2024 Summer Olympics (Paris)

Madison is a strange beast - you wonder why they're not crashing into each other as some of the handovers take place. And now we're off on another sprint.

Spain leading France 3-1 after half an hour in the men's football final.

Madison is a strange beast - you wonder why they're not crashing into each other as some of the handovers take place. And now we're off on another sprint.

It's so confusing but interesting to watch, impressed there's not more crashes as there's people all over the place

Didn't mean to come across as argumentative, it's nice having someone who actually knows about weightlifting around.

No problem. Everyone knows that Nasar is going to be very difficult to beat but an in form Li Dayin is also a monster. The issue being that he apparently struggle to gain or lose weight which puts him in a tough spot with the current Olympics weightclasses.

Anyway between Nasar and Liu Huanhua the discipline has two exciting prospects.

Absolute choke job by Dake here

He’s done this multiple times in his freestyle career and I don’t understand it. It’s like a mental block in the semis that he didn’t develop until he was out of college
Feel really bad - he looked so good too. I don’t think he took this one seriously enough

@Carolina Red

How was the japanese able to targets Bate's right leg that easily?
I'm telling you, he's choked here. It's not the first time it's happened in his freestyle career either.

You can tell he's doing it too by stuff exactly like that... he will come out and look like a completely different person & guys will be getting so deep in on his leg when it literally never happens any other time. Happened with Sidakov in the gold medal match at 2023 worlds, happened in the quarters at the 2020 Olympics, happened back in 2017 when Burroughs beat him at the world team trials.

Feel really bad - he looked so good too. I don’t think he took this one seriously enough

The japanese was good, his defense was solid and he seemingly had a solid gameplan that he executed perfectly.

It's some kind of weird mental block with him that I thought he'd might get past now that he's training with the Nittany Lion club that produced David Taylor, but I guess not.

That's the first loss we've had where I've been just completely left with a "wtf" feeling

I'm now thoroughly confused by the sprint points v lap points calculation. I understand the scoring system but not the tactical battle that it leads to :lol:

I'm telling you, he's choked here. It's not the first time it's happened in his freestyle career either.

You can tell he's doing it too by stuff exactly like that... he will come out and look like a completely different person & guys will be getting so deep in on his leg when it literally never happens any other time. Happened with Sidakov in the gold medal match at 2023 worlds, happened in the quarters at the 2020 Olympics, happened back in 2017 when Burroughs beat him at the world team trials.

That's a shame. On a similar topic, whenever I watch wrestling at the Olympics, I can't help but marvel at the technical level of Lopez compared to everyone else(this year Elor gave me the same impression), it's as if there is no flaw to their wrestling.

So tactics in this look to be to lap the field, because that's where the big points are?
Yeah, you gain 20 points for lapping the field and very likely you win a sprint as well as during your attack you'll probably win a sprint. It basically like winning 4 unanswered sprints and a competed sprint. I think its tough to win a Maddison without doing it, and impossible if another team does it.

Last edited:
So frustrating that Netherlands, Italy and Belgium have all gone and we've been caught napping 3 times. The GB pair desperately need to gain a lap at some point, the tourble is the Dutch and Italians will almost certainly cover it.

That's a shame. On a similar topic, whenever I watch wrestling at the Olympics, I can't help but marvel at the technical level of Lopez compared to everyone else(this year Elor gave me the same impression), it's as if there is no flaw to their wrestling.
Yes it’s truly a thing of beauty when you can just tell that a person just can’t be put into a bad position by another person. And they’re both at completely different ends of their careers, which makes it even more special.

Elor shouldn’t be that good this young. Lopez shouldn’t be that good this old.

Surely the GB team need to try to lap the field now if they're to get anything? I'm not seeing it.

Surely the GB team need to try to lap the field now if they're to get anything? I'm not seeing it.
They're trying now. The good thing is the trailing teams have not much motivation to keep ahead.

We've got to go for the lap I think but the guy tried too late yesterday when the pace had been upped too much

You have to say its poor from the Netherlands, to only get 28 points having gained a lap and won a sprint on the way, so 25 points from that 1 move, is pretty bad. They get the bronze, but they were huge favourites for gold.

Italy win, GB silver, Netherlands bronze.

You have to say its poor from the Netherlands, to only get 28 points having gained a lap and won a sprint on the way, so 25 points from that 1 move, is pretty bad. They get the bronze, but they were huge favourites for gold.
That was strange to see. The commentators were saying they maybe moved too early because it was going to be hard for them to pick up more sprinting points. I'm just amazed anyone can keep tabs on the score.

It's amazing how these guys are 125kgs but don't look like it. Also the ref, Ligay, is also massive.