2024 Summer Olympics (Paris)

Not easy facing multiple gold medal machines, yes it's frustrating we couldn't convert 3 or 4 of those near misses but that's Sport at the elite level

True. I hope the rumours about Labour cutting UK Sport's funding for the next cycle do not come true.

I was surprised to find out that the game was actually invented in Britain. Didn’t really catch on there it seems

£375,000 funding over four years. There is not the money to grow it at present, especially as we are great at shutting municipal swimming pools.

Luyksgestel (3120 citizens) has the same amount of gold medals as Belgium.

It’s interesting how GB’s total number of medals has remained remarkably consistent at 60+ for four games in a row now, while our number of golds has been falling ever since London. We now have a lower golds to total medals ratio than nearly any other country.

Losing stars like the Kennys was always going to leave a big hole, but it’s strange how every sport, apart from maybe rowing, is struggling to develop the next generation of gold medal-winning superstar athletes at the same time, despite still getting loads of funding.

Will we get even fewer golds next time? More golds? About the same number? It seems safe to assume we’ll still get around 60 medals in total, unless the UK Sport funding gets cut

Strange choice for the final event of the olympics. Something special about it being the marathon that closes proceedings. But I understand how logistically it's just impossible to do it any other way.

Strange choice for the final event of the olympics. Something special about it being the marathon that closes proceedings. But I understand how logistically it's just impossible to do it any other way.
I’ve always felt that the games should be opened and closed by 2 of the ancient events that are still contested.

The 3 v 3 shit was better than this, the amount of turnovers has been pitiful.

To be fair it has picked up a little this quarter, shooting has risen to above 30%
I mean… you’re talking about the worst half of basketball the USA women’s team has played in over 30 years. It isn’t the “standard”, it’s an outlier.

I mean… you’re talking about the worst half of basketball the USA women’s team has played in over 30 years. It isn’t the “standard”, it’s an outlier.

It is the standard of this individual game, and that is what my comment was based on.

It was dreadful stuff, but looks as if the US have got their act together or cleaned the vaseline off the ball.

Am I right in saying this game is the final chance for the US to equal China in gold medals? 40-39?

Did a quick check. Seems the Water Polo or Basketball has ended the Olympics in recent times..
  • Tokyo 2020: Men's Water Polo Final
  • Rio 2016: Men's Basketball Final
  • London 2012: Men's Basketball Final
  • Beijing 2008: Men's Water Polo Final
  • Athens 2004: Men's Water Polo Final
  • Sydney 2000: Men's Water Polo Final
Pre 2000 seems to be almost exclusively the marathon as the finale. Shame it still isnt tbh.

Will be amazing if it's the American highjumper who refused to share gold with the NZ dude and lost that costs the U.S.A in the final tally.

WTF was that Steph Curry range shot with 12 secs left on the clock France. They don't really believe they can win this.

France are 6/31 from 3, look for a different shot FFS.

Make that 6/33.

Someone said it with the men's game, but the crowd is doing next to nothing to make this feel intimidating for the USA teams. Just feels like a neutral exhibition from a crowd perspective, not the host nation vs the favourite.

Someone said it with the men's game, but the crowd is doing next to nothing to make this feel intimidating for the USA teams. Just feels like a neutral exhibition from a crowd perspective, not the host nation vs the favourite.
Quite the difference to the handball and volleyball tournaments

USA played smarter this half, both teams shooting like Rashford, but at least the US were driving in and putting pressure on, getting to the line.