2024 Summer Olympics (Paris)

And Thiam leads by 121 points now. Feels like it would take a problem for Thiam for KJT to win this.
6 seconds between their personal bests so it seems unlikely. Given she’s produced seasons bests in a few of the events, I’m not sure KJT could do much more than she has. She always seems to have so many injuries leading up to the big tournaments, but I guess it’s quite a brutal sport. You need to be such an athlete to do it.

It’s so close between GB and France on the medal table now. Beating the neighbours at their home Olympics would certainly go a long way to making up for some of the disappointments these last 2 weeks
Yeah but what other gold medal claims does GB realistically have? France has a few teams sports finals, I feel they'll pick up a couple more gold medals at least.

I never knew Sweden was such a table tennis powerhouse. 2-2 in games against heavily favoured China in teams men final right now - fun to watch

Last edited:
Yeah but what other gold medal claims does GB realistically have? France has a few teams sports finals, I feel they'll pick up a couple more gold medals at least.

There's a few possibles I guess, but nothing where we're heavy favourites. Cycling, relays and KJT come to mind.

6 seconds between their personal bests so it seems unlikely. Given she’s produced seasons bests in a few of the events, I’m not sure KJT could do much more than she has. She always seems to have so many injuries leading up to the big tournaments, but I guess it’s quite a brutal sport. You need to be such an athlete to do it.

She will kick herself for not running a faster time in 200m last night, also the Long Jump wasn't great either. Will feel awful her best events have ironically cost her. Having said all that at least she will finally win Olympic medal just not the one she wanted.

At the risk of sounding like a boomer, this breakdancing looks a bit silly. I can see the skill and artistry involved, but I just don’t see how it’s a sport. (Before anyone asks, I feel the same way about ice dance at the Winter Olympics).

Any discipline that relies on judges’ opinions is a bit of a grey area, but for me, gymnastics, diving and figure skating are on the sport side, while ice dance, ballroom dancing and breakdancing are on the non-sport side.

Diving at the olympics has 8 competitions, since 2008 China has always won 7 of them, taking the silver in just one event each Olympics. They are now at 7/7 with 10m men platform to go, looks like they will finally get their full sweep. Some domination that

Emile Cairess in the marathon. :+1::+1::+1:

I actually think he might pinch bronze but Lemma or Benson Kipruto will win.

At the risk of sounding like a boomer, this breakdancing looks a bit silly. I can see the skill and artistry involved, but I just don’t see how it’s a sport. (Before anyone asks, I feel the same way about ice dance at the Winter Olympics)
ok boomer, that why there are exciting sports like sailing, golf or 50km walk for you. something for everyone

Save this break dancing shit for the half time entertainment, it ain’t a sport.

I'm struggling to get the breaking but maybe I'm too old :lol:

They also seem to be competing under their dancer name rather than their actual name

The guys running the breaking competition are having a blast, so is the audience. It's really funny I think

and the Japanese girls is the first impressive entrant today

I'm just joking, watching it now and I admit it's really silly :lol: and some of the girls performing tonight don't even look so impressive at this. but at least it's fun and something different, surely not boring.
My issue isn’t that it’s new (if you think something from the 1970s is new). I think things like BMX, skateboarding, snowboarding, sport climbing being added to the Olympics has been great, and I’d gladly see boring stuff like dressage, race walking dumped so we could get more new events.

My problem with breakdancing is that it simply isn’t a sport.

The girl in the burgundy trousers routine looked pretty good in my inexpert opinion?!

Why are they spending half the time mincing about surely you'd dance for as much of the time as possible?

I'd rather this than dressage though

Are the men better?

My issue isn’t that it’s new (if you think something from the 1970s is new). I think things like BMX, skateboarding, snowboarding, sport climbing being added to the Olympics has been great, and I’d gladly see boring stuff like dressage, race walking dumped so we could get more new events.

My problem with breakdancing is that it simply isn’t a sport.
Dancing is a sport. There's competition for many different categories why should this be excluded?

Women's football bronze medal match underway. Germany get a 63rd minute penalty and are now beating Spain 1-0. One of those mad moments when you don't know why the keeper did it. High ball coming in, Spanish keeper pushes the attacker instead of jumping for the ball. Just hmmm.

Incidentally, the crowd very sensibly are almost entirely on the shady side of the stadium - whether they planned that I don't know, but well done them :lol:

Surprised China don't have more competitors in this, as there's some gymnastic element to it

Dancing is a sport. There's competition for many different categories why should this be excluded?
It’s an art, not a sport. It’s far too reliant on judges’ subjective opinions to decide a winner. If you have dance, why not other art forms like singing, acting, painting? All those require high levels of skill too. Maybe they should bring back town planning as an Olympic event too?

Wish they wore the colour they're shown as having on the caption so it was easier to remember which was which

Guessing Japan are the country to beat?

First time watching breakdance, is it like a 1on1 battle with them taking turns and a jury decides?

It’s an art, not a sport. It’s far too reliant on judges’ subjective opinions to decide a winner. If you have dance, why not other art forms like singing, acting, painting? All those require high levels of skill too. Maybe they should bring back town planning as an Olympic event too?
Because it's very physical when compared to the examples you mentioned?

It requires a specific skill set and training. Can you do it at their level? I can't so I applaud them and their dedication.
I won’t doubt that there’s still required but where do you draw the line? Tap dancing requires a skill but it still doesn’t make it a sport.