exact opposite of a reality tv personality, which is what the other side is running.

I’m not sure why the word “admiration” makes you think of reality TV politics, but I don’t watch reality TV so many they use that term a lot?

The RNC show alone should have made the few (if there is any) undecided voters out there say to themselves "Do I really want to be associated with this circus ?"
That's something that only works in Trumps favour with his fanbase/cult and maybe a few people who were put off by Biden's current state.

But now, and I think its something that the Orange felon is uncomfortable about , I'm certain you put someone up against Trump who's young ( in comparison), intelligent and charismatic then the Dems have a real shot, even at this stage.

In the next debate, someone has to wipe the floor with that B'stard.

GOP will have an even more field day in attacking the Dems as being an anti-democratic party controlled by the shadow party elites, deep state, Kamala being a puppet of them etc. Furthermore, her being the VP of an extremely unpopular president won’t help her case.

Yeah and those buying that narrative are already Republicans.

I don’t think anyone other than Republicans care about that. The VP getting the nod after the Prez resigned isn’t something shocking it’s the logical order of things, she hasn’t been parachuted in.

She isn’t a great speaker that much is true.

GOP will have an even more field day in attacking the Dems as being an anti-democratic party controlled by the shadow party elites, deep state, Kamala being a puppet of them etc.
They can try that if they want. There is good reason to believe it won't be effective: voters overwhelmingly believed Biden was too old to be president again and wanted a different candidate.

I see most top Democrats holding for another week or so before committing until the polls start rolling to see where they stand with Harris and will take it from there.

Do people still think the debate wasn't going to matter? :angel:

Debates don't really matter unless it's a car crash. I remember the GE of 2013 in Malta. The labour party was cruising on 10 points at the poll. The two vice leaders came toe to toe and the labour party vice leader (a former police) turned it into a classic 60s movie interrogation. The result of that was so bad that he was made to resign despite him being a popular figure within the party

I see most top Democrats holding for another week or so before committing until the polls start rolling to see where they stand with Harris and will take it from there.

What exactly has Harris got to do to beat Trump?
On the face of it its only the swing voters that have to be convinced.
The democrats have fumbled the 'three-card-trick', in getting Joe to stand down (and are hopefully praying he wont forget and in a weeks time decide he is running again!), surely the answer is Harris, got to be, she is as different as its possible to be from Trump, in age, ethnicity and outlook.

What could she do wrong that would make voters who are not already committed to Trump, vote for him?
Where are the uncommitted going to go if not to the new kid on the block?

Without an open convention, this would be a mistake. The DNC should listen to many devoted Democrats. Let Harris earn this.

You can dismiss things as much as you wish, but people voted in the primaries in a democratic process, and they want a fair choice of the new nominee.

I hope that Nancy Pelosi and other leaders of the party call for that.

You'd think actualy power brokers dont have their own internal poll and have to rely on politico?

There are internal polls, but the good pollsters want their polls to be known (or else what's the point?). I'm sure they'll do it for money, but the stuff we have access to is at least as reliable as the stuff people on the inside have access to.

Polling also takes (some) time, if you want to it to be good.

That’s nuts

That is crazy. These legacy families really need to feck off. I'm sure we'll get one of Trump's kids and then grandkids throwing their name in the ring in future elections to keep the Trump legacy going too.

Without an open convention, this would be a mistake. The DNC should listen to many devoted Democrats. Let Harris earn this.

You can dismiss things as much as you wish, but people voted in the primaries in a democratic process, and they want a fair choice of the new nominee.

I hope that Nancy Pelosi and other leaders of the party call for that.
What do you think an open convention is? It's the definition of party elites stitching something up. There is no feasible way of re-running the primary so the only method with any kind of apparent legitimacy is the delegates of the guy who won nominating the person he says they should nominate. It's very far from ideal, but I'm yet to see any other way they can realistically go about this.

That is crazy. These legacy families really need to feck off. I'm sure we'll get one of Trump's kids and then grandkids throwing their name in the ring in future elections to keep the Trump legacy going too.

Remember in 16, when Trump and MAGA was all about ending political dynasties?

There is no feasible way of re-running the primary so the only method with any kind of apparent legitimacy is the delegates of the guy who won nominating the person he says they should nominate. It's very far from ideal, but I'm yet to see any other way they can realistically go about this.
Exactly, if the democrats 'fumble' this one and try to get around Harris, as the legitimate heir to Biden, and then lose the big one, all hell will let loose.

The other thing to be considered is that the US now has effectively a 'lame duck' President for the next four months, and apparently a legitimate VP who (on the face of it) will need a convention to validate her candidacy for the top job....so in effect she is a 'lame duck VP' as well..... that's a dangerous space for the US to occupy, especially at this point in time.

What you would expect should be a high priority (and a point scoring opportunity over the GoP) is the naming of Harris's running mate for November.

Trump has already made his choice and jumped several generations, and backgrounds, with that choice, now the democrats have to better that and for once in the last six months, get on the front foot.

Juat saw that Hulk Hogan bit. Officially crossed the line into Idiocracy it seems.

Ok, that happened about 8 years ago, but still, my god.

Yeah and those buying that narrative are already Republicans.

I don’t think anyone other than Republicans care about that. The VP getting the nod after the Prez resigned isn’t something shocking it’s the logical order of things, she hasn’t been parachuted in.

She isn’t a great speaker that much is true.
And independents. And Democrats.

There is no doubt that 'the party elite' have controlled the Democrat party (same as how it was for GOP before Trump). They fecked Bernie twice, and stole his nomination. They had a demented puppet as president for 3.5 years, and now they will have another puppet who did nothing to earn this (she was polling less than 1% before she quit last time around). So, it is not very hard to campaign on this, and actually it is completely true.

The crazy thing is that all this is done in a name of a candidate who has little to no chance of winning. She has a -12 approval rate, she doesn't speak that well, she cannot relate well with people, she was hidden from public for 3.5 years when VP, and she was the tsar of immigration policy, the weakest point of Democrats. It is as suicide as it was continuing with Biden. The only thing she has is that she is not demented, and won't lose the 'genocide Joe' few voters. But that won't be near enough.

'Trump is a threat to democracy, so let's throw the election' is batshit crazy.

Last edited:
Biden neither made the decision to run, nor to quit. Whoever is behind him is a fecking prick. It was obvious for a year that he is senile and cannot win. The right thing was to have open primaries, so a strong candidate emerges and during it gets name recognition.

Biden probably doesn’t know his name at this stage.

I think a lot rides on Biden personally, but you're right the entire Dem organisation is a fecking shit show. Full on West Wing, smell your own farts, aren't we great, bunch of twats.

The fact that he's dropped out now, after primaries were to be held, is shocking incompetence.