2024 Summer Olympics (Paris)

Slipped off the saddle. :eek:
british cycling now look rather foolish, ignoring my advice to replace potentially slippery saddles with “6 inch upright rubber shafts.”

Seriously @Red Star One I hate your friend :lol:

We should have sent Juantorena on a mission to Cuba with a couple Italian lasses :(
he got 25 points today :lol:

It’s quite a romantic story though - in high school my friend ran a small online blog about sports and asked a girl from his class, who was obsessed about volleyball, to write for them. One day they decided to try to get an online interview with a very promising teenager from Cuba, Leon surprisingly agreed, talked with the girl over Skype and it clicked between them so much that they met in person next year, he fled Cuba for good and the rest is history :angel:

he got 25 points today :lol:

It’s quite a romantic story though - in high school my friend ran a small online blog about sports and asked a girl from his class, who was obsessed about volleyball, to write for them. One day they decided to try to get an online interview with a very promising teenager from Cuba, Leon surprisingly agreed, talked with the girl over Skype and it clicked between them so much that they met in person next year, he fled Cuba for good and the rest is history :angel:
So you're saying she preyed on a teenager :eek: somebody should look into this!

So you're saying she preyed on a teenager :eek: somebody should look into this!

My reaction was. So that's how we get a polish bride? I need to look into this.

Holloway leagues ahead of competition in 110m hurdles semi. Silver medalist from Tokyo, he’ll take the gold this year

gotta love having Olympics in your timezone and in such a lovely atmosphere and views as Paris. morning till evening I'm watching sports I know shit about and occasionally get even more hyped for the ones I like. It's better than the World Cup or Euros, really.

Wow, GB turned on the rocket boosters for the last 3 laps to get the bronze there. Went from a second behind to a second ahead.

gotta love having Olympics in your timezone and in such a lovely atmosphere and views as Paris. morning till evening I'm watching sports I know shit about and occasionally get even more hyped for the ones I like. It's better than the World Cup or Euros, really.

Isn't it just, been watching it pretty much all day it's great

women's pole vault final seems so open and without major favourites - there's so many participants it's going to last forever. Katie Moon the defending champion from Tokyo will hope to retain the title, but really anyone could win it, it seems. Looks like an average generation of athletes to be honest - long gone are the days of Isinbayeva (she loved the Russian dopers and doping, we need to remember this) at 5.06m, no way we get close to 4.90 tonight

Trying to find something to watch. Cannot believe there are still cycling events going on. Surely the only sport to start on day one and never stop?! Bonkers that a sport so heavily reliant on expensive equipment gets this many medals.

It’s also one of the very few expensive sports where various funds and charities exist to support young talented budding riders with equipment and cost of living.

It’s also one of the very few expensive sports where various funds and charities exist to support young talented budding riders with equipment and cost of living.

Bit of a chicken and egg scenario, no? Don’t see how someone becomes a “young talented budding rider” without dropping a few grand on a bike.

Anyhoo. Takes all sorts. I don’t want to shit on anyone else’s hobbies. I fully support cycling being in the Olympics. I just think it gets way too many medals. Just checked and there are TWENTY TWO cycling events. That’s nuts.

Working from home has been a blast indeed.

Working from home has been a blast indeed.
There's never been a better setting - me in front of my laptop doing some bullshit work, in front of me a TV and there's a Korean fattie vs American hillbilly in an epic archery duel decided by fecking millimetres, not to mention Paris architecture and Dôme des Invalides I believe in the background. Followed by shooting battles featuring a cyborg Korean beauty and a former Turkish policeman with a cigarette in his mouth. Savour the moment.

Bit of a chicken and egg scenario, no? Don’t see how someone becomes a “young talented budding rider” without dropping a few grand on a bike.

Anyhoo. Takes all sorts. I don’t want to shit on anyone else’s hobbies. I fully support cycling being in the Olympics. I just think it gets way too many medals. Just checked and there are TWENTY TWO cycling events. That’s nuts.
11 different events per gender across four different kinds of bikes (road, track, MTB, BMX). Maybe there's 1-2 events too many on the track, and these are also done over several days because there's often multiple heats. Other than that, I can't really see what I would cut - but then again, I enjoy watching it.

Women's pole vault.

binoculars-shawn.gif

Assakalov retiring on a shoulder injury. That's a bit sad.