2024 Summer Olympics (Paris)

Great badminton matchup tonight in the mixed doubles with the Chinese World No.1s and No 3 facing up in the QF.

A surprise loss for the World no 3s cost China the chance to win 2 medals.

Former World No.1 tennis player Angelique Kerber has lost in the Olympic women's singles quarter-finals to current World No.7 Qinwen Zheng.

This is her last match of career.

:lol:Unlucky the Canadian going flying off the high bar.

Looked nasty that. His hand was cut up. Did so well before that too.

The guy's got balls going back up and was brilliant, barring the catastrophic falls.

Former World No.1 tennis player Angelique Kerber has lost in the Olympic women's singles quarter-finals to current World No.7 Qinwen Zheng.

This is her last match of career.
She had a great career, especially in its second half. I wish her happy retirement.

BBC saying Marta got sent off for Brazil for a horrible flying tackles but can't find it on twitter:(

Will be Fritz & Paul next for Murray & Evans, glad I invested in Discovery + for Women's Doubles match.

2 falls in the high bar (3 if you count the same guy falling twice) after the commentators saying they'd never seen anyone fall before.

US seem quite light on golds at the moment. Is that usual? I know they come back strong in the athletics but even them don’t remember them having so few after, what, 5 days?

2 falls in the high bar (3 if you count the same guy falling twice) after the commentators saying they'd never seen anyone fall before.
They didn't say they'd never seen someone fall, they said in competition they'd never seen a strap break.

Just saw the pictures of the triathletes swimming against the stream in the Seine :lol:

Is that usual for these types of competitions? They were almost standing still at one point.

US seem quite light on golds at the moment. Is that usual? I know they come back strong in the athletics but even them don’t remember them having so few after, what, 5 days?
By their Fahrenheit-esque way of ranking the medal table they’re still doing ok, even if the rest of the world disagrees :lol:

Gone by total number, have they?
They always do, for some reason, which I’ve always thought odd because of a) the fact that American sports fans stereotypically have a ‘first is everything, second is nowhere’ attitude and b) they’ve usually finished top on gold medals too, since the end of the Cold War anyway.