2024 Summer Olympics (Paris)

Not a spectator friendly sport, but damn impressive. The closest we get to the original ideal of being good at everything?
It’s incredible to be of that quality across 10 sports. But when you’re so used to seeing fine margins at Olympic level the mind naturally associates those huge gaps like “wtf?” And it’s easy to forget that these guys are competing 10 sports and have strengths / weaknesses.

GB who were defending champions in this one basically didn’t even bother this time because they knew that there was no chance, the female swimmers are just not good enough for this level of competition

Think my times of winding up my American friends at any opportunity that GB and others are ahead of the US are done for the rest of the games. That was a sensational win

It's an entertaining race for sure but the problem is having strong male swimmers in the first 2 styles is a decisive advantage

GB who were defending champions in this one basically didn’t even bother this time because they knew that there was no chance, the female swimmers are just not good enough for this level of
Yeah even Peaty wasn’t going to rescue us from that one.

I was disappointed in Marchand’s performance at the relay. Didn’t really cut into the advantage the Chinese/Americans had.

Think my times of winding up my American friends at any opportunity that GB and others are ahead of the US are done for the rest of the games. That was a sensational win
Thank you. We have disappointed in the pool, but team USA can always pull a memorable moment like that. Ledecky showed the rest how to do it.

They need more men and women mixed medley events. The swimming and the 4x400 mixed have been the best craic of the whole thing.

The swimming in particular because of the variation in strategies made it completely enthralling to watch.

Last edited:
They need more men and women mixed medley events. That and the 4x400 mixed have been the best craic of the whole thing.

That in particular because of the variation in strategies made it completely enthralling to watch.
Yeah that was probably the highlight from the track tonight, it’s still a fairly new event and the best athletes are a bit reluctant to take part as they don’t want to hamper their individual events but it’s still a good watch.

I've watched a few volleyball games this olympics. I've noticed that there's basically a karaoke going on in the stands between points. Cool crowd or has it always been like this? :lol: They keep singing long after the music stops.

When GB analyse their performance overall they will see that swimming has been a disappointment this time specially after the highs last time. Swimming is unpredictable because there are so many countries doing well but GB have zero participation in anything about 200m and also have no real top female swimmer. The Covid going around the camp hasn’t helped of course

When GB analyse their performance overall they will see that swimming has been a disappointment this time specially after the highs last time. Swimming is unpredictable because there are so many countries doing well but GB have zero participation in anything about 200m and also have no real top female swimmer. The Covid going around the camp hasn’t helped of course
I think it’s hard to picture it this way. Disappointment can only be relative to expectations before the game and year PBs. The reality is the olympics come around every four years and there’s so many variables. It’s swings and roundabouts in terms of talent but timing is also important and when you peak. It’s hard to draw comparisons to 4 years ago.

I think it’s hard to picture it this way. Disappointment can only be relative to expectations before the game and year PBs. The reality is the olympics come around every four years and there’s so many variables. It’s swings and roundabouts in terms of talent but timing is also important and when you peak. It’s hard to draw comparisons to 4 years ago.
Last Olympics were 3 years ago. 5 year gap before those games too.

They need more men and women mixed medley events. The swimming and the 4x400 mixed have been the best craic of the whole thing.

The swimming in particular because of the variation in strategies made it completely enthralling to watch.
It is but also it's kinda rigged. Due to the differences between styles, the differences in waves generated by men and women, and the advantage in swimming in "clean" water, the teams that can send a strong male swimmer in backstroke and breaststroke have a huge advantage

I've watched a few volleyball games this olympics. I've noticed that there's basically a karaoke going on in the stands between points. Cool crowd or has it always been like this? :lol: They keep singing long after the music stops.
This is the best atmosphere around the Olympics that I can recall.

100%.

I also thought the Judo mixed final was great.

It's the best venue of the games, only got the Eiffel Tower in the background as well...

Last Olympics were 3 years ago. 5 year gap before those games too.
Doesn’t significantly change the point though. GB’s best swimmers were at their peak well before these Olympics and the reality is that was as a result of the boost you get from interest from London 2012. It’s clearly weaning off slowly and there just isn’t the talent to take over the baton.

Don't watch much women's football, but the amount of shthousery from the Brazilian women is next level. Like peak Suarez levels of moral depravity. Keeper just obviously palmed it over and saying she didn't touch it, ball shifted about 90 degrees! Wild.

Don't watch much women's football, but the amount of shthousery from the Brazilian women is next level. Like peak Suarez levels of moral depravity. Keeper just obviously palmed it over and saying she didn't touch it, ball shifted about 90 degrees! Wild.

Also in pretty much every games, she seems to pick up an injury whenever the opposition as some momentum. It's not on purpose, it's fairly amazing.