2024 Summer Olympics (Paris)

They finally make a couple of shots when the game was over.

Bit of a choke by France there, not going to get many better chances to beat the US than that given their turnovers and poor shooting.

:lol: Hon hon hon. I can't imagine what Williams mind did thinking she hit the shot to tie only to find out it was a two.

What’s this interviewer talking about with this “greatest women’s team ever” crap?

They got beat 117-109 by the WNBA All Stars. The 2 best players in America were left home but Taurasi’s 42 year old self was brought along so she could win her 6th medal.

GUtgJY_XIAABph3

Final Medal tally. United States take it on the last event!

And with that the Americans just pip the Chinese in the medal table. Same number of golds but blow them away on the overall table.

What’s this interviewer talking about with this “greatest women’s team ever” crap?

They got beat 117-109 by the WNBA All Stars. The 2 best players in America were left home but Taurasi’s 42 year old self was brought along so she could win her 6th medal.
Yeah, embarrassing. Leaving Clark home made no sense. Taurasi is too old, and Griner isn’t that good either.

GUtgJY_XIAABph3

Final Medal tally. United States take it on the last event!
Great to see.

Now, in per capita terms:

France and GB: about one medal per 1 million people.

USA: about one medal per 3 millions.

China: about one medal per 15 millions.

This is one thing I think the USWNT and US Womens Basketball team both struggle with. Historically, they've found it very difficult to move on from stars even once the stars stop producing. With the Olympic team, there was some complaining about Alex Morgan being left off the team, but her performances didn't warrant her being included. It was big for Emma Hayes to leave her out. I still don't understand why you include Taurasi insead of a younger, better player. If it's just going to be a bench player, throw in Caitlin Clark for the publicity.

It is worth noting…

Diana Taurasi is now tied with Hungarian fencer Aladar Gerevich for 2nd most Olympic gold medals in a single team event with 6.

The German Isabell Werth is 1st with 7 golds in team dressage

It is worth noting…

Diana Taurasi is now tied with Hungarian fencer Aladar Gerevich for 2nd most Olympic gold medals in a single team event with 6.

The German Isabell Werth is 1st with 7 golds in team dressage
So.. she'll be back in LA28?

This is one thing I think the USWNT and US Womens Basketball team both struggle with. Historically, they've found it very difficult to move on from stars even once the stars stop producing. With the Olympic team, there was some complaining about Alex Morgan being left off the team, but her performances didn't warrant her being included. It was big for Emma Hayes to leave her out. I still don't understand why you include Taurasi insead of a younger, better player. If it's just going to be a bench player, throw in Caitlin Clark for the publicity.
I’m a big Clark fan, and started watching the WNBA because of her. If she were on Team USA in Paris, I would’ve watched pretty much every game. I know that I’m not alone.

But beyond publicity, she’s the best passer in the league and has a lethal three-point shot (albeit she wasn’t shooting particularly well recently, partly due to fatigue). The USA struggled from the 3-point range in this tournament.

Agreed & I think Hayes being brave enough to make that tough decision paid off big for them. Swanson was great in that versatile striker role & scored the winner in the final.

Nice of the other players to hold Taurasi's hand when she stepped up onto the podium. :wenger:

Great to see.

Now, in per capita terms:

France and GB: about one medal per 1 million people.

USA: about one medal per 3 millions.

China: about one medal per 15 millions.
Netherlands have done amazingly well