2024 Summer Olympics (Paris)

China win their 40th gold. US need to more to equal and go above on the table and they look good to get that and possibly more

65 medals it is for GB then. One more than last time. But Lavreyson’s gold means the Netherlands will finish ahead of GB in the medal table. All their top athletes delivered, to be fair

Emily Campbell winning medals in back to back Olympics while being the only weightlifter from GB is so impressive

Overall I think GB did very well, the team lacked some real superstars but 65 medals is a great haul

China win their 40th gold. US need to more to equal and go above on the table and they look good to get that and possibly more
They need a small miracle in the volleyball against Italy for that to happen now. Not enough medals left in play.

USA will win the basketball for sure and the cycling looks safe as well. They will end up
Level on holds at least and the wrestling will push them over the line

They need a small miracle in the volleyball against Italy for that to happen now. Not enough medals left in play.
Should win the basketball and the cycling omnium. Also a great chance in the women's wrestling.

We are crushing the americans. Absolutely no match so far

Emily Campbell winning medals in back to back Olympics while being the only weightlifter from GB is so impressive

Overall I think GB did very well, the team lacked some real superstars but 65 medals is a great haul

They did and you have to take into account that Netherlands and France had 3 gold medals each from one person in Lavreysen and Marchand

It was Laura Kenny I think - seeing the first gold come early and saying now the sprinters had opened the door, the new squad would unleash their potential. I think she wanted to emphasise the whole "changing of the guard" thing. Plus, Jason Kenny works with the squad as a coach - so she's used to the whole vibes and confidence thing around the competition squads. I think you have to forgive her for exaggeration.

The regulator commentator was much more in the - "well, we're not really favourites in anything" mood, but that's not such a fun headline.
Laura Kenny just now: "Don't let me ever predict anything, ever again. You have to be optimistic for your friends - right."

They did and you have to take into account that Netherlands and France had 3 gold medals each from one person in Lavreysen and Marchand

GB has about 4x the population of The Netherlands though.

Edit: 3.5x

GB has about 4x the population of The Netherlands though.

Edit: 3.5x
You also beat them at rowing and track cycling

Honestly, if you take out the horse prancing GB isn't nearly as impressive in terms of gold medals. Germany even worse

Laura Kenny just now: "Don't let me ever predict anything, ever again. You have to be optimistic for your friends - right."
I think it was obvious even at the time that this is what was happening. Fair enough on her first time round and still being so close to the camp. If she becomes a regular pundit I do hope she becomes a bit more objective though. Athletics coverage is the best for me, despite it not naturally being my favourite bit of the Olympics, partly because the BBC team there (especially Michael Johnson) have such cool heads and add such great analysis.

It was a weird games for Team GB. Overall very healthy on medals, yet emotionally felt quite frustrating/disappointing given how used we are now to being higher on golds. Some bad luck with eg the Katie Archibald injury which could have been another 2-3 golds on its own, but I think the overall model is still working well and hopefully we’ll be strong again in 2028! I’ll be buying lots of lottery tickets in the meantime.

And considering the absolute pittance weightlifting gets for funding.

Overall I cannot help but feel a little disappointed. The target was top 5, and we finished 7th. It is a young squad and 2012, 16 and 21 were very, very successful. In a Games of fine margins we could easily have had at least four more golds.

What the feck, Japan has 7 gold medals in wrestling? And they have the chance to win another soon. They actually have more gold medals than the next 3 countries combined! I did not know that wrestling was a big sport there.
Japan has been good at wrestling for a very long time. They’re 3rd all time in the medal table.

You've got to think the Yanks will plough even more dollar into the next games given they're hosting. Scary.

Very close loss for Blades (US) in the final, Japan win another wrestling gold
Yep. A helluva year for the Japanese.

Solid year for our women’s team. Our men’s team needs to take a look at itself. 4 of the 6 men’s wrestlers train out of the same club at Penn State, which so many thought was great because PSU is dominating college wrestling… well, it didn’t pan out.

Poland with surprising silver in omnium, stills it’s been our worst Olympics since 1956 I think, just one gold is disgrace and I hope there will be big movements after this disappointment

Serbia leading against Croatia 9-6 in the Water Polo finals so far. Going for their 3rd consecutive Gold