2024 Summer Olympics (Paris)

BMX just seems like if you get through the first corner in the lead then you win. In all my knowledge of precisely two races watched. Could do with doubling the length.
That is actually true. I watched all of the qualifying,semis & finals and hardly any race had lead changes after the first corner

BMX just seems like if you get through the first corner in the lead then you win. In all my knowledge of precisely two races watched. Could do with doubling the length.
Basically F1 under the Max era.

Yeah it's a bit shite. Your race is basically over if you're not leading at the first bend- not seen anyone ever caught from that position.

The hosts always perform very well, no?
Japan was 7 gold in 2012, 12 in 2016 and 27 in 2020 at home
China won the whole thing in Beijing and never managed to better USA since
Pretty sure GB also did extremely well in London, not sure about Brazil
They’ve sent almost 600 athletes, compared to 400 previously. Same as 2012, seven years is a long time to pump in money.

As long as they keep adding more sports, the richer countries will be able to spread their money wider. Not to mention the continued addition of professional sports.

GB with 3 golds, 3 silver and 1 bronze today. Don’t think this day will be bettered for a while

Yeah they tend to do so, they get automatically entered into every event and the countries tend to increase funding. Remember someone saying GB's performance in 2012 was the equivalent of financial doping.

It’s beyond being the hosts in my view. They have good depth and width.

Pure french product, Michael Olise, maybe sealed France's qualification!

The interview with the Dutch silver medalist was awesome. She was compleyely lost for words. Such a far cry from the footballers who are lobotomised by endless media training.

That would be crazy. The argentine tackles when the french player has already taken a step.
Madness. As Eurosport said they are now looking at every goal under the microscope for reasons to disallow them. That is not what it's supposed to be for.

Madness. As Eurosport said they are now looking at every goal under the microscope for reasons to disallow them. That is not what it's supposed to be for.

Especially when in this case they are sanctioning the player that reacted first and also expect him to somehow change his stride because the opponent decided to go under him.

The match ends with a brawl between Argentina and France. :lol:

The American guy Young has been absolutely dying for the entire race, no idea how he’s still hanging on in this 10,000km!
He's looked like that in races ever since high school! Born for the pain cave that lad but it's usually no indication of him fading...he kicks and finishes hard off that level of distress generally. Crazy to think that's only his 3rd ever 10000m race on the track though

Beth just didn't get off the line did she?

Ethiopia set the pace of that 10k but only 1 got a medal, did they go too quick or just less sprint?
I think it was a pretty sound tactic to be fair. Kejelcha usually has a monster kick and the three of them basically taking 600-1k chunks at 2.39/2.40 a km was a pretty shrewd tactic and should have theoretically run the legs off a lot of them. The couple of laps lull where Barega and Aregawi didn't come through and left Kejelcha out there whilst Mo Ahmed pushed to the front and slowed it down with a 65 and 69 probably put the kick and legs back into some of the runners, like Fisher, who may have struggled to kick if it had all been run at metronomic 63/64s. That's the sort of race that people should have put Mo Farah through at his peak as it would have really put the pinch on his ability to run a monster last lap.

Cheptegei the unknown known quantity always had the potential to do that. Double WR holder and silver medallist but coming off a difficult couple of seasons including a fairly average marathon debut and some chequered results. I'd imagine the Ethiopians just thought they'd try and run the sprint out of the field and the odds would be that his form would still not be there.

Fecking Van Gaal and his dismissive comments on Argentina. They just cant stop acting like cnuts since.

Yeah, they were wild about her in the beeb studio tonight and yesterday, but they legit only showed her heats and never mentioned the winner also being as dominant in her heats.
They showed the Aussie last night and mentioned several times that she had the fastest lap prior to the final. It was only tonight they rushed through the highlights of the 2 Brits’ semi finals.

Are the TV networks spending as much time trying to extract emotion from the athletes and family members as they are actually covering the event in your part of the world?
I find it so tacky!

Proud so close then…

Yeah Peaty, Richards and now Proud along with that Rowing one yesterday too. Just a couple of those go in our favour and would be up there with the host nation.

French athletes in a variety of sports have definitely stepped up in a big way probably even more so than we did at London 2012

Did think at one point yesterday we might equal the 6 Golds of Super Saturday, unfortunately Windsurfing then got called off, Shriever had shocker in BMX and then the two close silvers mentioned earlier.

Last edited:
Judo is not really a great spectator sport for the uninitiated is it?

Just read that a girl who wasn't even born at the London Olympics is competing in the skateboard comp. 11 years :nervous: