2024 Summer Olympics (Paris)

Germany already got a ridiculous 2 minutes penalty against France in the handball now, after the France-Canada basketball shitshow yesterday I expect another clueless referee performance in front of the homecrowd.

@JPRouve @Carolina Red Vinesh Phogat disqualified for being overweight by about 100g, so gold by default to the American Sarah I think.

She spent the whole night awake, skipping rope and jogging but unfortunately wasn't enough. Devastating stuff but rules are rules
Would like to know from someone knowledgeable.. is this incompetence? Seems strange as a layman to me that you can’t control weight. Or is there more nuance to this?

Germany already got a ridiculous 2 minutes penalty against France in the handball now, after the France-Canada basketball shitshow yesterday I expect another clueless referee performance in front of the homecrowd.

Germany also got away with an obvious 2 minutes with a shoulder to the face.

Would like to know from someone knowledgeable.. is this incompetence? Seems strange as a layman to me that you can’t control weight. Or is there more nuance to this?

Her normal weightclass is at under 53 and she is pretty tall. So no it's not incompetence, the only thing she can lose is water.

I also don’t get this and I’m reading the team was so desperate to get her weight down they even cut her hair and she ended up dehydrated after the official weighing. That’s sick and I wonder, are they being checked before each fight? She was below 50kg for the semifinal but didn’t manage the stay under 50kg for the final? I understand very little from all this

I also don’t get this and I’m reading the team was so desperate to get her weight down they even cut her hair and she ended up dehydrated after the official weighing. That’s sick and I wonder, are they being checked before each fight? She was below 50kg for the semifinal but didn’t manage the stay under 50kg for the final? I understand very little from all this

Cutting weight is difficult and it's not very practical to keep cutting a few kgs multiple times in a short space of time. You're deydrating yourself for the weigh in and then you have to rehydrate again so you can actually perform in the fight.

She got down to 50kgs or below previously and wasn't able to make it this time. If as someone else said that she normally fights at 53kg, it seems to have been a bit of a gamble to fight at 50kg this time around but chances of a medal were probably higher.

Last edited:
Germany also got away with an obvious 2 minutes with a shoulder to the face.
I'm mainly wumming, not really following the sport, France is the big favorite anyway I think? That 2 minutes for both players right now was the classical yellow card for two players in football situation, where one clearly instigated it and the other just gets the concession ban as well.

Trying to keep weight below a certain limit for a series of fights over several days must be a nightmare. For a one off event they can just cut a load of water weight then hydrate/refuel like crazy.

Trying to cut again a day or two later becomes super difficult because they will have done stuff like laying down glycogen stores in their muscles after the first fight. That can’t be dehydrated out of them. The fighters who manage this must have got their walking around weight down to a point where the cut is easy. If not, then they’ll end up in this sort of trouble.

Cutting weight is difficult and it's not very practical to keep cutting a few kgs multiple times in a short space of time. You're deydrating yourself for the weigh in and then you have to rehydrate again so you can actually perform in the fight.

She got down to 50kgs or below previously and wasn't able to make it this time. If as someone else said that she normally fights at 53kg, it seems to have been a bit of a gamble to fight at 50kg this time around but chances of a medal were probably higher.
well, it must really suck for her and I feel for her as reaching the final must have been great, but it does seem like she took a calculated risk to participate in the lighter category, rather than got screwed or unlucky out of nowhere.

well, it must really suck for her and I feel for her as reaching the final must have been great, but it does seem like she took a calculated risk to participate in the lighter category, rather than got screwed or unlucky out of nowhere.

She didn't really took a risk. In the 53kgs there was an other indian, Antim Panghal. Each nation can only enter one wrestler per class weight.

Edit: And an other wrestler at 57kg, the only spots were at 50 or 62.

Each set of climbs (called a problem in bouldering, or route in lead) is bespoke to the event they are climbed at. After the event they’re taken down, never to be seen again. With the exception of speed, where the route is identical at every contest.

