2024 Summer Olympics (Paris)

Six second gap or thereabouts. So close in the end. Made Thiam work for it.

KJT ran well in this one, but lost the gold in the morning.

Yeah she definitely lost it on Long Jump which is generally one of her strongest events. That is gonna be her last Olympics you can just tell from the interview. Shame she only really got one proper go at Olympics but that's sport I guess

Yes but if you look at it like this.... why not just go the same for Thiam? .... leads to the same outcome, because you know, she is the better heptathlete. Sure KJT could have won.... but Thiam could have also scored vastly better.
My original point was that Thiam wasn’t vastly better than KJT over the two days, and a slightly better performance in the 200m (as well as the long jump), which she was well capable of, would have been enough to swing it for her, all other things being equal. This is a pretty uncontroversial thing to say. Just as it wouldn’t be controversial to say Thiam could have won by a bigger margin.

At the end of the day, 36 points is a pretty narrow margin of victory. Thiam won by over 100 points last time. Ennis-Hill won by over 300 points in 2012. In fact the only closer Olympic heptathlon since the 80s was when Thiam beat Ennis-Hill by just 35 points in 2016.

OT between France and Belgium...

Meesseman is the best female basketball player in the entire world.

Handball…how does the clock not stop when the defence fouls near the end. Surely that’s a massive advantage when you’re winning to waste time. The end of that game seemed very bullshit.

Algerian girl destroying the Chinese one in the boxing, very impressive.

Handball…how does the clock not stop when the defence fouls near the end. Surely that’s a massive advantage when you’re winning to waste time. The end of that game seemed very bullshit.
Clock doesn't stop for regular fouls (unless there is a 2 min suspension, injury or the floor needs wiping) or they'd be playing all night. Would become like basketball where the trailing team keeps fouling to stop the clock.

Breaking has been awesome. They really need to make it a permanent sport as it's so much more interesting than a lot of "sports" like shooting ones or table tennis.

My original point was that Thiam wasn’t vastly better than KJT over the two days, and a slightly better performance in the 200m (as well as the long jump), which she was well capable of, would have been enough to swing it for her, all other things being equal. This is a pretty uncontroversial thing to say. Just as it wouldn’t be controversial to say Thiam could have won by a bigger margin.

At the end of the day, 36 points is a pretty narrow margin of victory. Thiam won by over 100 points last time. Ennis-Hill won by over 300 points in 2012. In fact the only closer Olympic heptathlon since the 80s was when Thiam beat Ennis-Hill by just 35 points in 2016.

Yeah those two events are usually her big scoring ones but just couldn't find her best in either when she most needed it unfortunately

Trashtalk scenes in the womens beachvolleyball final cheered me up. Ref looked absolutely lost in between them haha

Crazy random fact:
Alexandra Burghart, German sprinter who won the Bronze today with the 4x100 relay, has also won a Silver medal at last Winter Olympics 2022 in the Bobsleigh. Back to back medals in Winter and Summer Olympic games, probably hasn't happened a lot. Some real Cool Runnings stuff.

The Brazilian women volleyball outfit is significantly different from the Canadians...:o

It's an outrage! Brazil, the country that invented thick thighs and fun, resorting to this?!

But honestly, I wonder if it's advantageous to wear less clothes when playing on sand? :nervous:

Crazy random fact:
Alexandra Burghart, German sprinter who won the Bronze today with the 4x100 relay, has also won a Silver medal at last Winter Olympics 2022 in the Bobsleigh. Back to back medals in Winter and Summer Olympic games, probably hasn't happened a lot. Some real Cool Runnings stuff.

That’s mad. I knew that bobsleigh teams often recruit elite sprinters but a winter/summer medal combo is crazy.

Discovered another crazy random fact today. When Leonardo won the speed climbing gold it was Indonesia’s (population 200 million!) 9th ever Olympic gold. And the only time they’ve won a gold medal that wasn’t in the same sport. Badminton.

Crazy random fact:

'Nuff people say they know they can't believe
Burghart was in the bobsleigh team.

Crazy random fact:
One of the best cross sports ever: Eddie Eagan. Winning both gold in Boxing and Bobsleighing.

Clock doesn't stop for regular fouls (unless there is a 2 min suspension, injury or the floor needs wiping) or they'd be playing all night. Would become like basketball where the trailing team keeps fouling to stop the clock.
I’m sure there’s good reason for it, but as a layman watching, it doesn’t sit right that a defending team with a lead can commit multiple soft fouls and burn a couple of minutes off the clock fairly comfortably.

Close game in that Belgium/France basketball semi-final. Gah. Thought Belgium had it. Missing those free throws in normal time came back to bite them. Only needed one to win the game!

[
Just to note that Kerr didn’t screw up. Nothing different he could really have done. Hardly his fault Jakob left a huge gap on the inside which wouldn’t have been there if Kerr had tried the undercut.

As a Brit, I have to say I like his attitude. Too often over the years our athletes have been meek and failed to deliver on the big stage. He says he thinks he’s the best and backs it up in the big events. A NR - faster than Coe, Ovett and Farah is nothing to be sniffed at.

I also think both he and Jakob gave really good interviews straight after. Jakob accepting that he’d messed up and Kerr being delighted with his silver, despite feeling he could have won the gold.

Hocker winning was a wonderful story but the Jakob/Kerr rivalry brought a massive amount to that race. These big battles between evenly matched competitors, particularly with a bit of an edge, are one part that makes athletics great.

Meh. As someone with no dog in the fight - being neither a Noggie nor a Brit - I think the pair of them came across as dickheads before the race and both let themselves down during it. They were red hot favourites for gold, so allowing someone else to win is a definite failure. More so for Kerr, who’s at an age where this might have been his last meaningful chance of a gold. Coming second is not “delivering on the big stage”. Coming first would have been.

Although I do agree that they both came across much better in the post race interviews.

Last edited:
That cycling event where they all crawl round as slow as possible until the last lap is the dumbest event at the Olympics.

Also that other one where it's about 100 laps long and you get points based on your position after every 10 laps, and more points if you lap people, so there ends up being a big group of cyclists but some are a lap ahead, some a lap behind etc.

Much less stupid but whoevers job it is to try and keep track of whatever the feck is going on during the race probably deserves a medal more than any of the athletes.

I can't imagine doing this in public, let alone at a globally broadcast event. Big "Praise You" vibes from Raygun. How bad were the people she beat to make the Olympics? :lol:

Have Japan won about 5 golds today or did I miss them being 4th in the medal table?