2024 Summer Olympics (Paris)

The young GB climber, the Japanese guy and the American are all quality climbers. Surprisingly epic to watch.

The young GB climber, the Japanese guy and the American are all quality climbers. Surprisingly epic to watch.
Yeah it's a lot of fun.

It's also funny to watch it with French commentary, with them hyping up Jenft to annoying levels and him not doing so well. :)

The Japanese guy is actually a year younger than the Brit!

Clearly a young man's sport this. And that is gonna be my excuse as I keep struggling with V2 problems :lol:

Clearly a young man's sport this. And that is gonna be my excuse as I keep struggling with V2 problems :lol:

Holy shit fair!

Haha yeah I’m sitting here thinking how I’d go about it as if I’d even be able to hold on to the start.

G’way with your excuses! I took it up aged 40 and I’ve sent V5 outdoors. But yeah, this whole comp thing is all about the kids. So many phenoms.

G’way with your excuses! I took it up aged 40 and I’ve sent V5 outdoors. But yeah, this whole comp thing is all about the kids. So many phenoms.

Woah, that's impressive! How long did it take you get there? I've only gone bouldering 5 or 6 times so I'm still in the clumsy beginner stage where I can't use my legs and pretty much drag myself up the wall.

Is just over 45m in the javelin ok for KJT? No idea and her rival is in the other pool.
Anna Hall is easy on the eye.

Woah, that's impressive! How long did it take you get there? I've only gone bouldering 5 or 6 times so I'm still in the clumsy beginner stage where I can't use my legs and pretty much drag myself up the wall.

It took me a long time! Several years climbing 2 or 3 times/week. Also did really boring specific training before the outdoors trip (to Fontainebleau) Loads of fingerboarding and campus boarding. I had set myself a goal to climb V5 outdoors. Chilled out a bit since then. Would still be climbing that grade indoors but reckon I would be a grade or two lower on real rock.

Barring a total collapse from all 3 in the lead climbing, it's gonna be Anraku, Roberts or Duffy. Aged 17, 19 and 20!

Is just over 45m in the javelin ok for KJT? No idea and her rival is in the other pool.
It was a season’s best and just 65cm off her pb, so pretty good yeah. KJT is a much faster 800m runner so Thiam will need to throw well into the 50s to give her a big enough cushion going into the last event.

What a great addition climbing is to the Olympics, fantastic sport in general & great to watch as well

It was a season’s best and just 65cm off her pb, so pretty good yeah
Yeah that's pretty good. Her technique doesn't look great with that slow run up, but only seen one beat her so far.

From what little I know, it's her personal best this season and not far off her PB which is a decent result. In terms of the head to head with Thiam I think it only qualifies as a not bad. Thiam will expect to come out of this event ahead - but of course that comes with an if.

KJT may have made it close enough to make the 800m matter.

From what little I know, it's her personal best this season and not far off her PB which is a decent result. In terms of the head to head with Thiam I think it only qualifies as a not bad. Thiam will expect to come out of this event ahead - but of course that comes with an if.

KJT may have made it close enough to make the 800m matter.
Feels like it might end up yet another near miss silver, but hopefully the 800m is exciting.

No problem. Thank you for the interest in the sport!

He’s so good. I’ve taught his underhook series for years to my guys. Amazing stuff
Yazdani is one of our heros. He always delivers when it matters. Hope he wins today. Our guy has a tough match coming up against your guy!

Think if thiam goes under 55 in the javelin then KJT has a great chance, anything over 55 & Thiam is favourite
54m would give her around a 100 points cushion against KJT. I believe that means she can allow herself to run 5" slower than KJT in the 800m.

Will be very small margins either way, but at least Thiam now knows that she'll need to put a in a monster performances at the javelin. 55m very unlikely though imo, I'd give her 53-something. She threw exactly 53m in Rome earlier this year when she had better performances on high/long jump and hurdles, so not even that is a certainty.

54m would give her around a 100 points cushion against KJT. I believe that means she can allow herself to run 5" slower than KJT in the 800m.

Will be very small margins either way, but at least Thiam now knows that she'll need to put a in a monster performances at the javelin. 55m very unlikely though imo, I'd give her 53-something. She threw exactly 53m in Rome earlier this year when she had better performances on high/long jump and hurdles, so not even that is a certainty.
She just did 54m. Would mean she could lose +/- 8 seconds.

Let's goooo Nafi!

800m PBs

KJT - 2:05.63 - Score 1064

Thiam - 2:11.79 - Score 961

Yazdani is one of our heros. He always delivers when it matters. Hope he wins today. Our guy has a tough match coming up against your guy!
Truly one of the greats. I hope Yazdani wins it. He’s a been great ambassador for the sport. It honestly makes me mad that Brooks basically trained specifically to beat Taylor & then comes to Paris and craps out in the semis. We’d be having a final Taylor / Yazdani matchup for gold otherwise.

Yes - Dake is a very unique matchup. He can be offensive and score if he has to, but his defense is on another level & he can usually force guys into bad positions and capitalize.

Truly one of the greats. I hope Yazdani wins it. He’s a been great ambassador for the sport. It honestly makes me mad that Brooks basically trained specifically to beat Taylor & then comes to Paris and craps out in the semis. We’d be having a final Taylor / Yazdani matchup for gold otherwise.

Yes - Dake is a very unique matchup. He can be offensive and score if he has to, but his defense is on another level & he can usually force guys into bad positions and capitalize.
All the best with Dake. Also Zareh is doing really well and looking good. Into semi later this aft.

Watching the climbing no idea what's going on although guessing it's get as high as you can?

Does the British guy have a chance of a medal still? Think he got to 60 points so at risk from those who can get to 100 points

It's good to watch, much better than poxy dressage

What medal is KJT currently likely to get if both her and nearest rival perform to form?