2024 Summer Olympics (Paris)

Shows what I know I thought the girl in the black bandanna was better in the break dancing apparently not :lol:

Ami of Japan beats Nicka in the Break final. The commentator seems to understand why - I preferred Nicka's routines but I'll take the commentator's word for it making sense I guess :lol:

Sakurai with a comfortable win. The 4th gold medalist for Japan in Wrestling.

Anyone think they should double the number of hurdles in the 400m hurdles?

Yeah, agreed. Olympics is supposed to be an amateur ethos so the less we see of all the ugly side of professionalism the better. One of the (many!) really cool things about climbing is the way they all read the lead route together. Climbers from different countries who are the same height chatting away together, working out the best way up the wall. Have no idea why the feck anyone would want this replaced with trash talking wankers, putting each other down. Which is, in a way, why the men’s 1500m was one of my Olympic highlights.
I’m no longer 20 to be impressed by trash talkers and big mouth lads, for me the Olympic spirit is very refreshing and also reminds you the sports way back in the day was in a large part about fair play and culture, it’s a rare thing to celebrate decency in the era of polarization and constant bullshiting. Don’t think it’s an amateur ethos though - Biles has won her fair share so obviously it was easier for her, but her grace in defeat to Brazilian, in one of the events was very moving and impressive.

It’s pointless looking at it like that. KJT’s 200m PB time was in 2016, aged 23. She hasn’t got anywhere near that time since her serious injury a few years ago. Same with long jump and hurdles really - she’s clearly not going to do 6.9 or 13.0 now.

She set new PBs at shot putt and 800m and was better or relatively close to her scores from the worlds last year in every other event. It’s her second best ever score so far as I can see at age 31, despite the obvious slight loss of top sprinting speed mentioned above.
It’s not pointless at all. She got 23.20 in the 200m in the UK Athletics Championships just 2 months ago. If she’d matched that it would have been an extra 24 points - that would have meant being just 12 points behind Thiam. It was a disappointing 200m time, there’s no getting away from that.

So it’s absurd to think she had no chance at all of beating Thiam. That’s an insult to her, frankly.

Cuban matter really - all three medalists were former Cubans. They must have had some triple jump programme in the 2010s!
Really? Fecking hell, I really feel for Cuban sportsmen that have to change nationality in order to perform on the biggest stage, as they would be banned otherwise. This is no thread for politics, but these are some of the best and most kind hearted people I met, both in Cuba and in Europe, and immensely talented in sports. At least they still have the wrestling GOAT.

Warholm’s lost a second of pace over the last year or so.

Two trash talking gowls were hot favourites but got so obsessed with stopping each other winning that they both screwed up and another lad took gold.

Just to note that Kerr didn’t screw up. Nothing different he could really have done. Hardly his fault Jakob left a huge gap on the inside which wouldn’t have been there if Kerr had tried the undercut.

As a Brit, I have to say I like his attitude. Too often over the years our athletes have been meek and failed to deliver on the big stage. He says he thinks he’s the best and backs it up in the big events. A NR - faster than Coe, Ovett and Farah is nothing to be sniffed at.

I also think both he and Jakob gave really good interviews straight after. Jakob accepting that he’d messed up and Kerr being delighted with his silver, despite feeling he could have won the gold.

Hocker winning was a wonderful story but the Jakob/Kerr rivalry brought a massive amount to that race. These big battles between evenly matched competitors, particularly with a bit of an edge, are one part that makes athletics great.

It’s not pointless at all. She got 23.20 in the 200m in the UK Athletics Championships just 2 months ago. If she’d matched that it would have been an extra 24 points - that would have meant being just 12 points behind Thiam. It was a disappointing 200m time, there’s no getting away from that.

So it’s absurd to think she had no chance at all of beating Thiam. That’s an insult to her, frankly.

Yes but if you look at it like this.... why not just go the same for Thiam? .... leads to the same outcome, because you know, she is the better heptathlete. Sure KJT could have won.... but Thiam could have also scored vastly better.

Just to note that Kerr didn’t screw up. Nothing different he could really have done. Hardly his fault Jakob left a huge gap on the inside which wouldn’t have been there if Kerr had tried the undercut.

Agree with this. Kerr ran his race naturally really and PB'd.

Of course she had a chance of beating Thiam. It was very close but both of them could easily say there were a few points that they could have picked up either way and, ultimately, Thiam’s big advantage in the throws does mean she will win more often than not H2H.

I am also not convinced that 23.2 as a one-off run is too much out of line with a 23.4 after already doing three events that day. Sure she can look back and say “what if” on a couple of events but she also would have been nowhere near but for a third time clearance in the high jump, a last gasp huge PB in the shot putt and a final clutch long jump to improve 30cm. I don’t think Thiam had any event where she required a Hail Mary at the end.

When will be our turn to be top of a podium looking down on the other relay teams. Richardson sneering at our athlete got up my nose

we've got football for that, let's cherish the rare moments of Olympic spirit. Opponents cheered on Duplantis when he went for the WR, you see it quite often here, it's very cool and beautiful that Olympics are full of such moments
Olympics are just refreshing to watch when you follow football, dreading the trip to Webley tomorrow as I know it all starts again for another 10 months.

As for the actual Olympians I have always thought they're underrated for what they do, they're actual winners and elite in what they do they but it seems like this country has tunnel vision for footballers who let's face have feck all since 66.