2024 Summer Olympics (Paris)

Did you see the women's heavyweight final? That was apalling.

Judo is like that tough, I was a national level judoka in my youth, the higher up the levels you get, the more attritional the fights become. At the very top level its a pretty boring sport to watch.
I saw a bit, and yes, it wasn’t exciting, to put it mildly.

Some of these judokas barely move. Reiner is 130 kg, but he looks fitter than others. The Ippon was epic.

Yeah, it's all about hand positioning and having the perfect leverage or milking penalties.
Yeah, if you give away a dominant grip, especially one over the top, you're in deep trouble. The scoring system has changed quite a lot since I competed though, penatlies used to actually be more punative.

It used to be there were 4 scores: Yuko, Koka, Waza-ari and Ippon. Yukos and Kokas were the two smallest scores, they didn't aggregate but would break ties if higher scores were equal. There were 4 penalties (Shido, Chui, Keikoku and Hansukomake) that lined up with the 4 scores, they counted as a score for the opponent and they did aggregate (two two shidos became a chui etc.). This meant that penalties become scores for the opponnents, so you had much fewer draws.

US score a world record on the heats of the 4x400 mixed relay
Think this is a fast track. Saw a bit of 100m heats in the morning and I was seeing a lot of national records, PBs and SBs. So might see some records fall on the track.

Think this is a fast track. Saw a bit of 100m heats in the morning and I was seeing a lot of national records, PBs and SBs. So might see some records fall on the track.

I've been watching Gaitlin's podcast the last weeks and he said that they designed the track to be the fastest or one the fastest ever.

Why is the running track purple?

Red just looks infinitely better. Even Rio's blue is better than this.

I've been watching Gaitlin's podcast the last weeks and he said that they designed the track to be the fastest or one the fastest ever.
Sorry I'm not clued in, how does a track be 'faster'? More traction?

How does that work. Is the surface more seamless in some way?

Sorry I'm not clued in, how does a track be 'faster'? More traction?
Yeah usually tracks with better grip and tracks with surfaces that allow less ground contact when running generally produce faster times. Also tracks at altitude with thinner air produce faster times because there is less air resistance when running but I dont think that applies to Paris.

if someone broke Bolts record on a track like this by a tenth of a second are they actually faster than Bolt?

Commentator just confirmed what we are discussing that the track is so fast.

If there was a 4X800m event for women, GB would be miles ahead of everyone else. Going into these games we have the three fastest runners in the world this year. And those three don’t even include Phoebe Gill, who beat Reekie in the GB trials, or Laura Muir.

if someone broke Bolts record on a track like this by a tenth of a second are they actually faster than Bolt?
Good point but I dont think so because Bolt set multiple world records in multiple countries on multiple surfaces.

Its why people are skeptical of records that are set in Eugene for example because that track is just uniquely juiced to produce historically fast times.

Teddy Riner three times gold medalist.
Greatest french olympian ever?

Was epic anyways. French fans are bringing it. Atmosphere at Judo and Grand Palais for Fencing has been astonishing, will go down as one of the best ever venues

Anywas, Musetti and Djokovic are 4 games and approx 3,217 "WTF?!?!?! Points" into their SF for the right of getting flattened by Carlitos

Norway vs Pedoland in beach volleyball now.

Nice run from Phoebe Gill. Bit of a bonus that woman on the charge behind her stumbled or was tripped a bit, but really composed run for a 17 year old.

Great run by 17-year-old Phoebe Gill in the 800m. That was her first ever race at a major championships, but she never looked in trouble. She’s going to be a real talent.

Greatest french olympian ever?

Was epic anyways. French fans are bringing it. Atmosphere at Judo and Grand Palais for Fencing has been astonishing, will go down as one of the best ever venues

Anywas, Musetti and Djokovic are 4 games and approx 3,217 "WTF?!?!?! Points" into their SF for the right of getting flattened by Carlitos

It would be Mathieu Fourcade in Biathlon. And in summer Olympics there are two very old fencers above him.

Beth is doing really well, Kai struggling a bit but has a back injury

4th in the trampoline the guy who won didn't look pleased or anything

Manaudou 4 medals in 4 Olympics. That's quite impressive.