It’s a real art getting the difficulty right. The best route setters in the world are seen as masters of their art. They also tend to be strong climbers and test each problem/route constantly when it’s being developed. The problems/routes at these Olympics took two months to set. All in extreme secrecy!
Thanks. I kind of assumed that it was a secret team, it was "the how do you test it" thing that intrigued me. So, no field trials then!

A shame the women’s pursuit team won’t be racing for gold - first time that’s happened since the event was introduced in 2012. They should at least be able to beat the Italians for the bronze though.

Emma Finucane looked good in the keirin. She might be GB’s latest star on the track

It's not that unusual, I've cut weight many times and often do water cuts, spitting etc. Known people to stick fingers down their throat the day of a competition. Much prefer this style of weight cutting compared to contact sports where you've got much longer periods of time from weigh in to competing, which just encourages really dangerous weight cuts.

Edit: just to explain why short period times are safer in case anyone cared, shorter time period means you can't do those drastic weight cuts as your performance will be too negatively impacted. If you have a longer period of time you can crash your body, weigh in, then re-feed and re-drink. My last competition I cut just under 8kg in 6 weeks, and then cut the last 1.5kg by doing a water cut the 4 days leading up to the competition. Comp day just weigh in and drink a rehydration drink and grab some carbs.

Last edited:
A shame the women’s pursuit team won’t be racing for gold - first time that’s happened since the event was introduced in 2012. They should at least be able to beat the Italians for the bronze though.

Emma Finucane looked good in the keirin. She might be GB’s latest star on the track
Yeah, a shame, and might have been different if Katie Archibald had been fit. Finucane looks a great talent.

Katy Archibald breaking her leg is a big blow for them.

Sailing is so confusing! They're all going in different directions/not getting off the line

Ah OK they haven't started the race that might be why :lol:

Kenny rates her very highly.

Clicked on the 51 year old British skateboarders profile on the Olympics website and in the award section it says

“Selected the best overall skater in the readers poll of the Transworld skateboarding magazine 1998”

:lol::lol::lol:

No clue about handball but surely this has to be up there with one of the worst bottle jobs possible in any sport. If France lose this now...

No clue about handball but surely this has to be up there with one of the worst bottle jobs possible in any sport. If France lose this now...

France have been shit for the entirety of the tournament. The entire thing is a bottle job.

Depends on how far they were ahead and how many minutes were left. A 3 goal lead can easily be swallowed up in less than 2 minutes.

Depends on how far they were ahead and how many minutes were left. A 3 goal lead can easily be swallowed up in less than 2 minutes.
They shipped the equaliser with less than a second to go after leading with two goals for the last 5 minutes. Losing possession some three seconds from the death

They were one up and had the ball with 5 seconds left. Surely you just have to balloon it to the other side of the pitch and you win. Instead the guy passed it to a german player 2 meters away from him.

How they keep track of the sailing positions I have no idea, they're all over the place :lol:

Absolutely no way would I want to have a go, they're hanging off the side of these boats that are violently leaning to one side

They were one up and had the ball with 5 seconds left. Surely you just have to balloon it to the other side of the pitch and you win. Instead the guy passed it to a german player 2 meters away from him.

I would consider that a huge blunder more than a bottle job (which in my dictionary is more of a collective failure). But yes, that is significant.

And now they abandon the race with only one marker left to navigate? So they have to start all over again?!

Thanks. I kind of assumed that it was a secret team, it was "the how do you test it" thing that intrigued me. So, no field trials then!

The setters will operate as a team, including some very strong young climbers. So there’s a lot of field trials in a way, in terms of climbers trying them out before they’re revealed to the world.

An interesting thing about them is they’re not that hard. The strongest climbers at any gym, basically anywhere in the world, would be able to work out a way to get to the top. Eventually. It would take a few days and dozens and dozens of attempts but they would figure it out, given enough time. Completely different ball game when you have only 5 minutes. That’s when you separate the very best in the world from mere mortals.