2024 Summer Olympics (Paris)

Everyone is getting enraged on the equestrian side of things as one of the GB ladies has got penalties for not passing through a flag although there's photos of her doing so

Clearly they aren't used to all the duff decisions that happen in football and VAR!

1)Is there any evidence of transgressive art against any other religions at that scale?
2) would you hold the same opinion if someone does a “transgressive “ art on say LGBTQI +? Or body shaming art? Because consistency is important here

One big problem with all the pearl clutching… it wasn’t a recreation of the last supper but of Greek mythology.

1)Is there any evidence of transgressive art against any other religions at that scale?
I mean…

- it appears that it was a Greco-Roman god’s feast, song, and runway fashion show, not the last supper. Hence why said god’s daughter came riding up the Seine later.

- Da Vinci wasn’t there, so his painting is already inaccurate

- Da Vinci himself painted a gender neutral figure in the painting because he enjoyed doing that & wasn’t straight himself

Maybe we have @Lebo wrong and they are taking offense to the portrayal of the Greek pantheon. There has to be some people out there who still worship them.

This is pretty smart, didn't realise they had a built pool in the middle of a Rugby pitch.

From the swimming:

"Spare a thought for Max Litchfield. He has his head in his hands. That's the third time in a row he has finished fourth at the Olympics."

Brutal.

Not convinced he will back for LA 2028, perhaps it's just not meant to be for the guy at Olympics

Is there any thread for the Basketball tournament ? Either way, Durant made his first miss in the 4th quarter , and that's a guy who apparently is just coming from injury :lol:

Okay if that’s the case then I concede. My interpretation was based on the act mimicking last supper.

I got your point:
would the same "artist" dare making a similar "neo-interpretation" of art pieces from Buddhism or Islam in the same occasion, I think the answer is no, and thus there is inconsistency.

I always think it is a phenomenon that things perceived to be "traditional majority" or "privileged" in the western world are open to mockery but not otherwise.

Eurosport commentator Bob Ballard has been removed from the broadcaster's coverage of the Olympic Games after he made a sexist remark regarding Australia's female swimmers.

After securing gold in the women's 4x100m freestyle relay, Australia's quartet - consisting of Emma McKeon, Shayna Jack, Mollie O'Calloghan and Meg Harris - made their way out of the Paris Aquatic Centre.

At this point, experienced commentator Ballard said: 'Well, the women just finishing up. You know what women are like… hanging around, doing their make-up.'

The men's water polo has had some great games. Japan only lost to Serbia by one and it was a cracking game. France only lost to Hungry by 1, which may not bode well for Australia as they need to beat 2 teams in the group to progress and the 2 weakest teams are Japan and France.

The coverage here has also been garbage with no showing of the full scoreboard, intermittent showing of the shot/exclusion clocks, terrible direction with mostly wode angle shots and bizarrely switching to underwater shots at points which make you miss the action (not to mention the underwater shots are very murky and no split screen is used like for the synchronised swimming). The Australian commentary is also woeful. No chance anyone who isn't into Water Polo will have a clue what he is rambling on about.

I got your point:
would the same "artist" dare making a similar "neo-interpretation" of art pieces from Buddhism or Islam in the same occasion, I think the answer is no, and thus there is inconsistency.

I always think it is a phenomenon that things perceived to be "traditional majority" or "privileged" in the western world are open to mockery but not otherwise.

For me I dislike all religion but as I was brought up a Christian I feel far more comfortable bagging "my" religion. I feel I have earnt the right having to be victimised by it growing up. Of course the not getting murdered by a fanatic bit (fairly or unfairly) probably influences things subconsciously I suspect.

Eurosport commentator Bob Ballard has been removed from the broadcaster's coverage of the Olympic Games after he made a sexist remark regarding Australia's female swimmers.

After securing gold in the women's 4x100m freestyle relay, Australia's quartet - consisting of Emma McKeon, Shayna Jack, Mollie O'Calloghan and Meg Harris - made their way out of the Paris Aquatic Centre.

At this point, experienced commentator Ballard said: 'Well, the women just finishing up. You know what women are like… hanging around, doing their make-up.'
Daft thing to say on commentary but getting sacked for that seems slightly over the top. PC gone mad.

