2024 Summer Olympics (Paris)

The Olympics are over, the Euro is over. I will miss this summer, especially the Olympics :(

But that’s exactly my point. Germany has been a powerhouse (also the West) and that’s why their performance is so disappointing considering their sporting history.
Spain and Argentina have never been much of an Olympics kind of countries. Spain had a bit of a boost after Barcelona 92 but that was that.
Argentina I kind of understand -- it's just not their thing and funding outside of the big boys (football, rugby union, etc.) could well be a bit tricky. But Spain has no reason to consistently underperform in the Olympics: it hosted one relatively recently, is geographically surrounded by Olympic powerhouses and most important astonishingly successful in sports elsewhere. Not to mention a Spaniard served as IOC president for two decades plus not too long ago.

By far the best ever Olympics. The crowds have been amazing. And the use of the city itself has been almost perfect

By far the best ever Olympics. The crowds have been amazing. And the use of the city itself has been almost perfect
I agree for the most part. It’s interesting how many people on X are saying the opposite though. Focusing on the food, the water situation in the Seine and for some reason the lack of AC as catastrophic.

Breaking final was amazing. Time for a little rant

Still can't believe the lame LA 2028 organizers didn't continue breaking and picked cricket, lacrosse, squash and flag football as local sports. Lacrosse is only played in rich elite high schools in California and is far more an Easy Coast elite boarding school sport than anything inherent to LA and unlike breaking it heavily favors people growing up wealthy. Flag football is just silly but I get that its where some people think American Football will evolve into but still its not even close to played around the world to make it worthy of an Olympic sport. Squash? give me a fecking break. And cricket should not be a local sport pick for Los Angeles. No one in Los Angeles plays fecking cricket. If they want that to be an Olympic sport then do it but having Los Angeles pick cricket is frankly insane. Breaking is far more inherent to Los Angeles culture and history than any of those (unless you count flag football as practice for tackle football)

Still can't believe the lame LA 2028 organizers didn't continue breaking and picked cricket, lacrosse, squash and flag football as local sports. Lacrosse is only played in rich elite high schools in California and is far more an Easy Coast elite boarding school sport than anything inherent to LA and unlike breaking it heavily favors people growing up wealthy. Flag football is just silly but I get that its where some people think American Football will evolve into but still its not even close to played around the world to make it worthy of an Olympic sport. Squash? give me a fecking break. And cricket should not be a local sport pick for Los Angeles. No one in Los Angeles plays fecking cricket. If they want that to be an Olympic sport then do it but having Los Angeles pick cricket is frankly insane. Breaking is far more inherent to Los Angeles culture and history than any of those (unless you count flag football as practice for tackle football)
If we’re venting, then I’m still peeved that Sweden gets the gold medal and record in pole vault from a guy born, raised, and educated in the state of Louisiana

What I saw of the Olympics was pretty awesome. That is the problem though, what I saw, the BBC coverage was only showing small sections of the action, badly missed the buffet of choice that the red button used to provide. Contractual issues at work of course but the amount of filler on the main channel was ridiculous, would like to see some data based breakdown of what percentage of the BBC1/2 coverage was actually showing live sport, 30/35% would be my guess, so much inane waffle to fill time.

Needs sorted for the next Olympics.

I agree for the most part. It’s interesting how many people on X are saying the opposite though. Focusing on the food, the water situation in the Seine and for some reason the lack of AC as catastrophic.
Yeah, but food and ac aren't really visible, or that interesting, for tv viewer and triathlon (that was a mistake) doesn't interest me much. Not sure morning sessions of athletics has been sold out before, and I doubt there has been 27.000 on women's handball before. But people like to complain on x. I prefer to watch the events and crowds make at least 50% of the experience. Will have plenty of the smaller sports to watch on replay for a week at least, so not over for me yet!

So with the Olympics over what was the highlight and biggest disappointment for your nation?

For Denmark, I'd say the highlight was seeing Viktor Axelsen dominate his way to another gold medal in Badminton. Completely masterful performance, and he has now gone two Olympics in a row without losing a set.

As for the biggest disappointment, I would say only getting a single bronze medal across all cycling events was a let-down. It was certainly nice to see Michael Mørkøv taking a medal in his final outing, but I had hoped for more, including Mads Pedersen doing better on the road.

A lot of the picks are the things you choose when you've just scraped first place in the medals, I guess. You'd think home advantage would be comfortably enough to ensure the USA perform better next time but they're still not gonna be keen to take any chances with the possibility of losing to China on home turf.

