2024 U.S. Elections | Trump v Harris

I think the bigger issue is the matter of campaign funds already donated to Biden. Only Harris could use them, which would be a massive hurdle for other challengers to overcome.
If another candidate replaces Biden and Kamala stays on as the VP candidate, could that be a workaround? Assuming Kamala goes for it.

I think the bigger issue is the matter of campaign funds already donated to Biden. Only Harris could use them, which would be a massive hurdle for other challengers to overcome.

IIRC there are two strategies, one where you put all the money into a federal Super PAC, which is sub optimal, or the Biden campaign shuts down and gives the remaining money to the DNC, like Bloomberg did with his campaign money. None are as straightforward and easy as simply Harris taking over though. They could also just rely on a really wealthy VP *cough* Pritzker *cough* to make up the difference and boost early funding.

That said, the whole setting up a presidential campaign from scratch in a month or so seems a bit of a challenge. Newsom probably has a strategy ready the way he has been going and Kamala can piggy back on Biden's campaign, but for the rest it would pretty much be starting from square one.

So I read in this forum that any money collected by donors, would not be able to be used by another ticket. (how they would return the money would be funny as they spent part of it). So only Harris would be able to use it. If they would get another person as president choice and keep Harris as VP, they would be able to use the money?

So I read in this forum that any money collected by donors, would not be able to be used by another ticket. (how they would return the money would be funny as they spent part of it). So only Harris would be able to use it. If they would get another person as president choice and keep Harris as VP, they would be able to use the money?

The Biden campaign can *I think* roll that money over into a super-pac that would then work independently of the new ticket. It could also turn it over to the DNC directly or reimburse donors - many of whom (I'm assuming here) would be willing to re-donate to the new campaign.

From what I've read it seems the only stipulation is that the money could not be given directly to the new campaign. It does seem like a murky area though.

The Biden campaign can *I think* roll that money over into a super-pac that would then work independently of the new ticket, turn it over to the DNC directly or reimburse donors - many of whom (I'm assuming here) would be willing to re-donate to the new campaign.

From what I've read it seems the only stipulation is that the money could not be given directly to the new campaign. It does seem like a murky area though.

I see. Thanks!

If another candidate replaces Biden and Kamala stays on as the VP candidate, could that be a workaround? Assuming Kamala goes for it.

Probably not since the new POTUS nominee wouldn’t have been who the money was originally donated to. Although I don’t think this has ever been tested.

Probably not since the new POTUS nominee wouldn’t have been who the money was originally donated to. Although I don’t think this has ever been tested.

Wouldn't the same apply to Harris if she became the new POTUS candidate in that case? If that is the case, then the campaign funds issue will still be there even if she replaces Biden. So it won't work in her favour. Opens it up to a more competitive primary without that in her back pocket.

Unless it's Biden who decides where the funds go. Then it becomes a race to get his endorsement, which you would assume will be Harris.

They only have to return money they haven't spent.

The Biden-Harris campaign is personally connected to Joe Biden and Kamala Harris specifically, both their names are on the registration form - if Harris remains on the ticket either as VP or President, the campaign can use the money. At least theoretically.

Saurav Ghosh, a lawyer at the Campaign Legal Center, a non-partisan watchdog group, said there are two scenarios in which control of Biden's money could be seamlessly transferred to a new candidate: If that candidate were Vice President Kamala Harris, or if Harris became the running mate of a new candidate. As Biden's current running mate, Harris' name appears alongside Biden's on the campaign's registration documents.

"If Harris remains on the ticket, as either the presidential or vice presidential candidate, the new ticket would maintain access to all the funds," Ghosh said.

But everything that could happen is unprecedented, so nothing has actually been tested in similar situations before.

Shapiro would be a solid pick from a necessary state. Not sure about Cooper since NC seems like a tougher nut to crack. On Buttigieg, he's already a national figure who outperformed Harris in the 2020 primaries, and I think the country is ready for him to move to the next level.
This just got posted. Kelly and Beshear would be solid picks aswell.

Got it

Hey... Hey you... get your filthy hands off my governor!

:lol: Cooper is about to step down anyway so it would benefit Josh Stein to have the beloved incumbent on the presidential ticket as that would boost Dem turnout in the state.

They only have to return money they haven't spent.

The Biden-Harris campaign is personally connected to Joe Biden and Kamala Harris specifically, both their names are on the registration form - if Harris remains on the ticket either as VP or President, the campaign can use the money. At least theoretically.

But everything thar could happen is unprecedented, so nothing has actually been tested in similar situations before.
Think this covers the same question I asked @Raoul. Thanks.

Essentially, it sounds like a legal mindfield. Harris being on the ticket in some form might be a way around it, but lawyers will need to get heavily involved. So we can assume it's probably a write off or a future campaign finance shenanigan down the line.

Think this covers the same question I asked @Raoul. Thanks.

Essentially, it sounds like a legal mindfield. Harris being on the ticket in some form might be a way around it, but lawyers will need to get heavily involved. So we can assume it's probably a write off or a future campaign finance shenanigan down the line.

The only silver lining that a non Harris nominee would benefit from is that in the absence of being able to leverage the Biden/Harris funds, is they would almost certainly get bombarded with an unprecedented amount of campaign funds very quickly by way of Dem leaning billionaires and voter donations.

The only silver lining that a non Harris nominee would benefit from is that in the absence of being able to leverage the Biden/Harris funds, is they would almost certainly get bombarded with an unprecedented amount of campaign funds very quickly by way of Dem leaning billionaires and voter donations.
I think the unavoidable and immense media coverage of whoever replaces Biden will give them a huge advantage late in the race. Not just in campaign finance but the whole psychological "fresh face" effect amongst any wavering voters could tip the balance if they come across as semi-competent.

How's Kamala viewed amongst the general public?
Replacing Biden with her would be a mistake in my view. She’s not popular.

As I said before, and I talk to fellow Democrats, either keep Biden or have a totally fresh name who isn’t part of the current administration. I personally wouldn’t be thrilled to vote for her, but I would do it in opposition to Trump. Not everyone is like me, though.

Senator John Tester is calling on Biden to drop out.

What a fecking circus the RNC has been. I can't believe these clowns will be running the US (into the ground) for the next four years and possibly beyond.

If the dems don’t somehow nominate a candidate who was being filmed choking puppies or something like that, they will win this.
So it’s about 50/50 I’d say.

AOC did a livestream where she shared her concerns about replacing Biden. Her political instinct seems off on this one.

Anyone else thinks that Michelle Obama is the only way to beat the fat Orange pedo? I bet he will call her Michael in the possible debate

No. Please don't set everyone off again. I think we need a note on the thread from the mods.

giphy.gif

It’s so funny that Republicans rail against Hollywood and celebrities, but at the same time desperate to have them associate with them. And then the only ones they can get are Kid Rock and Hulk Hogan.