2024 Summer Olympics (Paris)

It's incredible technical and requires tonnes of coordination. Athletes comes from 3 different backgrounds so of course there's variations

Swimming requires a ton of technique surely?

All about technique, yes.

Practically every sport requires some technique/coordination. Even something like tractor pulling.

But on a spectrum ranging from tractor pulling to gymnastics/tennis/skateboarding I think we can agree that running and cycling at least is much closer to the former than the latter. Swimming would be closer to the middle of this spectrum I reckon.

Practically every sport requires some technique/coordination. Even something like tractor pulling.

But on a spectrum ranging from tractor pulling to gymnastics/tennis/skateboarding I think we can agree that running and cycling at least is much closer to the former than the latter. Swimming would be closer to the middle of this spectrum I reckon.
Yeah fair enough, it's an endurance sport in the end.

Not even that close to the middle. I’ve got a friend who is a very good amateur cyclist and very strong long distance swimmer. He regularly does triathlons and consistently finishes in the top half. He’s also a total fecking dork. Absolutely hopeless at all ball sports and always has been. He’s big, clumsy, motherfecker. Endurance sports will always be 90% grit and determination (and genetics) and only 10% technical ability. Probably less tbh.

Not even that close to the middle. I’ve got a friend who is a very good amateur cyclist and very strong long distance swimmer. He regularly does triathlons and consistently finishes in the top half. He’s also a total fecking dork. Absolutely hopeless at all ball sports and always has been. He’s big, clumsy, motherfecker. Endurance sports will always be 90% grit and determination (and genetics) and only 10% technical ability. Probably less tbh.
There is no way simming is less than 10% about technique, don't be silly.

With friends like you who needs enemies? :lol:

There is no way simming is less than 10% about technique, don't be silly.

Seriously. I reckon you can teach anyone great swimming technique, eventually. Or at least to a level where it doesn’t make much difference in a long distance contest. Try and teach my dorky pal to smash in a bicycle kick like Garnacho!

Fell sorry for our backstroke swimmer you do all those years training to only get DQ for staying too long under water. Didn't know that was even a thing.

This bbc channel switching is fecking frustrating

Do have discovery plus but find the commentary better on the BBC

As someone who knows nothing about BMX bar thinking it all looks massively impressive

What's the hardest trick they are likely to do?

Just turned the BMX stuff on. Almost every rider eating shit so far. :lol:

Cycling is an incredible technical sport, especially at lower levels (amateur). Most of the UK scene is Crits which requires a very high level of technical ability on the bike.

Even in the pro peloton, there are cyclists who are in the top 10% of the very best when it comes to pure power numbers, but their lack of bike handling skills puts them on the bottom end. See: Ethan Hayter, Remco in the past

Then you have riders who are decent 'endurance' profiles but their bike handling/technical skills win them the biggest races (Mohoric, CRod etc)

That was outrageous by Kieran Reilly.

2nd with that run, no way.

It's not politically correct, but we have the most beautiful athletes.

That was outrageous by Kieran Reilly.

2nd with that run, no way.

I know nothing about BMX scoring in fairness, but SURELY he was better than the Argie.

He was fecking class did all sorts of mad shit.

Watching people do incredible shit on the BMX and then the commentators go “hmm very low difficulty” :lol:

I know nothing about BMX scoring in fairness, but SURELY he was better than the Argie.

They’ve probably drafted in those same judges who screwed over our boxers… /s

Gotta say I love the French ultrabiased crowd. People were whining about Pidcock getting booed but feck that, at least there's some atmosphere on some of these niche sports.

Table tennis between the french supertalent Lebrun and Otcharov right now is like a Darts match, crowd chanting and screaming, love it.

How come the men look so much better at BMX than the women? Most of the tricks the women do seem very tame in comparison to this. Is it just down to being able to generate more speed and height for the jumps?

I thought so.

That run from French dude, can’t see how anyone can top that.

This scoring is bullshit, that was miles better than the Argie.