2024 Summer Olympics (Paris)

It’s a shame volleyball is so irrelevant, much more exiting sport than football
I mostly agree with that. These days, other than Manchester Untied, WC, Euro and the CL, football doesn’t excite me as it used to.

I just wonder how is volleyball outside of the Olympics and other big events.

I'm a bit sick of all of these new events, bmx, skateboarding, speed climbing, breakdancing (FFS), surfing and even hydrofoil windsurfing seems a bit gimmicky. Others like Golf and tennis seem like vanity events for a few elite players who enter. And I'm not sure of the point of sports like football and rugby 7's were is isn't representative of the main sport.
Totally agree with you. I am surprised such events have made it to Olympics while squash is still not part of Olympics.

If Poland pull this off they're winning gold. Beating the USA in these conditions would erase any self-doubt or potential meltdown. Granted both Italy and France have a higher level in them than the 'murricans, in theory, but Poland has been too good for too long

Leon takes over

I mostly agree with that. These days, other than Manchester Untied, WC, Euro and the CL, football doesn’t excite me as it used to.

It's great. It's one of the only sport that is highly entertaining locally whether it is men or women playing. If you can find a local club amateur or professional and go watch them.

I used to go to the games a lot back when I was a teenager in Poland, every point was super important and exciting, but me being young and edgy I missed a little bit of rivalry and emotions between the fans.

These Olympic tournament has been an all timer

Italy vs Japan, France vs Germany, the first two sets of USA vs Brazil, now this

Poland will do this :eek:

Damn. Scary. Well then. Let's see if we can hold up our part of the deal tonight

Who is favorite for Italy-France?
In theory Italy. The last 3 years post-Tokyo have been a Poland vs Italy affair(we beat them in the WC final, they beat us in the Euro final), and these Olympics were supposed to be the third and final chapter of that rivalry

In practice, France are the reigning Olympic champions, play at home, have arguably the best player in the world, and their top level might still be the highest of anyone

That said, we've won most of the encounters(incluing the WC) in the last 3 years

In theory Italy. The last 3 years post-Tokyo have been a Poland vs Italy affair(we beat them in the WC final, they beat us in the Euro final), and these Olympics were supposed to be the third and final chapter of that rivalry

In practice, France are the reigning Olympic champions, play at home, have arguably the best player in the world, and their top level might still be the highest of anyone

That said, we've won most of the encounters(incluing the WC) in the last 3 years
not to jinx, but see you on Saturday :cool:

Thanks for the context. I haven't followed the sport in the past two years.

What a game...man we showed massive balls after poor 2nd and terrible 3rd sets. I'm speechless. A game that we will remember in decades.
@Red Star One thank your friend for Leon on behalf of the whole country! His cool and Fornal's energy was absolutely crucial in the toughest moments.

And Italy did triumph over Denmark, again

Seriously @Red Star One I hate your friend :lol:

We should have sent Juantorena on a mission to Cuba with a couple Italian lasses :(

Top 10 - Weighted medals per capita till now

Source:
https://medalspercapita.com/#weighted-per-capita:2024

1Dominica410067,40816,852
2Saint Lucia4100184,10046,025
3Grenada1001112,579112,579
4New Zealand233515,338,900232,126
5Australia881412827,364,621310,961
6Croatia122123,855,641321,303
7Ireland153035,281,600352,106
8Netherlands4475617,977,676408,583
9Georgia91213,694,600410,511