2024 Summer Olympics (Paris)

It's always difficult to know until the velodrome starts, the bulk of our medals are usually there with a few in swimming, sailing and equestrian and a couple in other events.

We got more golds in swimming than track cycling in Tokyo. 08-16 we absolutely smashed the track, but think our dominance is at an end.

Rowing is also traditionally more fruitful, expect us to get a couple golds there at least. (Got none for the first in however long in 2020).

That said, Team GB has punched well above its weight since 2012. Reckon we might well be back down to the 10-15 golds range.

The opposite?? You think there should be *more* Tom Daley coverage?? :eek:

I get what you mean about him doing well in a sport we don’t traditionally do well in, but look at Max Whitlock - not only the greatest GB gymnast of all time, but one of the best gymnasts in history (at pommel anyway) and he never got nearly as much attention as Daley does every four years, even when he was winning multiple golds.

And Daley (and his long forgotten partner) weren’t even the first GB divers to win an Olympic gold - Laugher and Mears (who and who??) were in 2016.
No, I'm saying I think there's a counter-reaction amoung sports fans to say Daley is a bit of a joke because of all the TV and media he does. I'm saying he's not, he's won 5 olympic medals including a gold, he's the real deal.

We got more golds in swimming than track cycling in Tokyo. 08-16 we absolutely smashed the track, but think our dominance is at an end.

Rowing is also traditionally more fruitful, expect us to get a couple golds there at least. (Got none for the first in however long in 2020).

That said, Team GB has punched well above its weight since 2012. Reckon we might well be back down to the 10-15 golds range.
Yeah, cycling, sailing and rowing really set the foundation for us and those exceptional years.

I think you're right, 15 golds would be a decent return.

Yeah, cycling, sailing and rowing really set the foundation for us and those exceptional years.

I think you're right, 15 golds would be a decent return.

Yeah I would take that, there isn't any expected golds we have missed out on so far. You could say Peaty but he clearly isn't the same guy we saw in Tokyo.

Yeah I would take that, there isn't any expected golds we have missed out on so far. You could say Peaty but he clearly isn't the same guy we saw in Tokyo.

Yeah Peaty is the only “favourite” GB have missed out on so far and even he was a slight one between him and the Chinese swimmer.

On the Diving, China were always heavy favourites for that one.

Are they not allowed to change bike? In the road time trial they just gave them a different bike, here they have to change tyre like f1

He was doing really well ffs

Are they not allowed to change bike? In the road time trial they just gave them a different bike, here they have to change tyre like f1

He was doing really well ffs
Indeed not allowed to change bikes. Same thing happened to Pieterse yesterday in the women's edition, she would've gotten silver if not for her puncture.

Puncture at a "good" time on the course though and only halfway through the race, so not all is lost for Pidcock.

Djokovic obliterating Nadal in the meantime, painful to watch.

I don't know enough about mountain biking, guessing Pidcock has no chance of getting a gold after the puncture unless the leaders have a problem?

Considering the video of the Japanese judoka absolutely losing her shit when she lost, imagine the same level of effort, commitment, desire and you miss out because of a puncture not because someone beat you.

Considering the video of the Japanese judoka absolutely losing her shit when she lost, imagine the same level of effort, commitment, desire and you miss out because of a puncture not because someone beat you.
A puncture in cycling is part of the game and not always bad luck, especially in CX MTB. Could be down to Pidcock making a mistake or choosing the wrong route on rocky terrain, we won't know until afterwards.

Likewise Tarling, could be not avoiding a shite part of the road (likely given how the road looked in Paris) or the wrong tyre pressure (wet conditions equals fewer tyre pressure).

I don't know enough about mountain biking, guessing Pidcock has no chance of getting a gold after the puncture unless the leaders have a problem?

Race is long enough to still get there. MTB is known for massive phyiscal breakdowns at the end of the race.

A puncture in cycling is part of the game and not always bad luck, especially in CX MTB. Could be down to Pidcock making a mistake or choosing the wrong route on rocky terrain, we won't know until afterwards.

Likewise Tarling, could be not avoiding a shite part of the road (likely given how the road looked in Paris) or the wrong tyre pressure (wet conditions equals fewer tyre pressure).
Oh yeah, many times they're avoidable, but sometimes its just the way the cookie crumbles. Same with breaking chains, sometimes a component is just slightly weak.

Pidcock looks like a machine, he's got the Saffer in his sights now.

Oh yeah, many times they're avoidable, but sometimes its just the way the cookie crumbles. Same with breaking chains, sometimes a component is just slightly weak.

Pidcock looks like a machine, he's got the Saffer in his sights now.
Yup, this isn't over yet. Thrilling race to be fair.

He's up to 2nd!

I think the French guy is conserving energy, surely he can't get him too?!
I doubt it, you can conserve energy, but you wouldn't want the chasers to see you and get on your tyre. If he has energy to spare he'd want to maintain a gap of some sort. Letting them get close as well, any mistake now and he's in trouble.