2024 Summer Olympics (Paris)

Loving all the different sports.
Watched badminton, 48kg judo, women’s water polo, slalom canoe, 10m air rifle, rugby 7s, some swimming.
Not that I understand the shooting fully (yeah, try to hit the bullseye) but the tension was palpable. Can only imagine the amount of hours of training.

The surfing is fun to watch although I don't have a clue about the scoring
I tried watching the surfing but was immediately put off it when I saw that the American was called ‘John John’. Seems like such a weird addition to the Olympics - I don’t see the point in having an event that’s literally taking place on the other side of the planet to Paris.

Have we won the gold yet?
Dutch men and women are favorites to win the gold (women massively), so I suggest once again you get into the sport to get over the post Euros griefing:p

Dutch men and women are favorites to win the gold (women massively), so I suggest once again you get into the sport to get over the post Euros griefing:p
What a silly country and sport

Pft. Everybody knows the Olympics are all about fencing, waterpolo and volleyball. Also rowing maybe, if there's an Abbagnale involved

What a silly country and sport

Pft. Everybody knows the Olympics are all about fencing, waterpolo and volleyball. Also rowing maybe, if there's an Abbagnale involved
You forgot shooting! I just watched the 10m air pistol final and two Italians were killing it (thankfully not literally).

But you're wrong anyway, Olympics are clearly all about rowing and horses (Kind of fitting how our most successfull sports are one that is full of 19th century vibes and the other one is frequently in the news for animal abuse).

The Olympics are all about marveling at sports that you've never seen done at the elite level before. That you'll be absolutely enraptured by for about an hour. That you won't actually bother to watch again, except maybe as an "who's going to win?" option at the Olympics - if the BBC remind me about it.

The skateboarding is on today for example.

I will do my every four years dose of gymnastics watching though.

Yeah our women are amazing from what I always hear.

It's cool that they're so good, but I would ritually sacrifice them all for a football trophy though.

I will do my every four years dose of gymnastics watching though.
Gimnastics is nuts and every 4 years I wonder why they don't promote it more and get more kf it on tv because there's no way it wouldn't become a hugely popular sport
Yeah our women are amazing from what I always hear.

It's cool that they're so good, but I would ritually sacrifice them all for a football trophy though.
Mysoginist :o

Gimnastics is nuts and every 4 years I wonder why they don't promote it more and get more kf it on tv because there's no way it wouldn't become a hugely popular sport

Mysoginist :o
I would sacrifice the men as well, but they're not as good so the gods would be less inclined to grant a prize.

I'm getting very wound up by BBCs coverage. There's constant events on but they spend 90% of the time talking in the studio and another 5% showing vignettes. Show the fecking sport.

I'm getting very wound up by BBCs coverage. There's constant events on but they spend 90% of the time talking in the studio and another 5% showing vignettes. Show the fecking sport.

As others have said, it's speculated that they're not able to due to the constraints they have as a free to air broadcaster and the paid-deals the Olympics now have.

Which is bollocks. Imagine the Euros or World Cup in the same regard. :nervous:

Sadly they haven't got the rights to run the full day using live events so they're rationing it.

Handball is under rated (in the UK, I know it’s fairly big elsewhere). It’s fun to watch and I bet it’s great to play. I think of some of the shite they made us play at school, like rounders, when we could have been playing this.

Handball is under rated (in the UK, I know it’s fairly big elsewhere). It’s fun to watch and I bet it’s great to play. I think of some of the shite they made us play at school, like rounders, when we could have been playing this.
It’s great. Pretty fast paced, lots of goals, fairly easy to understand, and there is very little whining even though it’s really physical.

I have paid for Discovery but there’s too much going on there at the moment, for example they got three different channels for the Gymnastics… whereas with BBC you get to see everything albeit it will be a few minutes behind.

Watching the skateboard girls now and they are all like 14 years old and doing basic tricks (although good for 14 year olds I guess)
But I'm confused
Is it like age group and then later some older compete abd do more advanced tricks?

I have paid for Discovery but there’s too much going on there at the moment, for example they got three different channels for the Gymnastics… whereas with BBC you get to see everything albeit it will be a few minutes behind.

Do you use the Discovery app? You can watch basically every single event. Either live or afterwards. It’s pretty amazing. I don’t have BBC player but it surely can’t be as comprehensive?

Watching the skateboard girls now and they are all like 14 years old and doing basic tricks (although good for 14 year olds I guess)
But I'm confused
Is it like age group and then later some older compete abd do more advanced tricks?
The women's event in particular is dominated by very young skateboarders. It might even be something that they have to look at going forward - for the good of the athletes and the sport. Gymnastics had to introduce a minimum age limit in a similar siituation.

In terms of today I haven't been watching this morning, but you're looking at the heats and I wouldn't be surprised if they're doing compulsory elements rather than the kind of stuff the finalists will do in their runs.

The women's event in particular is dominated by very young skateboarders. It might even be something that they have to look at going forward - for the good of the athletes and the sport. Gymnastics had to introduce a minimum age limit in a situation situation.

In terms of today I haven't been watching this morning, but you're looking at the heats and I wouldn't be surprised if they're doing compulsory elements rather than the kind of stuff the finalists will do in their runs.
Makes sense
Thanks for clarifying

The gymnastics is always my favourite event to watch. I have no idea how the human body is physically capable of doing what these people consistently do. It's brilliant, insane, mind-blowing, intense, awe-inspiring and superb entertainment all at the same time.

Yes
That's why I was confused, not sure they meant something about all around

The commentator here just said something about her being at risk of going onwards, I couldn't make sense of it but nevermind
It is the team event, but I think your marks determine if you qualify for the individual events.

Not sure, commentator here in Denmark just sounded worried she eas number 8 and like she was at risk of not qualifying further
She's at risk of not making the individual final in the uneven bar. Which is her weakest event by a lot and not much of a surprise. She's leading the all around, floor and vault by a lot(she's the best ever in those two)

Do you use the Discovery app? You can watch basically every single event. Either live or afterwards. It’s pretty amazing. I don’t have BBC player but it surely can’t be as comprehensive?
Thanks, just downloaded it onto my iPad and casting to the TV instead, I was using the Discovery app built into SkyQ but it was a bit clunky.

Olympics really should free to air but £4 is bit of bargain really when you consider the amount of content you are getting.