2024 Summer Olympics (Paris)

How did this Germany team make the handball final? Looks like they've never played together before.

Overall I cannot help but feel a little disappointed. The target was top 5, and we finished 7th. It is a young squad and 2012, 16 and 21 were very, very successful. In a Games of fine margins we could easily have had at least four more golds.

Not easy facing multiple gold medal machines, yes it's frustrating we couldn't convert 3 or 4 of those near misses but that's Sport at the elite level

Germany really hasn’t had a good Olympics considering their economy and sporting history. And boy are they ending it on a sour note. Denmark is toying with them.

Germany really hasn’t had a good Olympics considering their economy and sporting history. And boy are they ending it on a sour note. Denmark is toying with them.
I don't think we had many athletes that drastically underperformed their expectation. Our sports funding is just shit and poorly organised

Biggest economy in Europe and biggest population: 84 million compared to 67-68 million in France and Great Britain.

Yet, Germany has a total of 32 medals compared to 63/65 for France/GB.

Biggest economy in Europe and biggest population: 84 million compared to 67-68 million in France and Great Britain.

Host will always overperform, can't really compare that. But yeah it's been a poor haul and the comparison to GB shows that

Less medals than Italy and the Netherlands too.

Must be rubbish being a Handball goalie. Seems like the only time they touch the ball is when they're picking it out of the back of the net.
As Dutch handball goalie Tess Wester once famously said to the amusement of everyone in the same room: "You do not want to know how many balls I've had against my chin." Good job for team NL finishing 6th above the British.

GB had the Olympics 2012, France now. Of course they have built structures, which we lack. I don‘t think we will see the Olympics in Germany in the near future, the Bundesbahn will need more time :boring:

GB had the Olympics 2012, France now. Of course they have built structures, which we lack. I don‘t think we will see the Olympics in Germany in the near future, the Bundesbahn will need more time :boring:
Chief of DOSB was openly talking about an application for 2036 or 2040

Not a huge follower of other sports, and I never watch any world championships. But I'm hugely proud of the Netherlands at the Olympics, awesome performance by the athletes. Was a joy to watch.

Hup Holland Hup.

I always feel Spain and Argentina are perennial Olympic underachievers given their stellar sporting pedigree elsewhere. At least with Germany former East Germany was an Olympic powerhouse.

the honest question do the Germans even want the Olympics ? We are some weird people
Good question yeah. He stressed multiple times the point of sustainability and using already existing sport structures and locations like horse stuff in Aachen or Kayak in Leipzig/Augsburg. Would keep the cost down, which might get us Germans on board

I always feel Spain and Argentina are perennial Olympic underachievers given their stellar sporting pedigree elsewhere. At least with Germany former East Germany was an Olympic powerhouse.
But that’s exactly my point. Germany has been a powerhouse (also the West) and that’s why their performance is so disappointing considering their sporting history.
Spain and Argentina have never been much of an Olympics kind of countries. Spain had a bit of a boost after Barcelona 92 but that was that.

We will not talk about why East Germany was an Olympic powerhouse

Not a huge follower of other sports, and I never watch any world championships. But I'm hugely proud of the Netherlands at the Olympics, awesome performance by the athletes. Was a joy to watch.

Hup Holland Hup.
To think what it could have been if the Judokas had shown up and Puck didn't get a punctured tyre.

I was surprised to find out that the game was actually invented in Britain. Didn’t really catch on there it seems
Yeah the sport is pretty much dominated by the Balkans atm, Croatia also being the World Champs

But that’s exactly my point. Germany has been a powerhouse (also the West) and that’s why their performance is so disappointing considering their sporting history.
Spain and Argentina have never been much of an Olympics kind of countries. Spain had a bit of a boost after Barcelona 92 but that was that.
Were we ever really a power house? We're good at multiple team sports, but since I'm alive always lacked in track and fields and swimming. Occasional winners here and there, but nothing dominant

I'm.over here in Paris working at Entertainment for Team Ireland. The buzz around Rhasidat Adeleke is outrageous. I was watching the race last night (in a venue, not the stadium) and the roars were amazing, but when she took the baton the place exploded. It was Olympians and fans watching. The buzz around her is a level above even our gold medalists.

Yeah the sport is pretty much dominated by the Balkans atm, Croatia also being the World Champs
Italy, Hungary, Spain, Greece and the USA too

Italy got robbed big time in the QF against Hungary too, it's a big thing over here. Surprised Spain didn't take gold though, best team in the world right now

Were we ever really a power house? We're good at multiple team sports, but since I'm alive always lacked in track and fields and swimming. Occasional winners here and there, but nothing dominant

48 golds and 142 medals total in 1988. 33 golds and 82 medals Post unification in 1992. Has been a gradual drop off since.

In the 70's & 80's East Germany was definitely up there with regularly coming 2nd overall and with 40+ golds

Talking about the West, and I'm born 89 :D

Don't think there's any mystery why East Germany was up there
Yeah, if we're limiting it to after reunification I'd agree that you've not been consistently near the top, and its been a slow decline in results.

48 golds and 142 medals total in 1988. 33 golds and 82 medals Post unification in 1992. Has been a gradual drop off since.
We had some strong teams; rowing, fencing, throwing competitions, cycling. But other nations simply invested more and we have fallen behind. like hellhunter mentioned the sports funding in Germany is in shambles