2024 Summer Olympics (Paris)

This would only be the case if she failed at a lower height I think. A successful lower clearance doesn’t count against a vaulter does it?

She was obviously confident that she could clear 4.55m easily but it does seem bizarre to come in at a height which proved to be an easy qualification height. In a strange stadium, with nerves of the Olympics, just getting one clearance at the most basic level could only have helped.

Which is the point, to avoid a failed attempt at a lower clearance.

That seems very counter intuitive: if they're worried about a miss at a lower height, skipping that height. Mistakes happen of course, it just seems unnecessarily risky.

Yes but this is qualifying. She is ranked 1 in the world and only needed to get into the top 12. If she’s worried about failing 4.20m then it’s all the more reason to start at that height, as there’s a lot more chance of failing more than once at 4.55m. It can only have been over-confidence - it won’t have been tactical.

They all thought Andrade got gold and she ended up getting 4th. :lol:

Seen this happen a few times though this Olympics, judges and crowd/commentators being far apart in their opinions.

Instant disqualification for one false start incredibly harsh.
Should be banned from competing for a couple of months on top of that. If you start falsely you haven't reacted to the gun but instead tried to gain an unfair advantage. No room for cheating in sports.

Yes but this is qualifying. She is ranked 1 in the world and only needed to get into the top 12. If she’s worried about failing 4.20m then it’s all the more reason to start at that height, as there’s a lot more chance of failing more than once at 4.55m. It can only have been over-confidence - it won’t have been tactical.

I wish she wasn't ranked no 1 then maybe she wouldn't have felt the need to put down marker

It's a fairly common tactic for the best, as an example in High Jump the women gold and silver medalists didn't jump at 1,86m. Duplantis and Karalis didn't jump at 5,40m or 5,70 but he did at 5,60m and 5,75m.

Definitely possible but looks slightly to hard for this format, I agree.

@Pogue Mahone According to the Olympic website, Roberts wasn't awarded the first boulder, pretty sure I saw him top it? Any info what happened?

I wasn’t sure he got it at the time. Never quite looked like he had proper control. You could see him anxiously check the judges.

Should be banned from competing for a couple of months on top of that. If you start falsely you haven't reacted to the gun but instead tried to gain an unfair advantage. No room for cheating in sports.
No allowance for big show nerves or the like? I don't think they are cheating

I thought it went on count backs and number of failures, can't see how skipping heights contributes to that positively?
The point is saving energy. If you think you can easily clear a certain height, there's no point wasting energy on lower heigh jumps
See above
It will be so long
"Olympic athlete psyching themselves up to hit up Anthony Ammirati"
It never was a gold performance (from my laymans view). I was surprised to hear them be so positive as she looked off balance at times.
Italian commentary thought gold or silver, around the same score as D'Amato

Anyways, get in!!! Gold and Bronze, Italy wins gymnastics!

It's not the only reason.
It's the main reason at entry heights

Edit: wait, no, I'm thinking final here, not qualifiers. For qualifiers it's about limiting the number of attempts

Weird how slow Thompson's second half looked given the fast time.
Yeah he lost a lot of time - relatively - in the final 10m. You can see him dipping and straining for the line about 5m out which costs him forward momentum and probably makes the difference. Lyles' last 50 was impressive though.

I had Thomson on at 10/1 from earlier in the season so I'm gutted with the result. Going by his and Oblique's semi-final, they were surely capable of 9.70-75. Combination of Lyles' experience/temperament and his 200m background that helps him to sustain top performances after several rounds.

It's a fairly common tactic for the best, as an example in High Jump the women gold and silver medalists didn't jump at 1,86m. Duplantis and Karalis didn't jump at 5,40m or 5,70 but he did at 5,60m and 5,75m.

Yeah that's the problem she isn't at the level of a Duplantis to just be passing on lower heights. Can only hope this has taught her a harsh lesson for the Worlds in 2025.

Kayak cross finals this afternoon, should be chaos :lol:

Is there any update on the surfing? Enjoyed what I saw of it but keeps getting moved

It's the main reason at entry heights

Yes, you don’t want to be going through every single height if you don’t need to. In an Olympics (especially a first one), better to be cautious and do an early height in qualifying generally I’d say, even if you feel really good. One extra vault in qualifying isn’t going to impact a performance in the final.

Kayak cross finals this afternoon, should be chaos :lol:

Is there any update on the surfing? Enjoyed what I saw of it but keeps getting moved
No updates so far but it's the middle of the night in Tahiti... I believe the last communication still holds true, which is that the semis will start at 6pm London time later today.

Oh man, face palmed the landing.

:lol:Wow, now the Japanese guy fell off the beam flat on his back...then stacks the landing after remounting. Mixed bag at the gymnastics today.

Think the gymnastics is just cursed today, so many falls. Wouldn't be shocked if the floor just gives way later.

Horizontal bar been underwhelming unfortunately. Best excercise for me :(

We'll always have the uneven bars and Zou on the parallel bars. And Biles

Guy who cost China gold in the team event, botches the landing too. That's the 4th? who did. Cyprus guy likely would have taken gold had he stuck the landing. The other chinese guy as well

Gold medalist brought an easy routine and did it well and it's gonna be enough for gold :lol:

:lol:Is that mat wonky or something? All the gymnasts messing up the landing.

These Olympic memes are crazy this time around. The ones about the Turkish shooter are the best. :lol:
This one is speaking facts though

What do people think is a realistic target of Gold medals for this week. I feel like 10 is doable but need to average around 2 a day.

Do they make a load of spare medals? In this gymnastics event they readily had a second bronze available