2024 Summer Olympics (Paris)

How come the men look so much better at BMX than the women? Most of the tricks the women do seem very tame in comparison to this. Is it just down to being able to generate more speed and height for the jumps?

Better athletes, they generate more speed and move themselves faster and in a more controlled way. There is also a higher level of competition due to the amount of boys that practice it, it's extremely difficult to reach the top for men.

Cycling is an incredible technical sport, especially at lower levels (amateur). Most of the UK scene is Crits which requires a very high level of technical ability on the bike.

Even in the pro peloton, there are cyclists who are in the top 10% of the very best when it comes to pure power numbers, but their lack of bike handling skills puts them on the bottom end. See: Ethan Hayter, Remco in the past

Then you have riders who are decent 'endurance' profiles but their bike handling/technical skills win them the biggest races (Mohoric, CRod etc)

I’m probably making my point badly. You do need to have good technique to be a good swimmer or cyclist. I just think it’s not even close to the level of technical mastery needed to get good at, say, ball sports. It’s easier to master and you don’t need the same genetic gifts to be able to reach the top.

Which is not to say that elite endurance athletes aren’t genetically gifted. Just in different ways.

In my extremely inexpert view the French guys run looked more impressive?

Kierans was obviously seriously good but the French guys looked even more ridiculous?

I thought JeanJean got robbed, i’d have had Reilly second and Torres Gil third.

As somebody who has watched competitive BMX riding for almost an hour now, I thought Gil's run was the least visually impressive of the top 3-4 guys.

Gotta say I love the French ultrabiased crowd. People were whining about Pidcock getting booed but feck that, at least there's some atmosphere on some of these niche sports.

Table tennis between the french supertalent Lebrun and Otcharov right now is like a Darts match, crowd chanting and screaming, love it.

Apparently american swimmers said that they liked the atmosphere and hoped that LA will be similar.

I’m kind of lost here but she’s being roasted for saying they would probably win after they… won?
Did you watch the video?

She dissed on their work ethic, mental preparedness, the level of competition, coaching, SafeSport (the thing we made after the Larry Nasser scandal), etc.

This is also the same girl who got mad when she didn’t make the 2016 team, so she posted a pic of herself on the team and edited out Gabby Douglas.

Did you watch the video?

She dissed on their work ethic, mental preparedness, the level of competition, coaching, SafeSport (the thing we made after the Larry Nasser scandal), etc.

This is also the same girl who got mad when she didn’t make the 2016 team, so she posted a pic of herself on the team and edited out Gabby Douglas.

Is it a case of the messenger being the wrong person or the message being wrong?

Did you watch the video?

Yup. It’s only 50 seconds long. She said that, apart from Simone, they’re not a strong team (and gave some reasons why she thinks this) but she reckons they will still probably win because the opposition isn’t great. Which is how it turned out.

I have no clue about her or her background.

The combination of me being an argumentative twat and wanting to savour the Irish gold medal had me watching this footage again today.

Pay close attention from about 30s onwards (overhead and underwater footage) and tell me again that "nobody is using their legs" because it seems pretty clear to me that Wiffen is using his legs a hell of a lot less than basically everyone else.

Yeah so we were arguing different things :lol: by kicking, I thought you meant the proper, above water kicks that are introduced in the last 2-3 laps, to accelerate - the short(er) distance FS technique. So yeah, Wiffen does use his legs very little until then - as do Paltrinieri and Fink - because it's advantageous to do so. Someone else posted links about it too, and yeah. In long distance swimming you want to use your legs as little as possible to save energy

As for Pakistan, I just want it known that they have a medal hopeful in Javelin throw and the guys who are starting to dominate that sport are the Indians.

:cool:

Is it a case of the messenger being the wrong person or the message being wrong?
Both

Skinner is wrong, but she’s also repeatedly been controversial.

I imagine the stuff between her and Biles is personal too, since Skinner was on the Tokyo team & her comments about mental toughness seem rather pointed towards what happened in that games.

I havent watched a single moment of these Olympics other than a recap of the last 10 mins or so of the Argentina-Morocca footie madness. I used to love watching the Olympics. Funny how your priorities change in life I guess. Anyone else the same ?

It's not politically correct, but we have the most beautiful athletes.
We spent some time on the beach in the French Riviera last summer. This weekend, we went to Ocean City, Maryland. A nice place to visit.

Now, my wife kept comparing the fitness of women here and in France. :)

Yup. It’s only 50 seconds long. She said that, apart from Simone, they’re not a strong team (and gave some reasons why she thinks this) but she reckons they will still probably win because the opposition isn’t great. Which is how it turned out.

I have no clue about her or her background.
The stuff she mentioned as examples of why she thought they weren’t a strong team are controversial & basically just her trying to trash the team.

Criticized SafeSport - the thing made after the coaching abuse & sex abuse scandal that hit USA Gymnastics

Criticized the coaching - because she apparently thinks Karolyi’s abusive methods should still be used

Criticized the team quality beyond Biles - Suni Lee is the reigning all around Olympic champion, Jade Carey is the reigning floor Olympic champion, Jordan Chiles is a reigning team silver medalist.

It isn't. She basically said other than Simone Biles, the others lack talent - Lee was the AA gold medalist in Tokyo - and work ethic - these were all athletes who a year ago weren't even sure they'd make the olympic team, mostly older, who already competed in the olympics and had long careers - meaning they actually had to work their butts superhard off to be were they are now

It isn't. She basically said other than Simone Biles, the others lack talent - Lee was the AA gold medalist in Tokyo - and work ethic - these were all athletes who a year ago weren't even sure they'd make the olympic team, mostly older, who already competed in the olympics and had long careers - meaning they actually had to work their butts superhard off to be were they are now
To add to that - everyone on the 2024 team except for Hezley Rivera was on the team with Skinner at Tokyo.

This America vs Brazil boxing match is amazing. Both guys throwing wild punches. A few takedowns in there too.

I have to say that I don't like Oh Sang-Uk. Dudes look like a model and he is also great at his craft.

I havent watched a single moment of these Olympics other than a recap of the last 10 mins or so of the Argentina-Morocca footie madness. I used to love watching the Olympics. Funny how your priorities change in life I guess. Anyone else the same ?

I've been the exact opposite. I wasn't that huge into it growing up and through my early 20s. As time has gone on, I've grown more and more in love with it. I think once you get a bit older and realise your own limitations and are able to base your opinions on what you've seen others be able to do up over the years (either as a spectator, or trying some of these things yourself at a more basic level), it makes you appreciate what these athletes are able to do. Even more so when it's with a huge crowd in front of you and millions watching around the planet. It's not just the physical, but the mental capacity to handle that which amazes me. I'm in awe of how they're able to push the human body to its absolute limits. I watched the BMXing earlier and it just boggles my mind how they're able to get so much air time and combine that with a full raft of tricks. It just doesn't seem possible, but they're doing it right in front of our eyes.

I was unaware that Steampunk Bounty Hunting was an Olympic sport, but I'm all for it!

uA8vWmn.png