2024 Summer Olympics (Paris)

@JPRouve is gold in the 102+kg a foregone conclusion again?

Also I just saw that Nasar was only 2kg short of the winner in the 102kg category

Gonna have to see those split times, that was an insane effort from Tebogo and Botswana.

At least he won silver as a red blooded American rather than sharing gold like a pinko commie European :lol:

So after this woman’s 4x400 it could be 37-37 for golds between the US and China? (If the US win of course). What is the medal outlook for both for the rest of the evening?

Imagine if USA lose the medal count to China by one gold now

Honestly, don't get how China are even up there given their total lack of showing on the Athletics table.... did they just give up on track and field with Liu Xiang injury in Beijing breaking all hearts?

@JPRouve is gold in the 102+kg a foregone conclusion again?

Also I just saw that Nasar was only 2kg short of the winner in the 102kg category

If Talakhadze doesn't win then it's the biggest upset ever. And Liu Huanhu is naturally a 89kg lifter both Nasar and Gigachad could or should be in the same category but China made the later go to an heavier category to give room for Tian Tao and Li Dayin.

I guess we will have to console ourselves with our 30ish more medals

(I’ve never understood why any position in the medal table is based on golds and not total medals)
Quite simple really - do you think a country with 0 golds and 20 bronzes should rank higher than a country with 19 golds and 0 bronzes?

An argument could be made for a points system though, but tbf there isn't an official medal competition between countries at the Olympics anyway.

BBS saying Hudson Smith ran 43 seconds dead. Only Johnson ran faster.

Didn’t see it live but if true, that’s nippy.

Come on the women (no euphemism)

That's an insane time and it certainly didn't look like it as he didn't make up ground it seems, but obviously the camera isn't showing the gap he's generated to guarantee third, which I think he did without the France and others fumbling at the end.

He's got quite a funky style too, yet seems so smooth despite that. Very Johnson-esque.

Quite simple really - do you think a country with 0 golds and 20 bronzes should rank higher than a country with 19 golds and 0 bronzes?

An argument could be made for a points system though, but tbf there isn't an official medal competition between countries at the Olympics anyway.
Should a country with 1 gold and 0 silver rank higher than a country with 0 gold and 100 silvers?

The argument to absurdity can work both ways..

I guess we will have to console ourselves with our 30ish more medals

(I’ve never understood why any position in the medal table is based on golds and not total medals)

If what I heard today is correct. During one of the Olympics China had more medals and the USA said that gold medals should be the real barometer.