So with the Olympics over what was the highlight and biggest disappointment for your nation?

For Denmark, I'd say the highlight was seeing Viktor Axelsen dominate his way to another gold medal in Badminton. Completely masterful performance, and he has now gone two Olympics in a row without losing a set.

As for the biggest disappointment, I would say only getting a single bronze medal across all cycling events was a let-down. It was certainly nice to see Michael Mørkøv taking a medal in his final outing, but I had hoped for more, including Mads Pedersen doing better on the road.

UK

Alex Yee and Tom Pidcock coming back from what looked like impossible positions to get the gold

Disappointment - lot of "very nearly" got quite frustrating, quite a few 4th places. Usually happened with people they'd hype up before hand, someone on here said up thread if they had a BBC graphic they were in for a let down, think that person was onto something :lol:

Highlights: the women in track & field, wrestling, swimming, rugby, soccer, and gymnastics and the men in track & field, golf, and gymnastics.

Disappointments: the men in swimming and wrestling

Last edited:

Highlights for me (GB fan): Alex Yee's incredible come back to get gold, really thought he was cooked. Also rowing being back to being a strong contributor and the team clearly in a happier place.

Disappointment: I was pretty gutted about Matt Hudson Smith losing the 400m on the line, probably because you could see it happening from a while out, and also because his age means I'm not sure he'll be around in LA28. We'd also had a few similar disappointments by then so that emotion was starting to feel quite familiar!

Highlight: Tom Pidcock’s overtake to win gold right at the end of the mountain bike. The boos from the French crowd made it even sweeter.

Disappointment: Too many to list. In general, Team GB coming close to winning gold but repeatedly falling just short.

Highlights for me would be Remco doubling up in the cycling in pretty incredible style, Tebogo looking like one of the best all round sprinters ever, Sydney McLaughlin and Duplantis records, the swimming as ever was a blast, love the atmosphere that creates,

Boxing was a bit shit this time around and Serbia choking in the 4th quarter against USA in the basketball was gutting, as a fan of the sport I really want the international game to continue to develop and create real competition at these events.

Highlight: Sifan Hassan
Disappointment: Judo and Mathieu van der Poel

Nicer weather for the closing ceremony than the opening. Gotta say, I never liked that balloon cauldron thing. You can’t even see the flames.

Great Olympics and I like that France didn’t spend a fortune (relatively speaking) to host it, just trusted in the beauty of one of the world’s great cities. Shame about all the poo in the Seine though.

I guess the hope is Flag Football does for American Football what Rugby 7s does for Rugby.

Cricket is maybe on the IOC's priority list - of only because India has been more or less invisible at the Games and presumably that's not great for expanding broadcast revenue.

Lacrosse is a bit of a mystery though - unless they won the place in a raffle :lol:

Maybe there's some reason why Breaking couldn't be a special pick again after it debuted at Paris?

For Poland surely the highlight was the final in volleyball, shame that we lost. Mirosław being a huge favorite and delivering gold in speed climbing was cool, but it’s not a very serious sport.
Disappointment? Everything else. Absolutely awful, our worst Olympics in 70 years and a disgrace from the fecking corrupted and unprofessional sports associations and committees in Poland. 1 medal in athletics compared to 9 (3 gold) in Tokyo. No young players ready to replace old champions, know-how being wasted. Really disappointing results, personally it was Swiatek that didn’t manage to get the gold that hurt me the most - she was a giant favorite and is easily the best player in the world right now, she really wanted it, too.

Excellent Olympics I will miss them. It’s a shame next two will be so difficult to follow for the Europeans due to the time zones, but it was like this here in Paris for the rest of the world, so I cherished the best Olympics in XXI while they lasted. Absolutely splendid time atmosphere venues and sports level

Great Olympics and I like that France didn’t spend a fortune (relatively speaking) to host it, just trusted in the beauty of one of the world’s great cities. Shame about all the poo in the Seine though.

When you look back these venues albeit temporary structures have been amazing, lucky to have so many iconic landmarks in one city.

General highlights for me (not just focused on GB) - Simone taking the all around, Yee’s late comeback, Marchaund’s butterfly gold (I think) (seeing him edge closer until he took the lead and with the crowd atmosphere was something special), 100m final, and seeing Duplantis take the WR.

Some absolutely stunning venues. Versailles for equestrian, Grand Palais for fencing and no beach volley ball venue will ever beat the one by the Eiffel tower.

Highlight for me is Duplantis WR in a stadium full of people who stayed just for hum.