2024 Summer Olympics (Paris)

Would like to know from someone knowledgeable.. is this incompetence? Seems strange as a layman to me that you can’t control weight. Or is there more nuance to this?
Hard to say what caused it here. Maybe her check scale was off by a little bit, maybe it was a screw up on her part, maybe it was a miscalculation in her weight management / weight cut.

Ultimately though, it almost always is going to come down on the athlete. “Your first opponent is the scale” - you’ve gotta beat the weigh in to do anything in this sport & all wrestlers know that.

I also don’t get this and I’m reading the team was so desperate to get her weight down they even cut her hair and she ended up dehydrated after the official weighing. That’s sick and I wonder, are they being checked before each fight? She was below 50kg for the semifinal but didn’t manage the stay under 50kg for the final? I understand very little from all this
You’ve got to weigh in and make weight each day you compete.
Trying to keep weight below a certain limit for a series of fights over several days must be a nightmare.
Yeah, it’s not fun if you’re not disciplined throughout the current day of competition. You just have to be super diligent to not allow yourself to balloon up because that’s gonna make the overnight cut really tough.
Much prefer this style of weight cutting compared to contact sports where you've got much longer periods of time from weigh in to competing, which just encourages really dangerous weight cuts.

Edit: just to explain why short period times are safer in case anyone cared, shorter time period means you can't do those drastic weight cuts as your performance will be too negatively impacted.
Exactly this. Good info here

Women's keirin the judges forgot which lap they were at :lol:

Actually hilarious and insane that Team GB have Andy Macdonald skating for them.

France out of the Men's handball tournament after the most comical mistake I have ever seen :lol: arguably by their biggest star as well. Brutal.

Looked at the medal tallies for previous Olympics and we're quite a bit behind what we've achieved before with only 4 days left.

29 golds in London
27 golds in Rio
21 golds in Tokyo
12 golds so far in Paris

France out of the Men's handball tournament after the most comical mistake I have ever seen :lol: arguably by their biggest star as well. Brutal.

He has been annoying for the entirety of the tournament, he scored a lot but the amount of silly turnovers and selfish plays that he served has been puzzling.

Feel for Mem, played fantastic but that pass at the end of the game will haunt him. What a disaster for the French team.

Edit: Also what a way for Karabatic to have his career end like that.

He has been annoying for the entirety of the tournament, he scored a lot but the amount of silly turnovers and selfish plays that he served has been puzzling.
Ah ok, haven't watched a lot of France besides the Denmark and Germany games.

Really sad for Karabatic, but at least it's not like an Olympic gold medal is something missing from his record.

Aka the "Doncic"

Feels unfair that countries are able to claim US basketball players in FIBA without any connection to the team / country whatsoever. Belgian women team has had it happen with Germany and now Gustafson with Spain as well. I thought she might've played a few years in Spain or something like that but they basically just scouted her and asked "do you wanna play for Spain in the Olympics?".

Looked at the medal tallies for previous Olympics and we're quite a bit behind what we've achieved before with only 4 days left.

29 golds in London
27 golds in Rio
21 golds in Tokyo
12 golds so far in Paris

GB got a higher level of investment for the London games as most of the Hosts do and thats lasted for the following 2 Olympics. Probably regressing to where GB probably stands overall now with

29 golds in London
27 golds in Rio
21 golds in Tokyo
12 golds so far in Paris
If you look at our overall medal count we were still slightly ahead of Tokyo, as of yesterday. Our pre-games target was 50-70 medals, and it looks like we’ll be in the upper half of that range by the end.

In terms of golds, it’s got to be said that GB have had some terrible luck at these games. There’s been around 10 events where we’ve missed gold by a very narrow margin, been screwed over by the judges or by cnuts like Ingebritsen, or where the rules are just plain daft.

But at the end of the day, ending 4th or 5th with ~60 medals is still light years better than where GB were for most of the 20th century. (I remember Barcelona being considered successful when we only got 5 golds) These are still very good times.

Nobody can snatch anything serious.

GB got a higher level of investment for the London games as most of the Hosts do and thats lasted for the following 2 Olympics. Probably regressing to where GB probably stands overall now with
Its all the fault of Brexit honestly. Without being able to breath that clean EU air performances suffer. Probably the cause of losing the Euro finals twice as well.

To put the weight into perspective, this is comfortably above double bodyweight. I reckon only 2 GB men have done a double body weight snatch in the last 30 years, and even they did it by about 1kg, not 10+

Feel so sorry for the GB sailor. Was on course for silver when the race was abandoned earlier, now isn't going to get any medal.

But at the end of the day, ending 4th or 5th with ~60 medals is still light years better than where GB were for most of the 20th century. (I remember Barcelona being considered successful when we only got 5 golds) These are still very good times.
Definitely better than the first Olympics I remember watching, 96 in Atlanta when GB only got 1 gold.

29 golds in London
27 golds in Rio
21 golds in Tokyo
12 golds so far in Paris
I think the schedule is a bit different so the velodrome, where we always tend to win a few, is later this time round and distorting the numbers a bit. We are definitely behind where we might have hoped to be though and feels unlikely we’ll get to 20 golds from here but we’ll see.

Probably a stupid question but why don't any of the world's strongest man competitors try for the weightlifting? Are they just too heavy to fit into a category?

high pace in the Poland - USA semifinal in voleyball, so annoying it's not on the Spanish TV as they don't give a feck about this sport :lol:

Australia are having a great games, on course to finish 3rd ahead of the hosts.

Probably a stupid question but why don't any of the world's strongest man competitors try for the weightlifting? Are they just too heavy to fit into a category?
They are strong, but not necessarily powerful.
They'd have to compete in the super heavyweight category.
They likely don't have the flexibility to hit the olympic lifts.
Plus like others have said, there is no testing in strongman so 99% of them are on gear (I know one bloke who has been WSM twice who isn't on gear, and he thinks he's the only one)

one of my favourite anecdotes is that it's thanks to one of my closest friends that Leon now plays for Poland - it was through my friend that teenage Wilfredo met his future wife and later got the passport :lol: what a player, he's arguably the best in the world

Yeah, GB have missed out on quite a few golds that they might have expected to get over the last few days. Feels that they will be within the expected range for overall medals but down on golds.

high pace in the Poland - USA semifinal in voleyball, so annoying it's not on the Spanish TV as they don't give a feck about this sport :lol:
they got your number now :eek:
one of my favourite anecdotes is that it's thanks to one of my closest friends that Leon now plays for Poland - it was through my friend that teenage Wilfredo met his future wife and later got the passport :lol: what a player, he's arguably the best in the world
Wow :nervous:

And yeah, he's been the best or one of the best for pretty much all of the last 10 years or so. For my money right now I'd take N'Gapeth, but tomato, tomahto

they got your number now :eek:

Wow :nervous:

And yeah, he's been the best or one of the best for pretty much all of the last 10 years or so. For my money right now I'd take N'Gapeth, but tomato, tomahto
We are getting mauled, can’t win without a libero ffs