2024 Summer Olympics (Paris)

Last of the women's marathon runners has now finished. An hour behind the next to last and with a hard fought personal best. Kinzang Lhamo of Bhutan. The other stragglers dropped out as the temperature rose on the course, but she stuck at it and some of the spectators jogged sections along the side of the road to encourage her. She finished in 3 hours 53 minutes.

Apparently in Bhutan she'd normally compete in ultra-marathons so the marathon is not really her favourite event. Explains where the resilience comes from though.

How come Li the last one to come out to lift? Didn’t even spot her on the scoresheet until now.

How the feck did anybody predict 8 gold medals for GB on track out of 12 events?!?!? Like, other than Finucane, GB didn't bring a single rider here who'd be favoured to take gold?

How the feck did anybody predict 8 gold medals for GB on track out of 12 events?!?!? Like, other than Finucane, GB didn't bring a single rider here who'd be favoured to take gold?
Yeah, it was just really dumb, biased commentary. I get that if you’re still very close to the camp you want to hype them up but I think it’s backfired, as it now makes it look like they’ve massively underperformed, whereas the reality is we were never going to hit previous heights.

The modern pentathlon ended up being a massive disappointment for us as well. We looked so strong in the semi yesterday, then our more experienced athlete has to pull out unwell and our other can’t get anywhere near that level. Shame we don’t get that last high.

With the keirin final coming up here’s another chance to look at this superb ride from Jason Kenny the defending champion in Tokyo

It was Laura Kenny I think - seeing the first gold come early and saying now the sprinters had opened the door, the new squad would unleash their potential. I think she wanted to emphasise the whole "changing of the guard" thing. Plus, Jason Kenny works with the squad as a coach - so she's used to the whole vibes and confidence thing around the competition squads. I think you have to forgive her for exaggeration.

The regulator commentator was much more in the - "well, we're not really favourites in anything" mood, but that's not such a fun headline.

What the feck, Japan has 7 gold medals in wrestling? And they have the chance to win another soon. They actually have more gold medals than the next 3 countries combined! I did not know that wrestling was a big sport there.

Finucane finishes with 1 gold & 2 bronze medals which is amazing for a 21 year old but I think she will be slightly disappointed overall

Finucane is going to be a real talent going forward. This is her learning Olympics, and will be 25 at the next one.

What the feck, Japan has 7 gold medals in wrestling? And they have the chance to win another soon. They actually have more gold medals than the next 3 countries combined! I did not know that wrestling was a big sport there.
Was mentioned earlier in the thread, they're the third most successful country in terms of Olympics medals historically

Was mentioned earlier in the thread, they're the third most successful country in terms of Olympics medals historically

In wrestling or overall? The latter doesn't surprise me. Japan is good at many sports and I believe they finished 3rd in the last Olympics (albeit on their home turf).

I feel like Finucane could have beaten Friedrich. She put up more of a fight against Andrews in the semi

Finucane finishes with 1 gold & 2 bronze medals which is amazing for a 21 year old but I think she will be slightly disappointed overall

Andrews was completely unbeatable in the two events though. Finucane looked the second best sprinter to me - just didn’t get the luck of the draw.

In wrestling or overall? The latter doesn't surprise me. Japan is good at many sports and I believe they finished 3rd in the last Olympics (albeit on their home turf).
Yes, sorry, just in wrestling. I think @JPRouve mentioned this. They're only behind US and Soviets. Not sure what's the tally after this Olympics.

Agree Finucane had a really good Olympics overall. She wasn’t helped by an unrealistic level of hype but hopefully she has plenty more Olympics in her.

That was medal 64 for GB, and Campbell should be 65 in the weightlifting. Carlin could make it 66, which would be one short of our best total (not counting 1908)

@Carolina Red's boys took a hell of a beating. Haven't China been restricted in terms of how many athletes they have as well?

We won the first set of a game I'm too emotionally invested to watch :wenger:

See in the men’s keirin final there were two Aussies and there was a clear plan in place to make sure they were ending up with silver at least but potentially two medals. In the women’s keirin final there were two Brits but had no clear plan and ended up with just a bronze