I got your point:

Why is that relevant? This was the opening ceremony of the Paris Olympics. In France. A majority christian country, whose world famous museum happens to show the painting in question. The coreography was created by a French man, the artists were French. Why does it matter whether they would have done the same thing with buddhist or islamic art? Which famous buddhist or islamic art piece is strongly associated with Paris?

Why is that relevant? This was the opening ceremony of the Paris Olympics. In France. A majority christian country, whose world famous museum happens to show the painting in question. The coreography was created by a French man, the artists were French. Why does it matter whether they would have done the same thing with buddhist or islamic art? Which famous buddhist or islamic art piece is strongly associated with Paris?
Assuming it did represent last supper, it would be wrong . You don’t need a famous painting to mock a religion. You can just get a man who looks like a Quran description of Prophet Muhammad eating bacon while saying some famous quotes. Still counts as art right?

And the ceremony is for international olympics. If it was a national event then it won’t matter much.

Rather than seeing it as mocking Christianity it's better to view it as a tribute to da Vinci. From what we know of him he probably would have painted it more like that were he alive today. I'm sure he would have loved modern Paris.

I can see that you are not denying the phenomenon I have observed. Please clarify if you are disagreeing with my observation? Would you say yes to your country making a postmodern interpretation of Islamic or buddist figures on the global stage? If no, why not?

by the way, what is the relationship between The last supper and Paris? The painter and the artwork were/are from Italy. The subject matters were, strictly speaking, Middle Eastern people

Last edited:
For me I dislike all religion but as I was brought up a Christian I feel far more comfortable bagging "my" religion. I feel I have earnt the right having to be victimised by it growing up. Of course the not getting murdered by a fanatic bit (fairly or unfairly) probably influences things subconsciously I suspect.

Or it is easier to mock groups which you perceive to be more timid and less likely to cry or avenge. We all know if the same is done on Islam things, there will be riots on the street of Paris the next day.

I am an atheist brought up in a Christian setting as well anyway.

Or it is easier to mock groups which you perceive to be more timid and less likely to cry or avenge. We all know if the same is done on Islam things, there will be riots on the street of Paris the next day.

I care far more about upsetting people from non-Christian backgrounds as a religion like Christianity that has been through a reformation and everything should be able to take a bit of disagreement an/or piss take. And as I came from that background I feel far more impolite publicly bagging a religion I know far less about growing up in.

Islam and Muslims get mocked in France all the time.

And you have this https://www.amnesty.org/en/latest/news/2024/07/france-hijab-bans-olympic-and-paralympic

That's religious persecution that affects people directly.

The idea that France of all places would not dare to mock Islam is certainly… an opinion.

This kind of thinned skinned victim narrative certainly doesn’t endear anyone to religion though, so knock yourselves out guys. Certainly don’t turn the other cheek or anything Christian like that. Nope, aggressively whinging about some dancing, that’s what’ll bring those church numbers back up.

Last edited:
Back to sport...i wake up on a free monday I have from my work and what do I find on the wondrous Max choose to watch menu...? The ladies volleyball...Netherlands vs Turkey no less. All is good with the world.

Assuming it did represent last supper, it would be wrong . You don’t need a famous painting to mock a religion. You can just get a man who looks like a Quran description of Prophet Muhammad eating bacon while saying some famous quotes. Still counts as art right?

And the ceremony is for international olympics. If it was a national event then it won’t matter much.
Why was this mockery? And the example you gave is a false equivalent. They didn't have a "jesus" on an inverted cross selling cheap trinkets, it was a coreography inspired by a 15th century painting by an Italian who had never even been to the levant. Fecking please. Stop acting as if it's some kind of sacred imagery to Christianity
I can see that you are not denying the phenomenon I have observed. Please clarify if you are disagreeing with my observation? Would you say yes to your country making a postmodern interpretation of Islamic or buddist figures on the global stage? If no, why not?
I don't see a problem with a postmodern interpretation of religious iconography, no. And this was done in France, too. The country of Charlie Hebdo

Croatian waterpolo team coach said they're getting cheese and pattees for meals which is not really adequate.

Croatian waterpolo team coach said they're getting cheese and pattees for meals which is not really adequate.
I've also read some complaints from other delegations. Insufficient protein on the menu for many (lack of chicken, eggs etc), complex carbohydrates and so on.