2024 Summer Olympics (Paris)

Oof, Barshim with an apparent leg injury in the high jump :(

Barshim injured and it's his competitors taking care of him.

They do exactly that in the event he’s talking about. You’re describing speed climbing, which is one of two (technically three but let’s not go there) different climbing events. Speed climbing is the only one where they always climb the same route.

Toby Roberts (team GB) has a decent chance of a non speed climbing medal, so may end up televised by the beeb. Although he hasn’t been so far, in the qualification rounds.
Ah ok, makes more sense on the normal climbing event. The speed climbing was pretty bizarre, particularly given it took c4.8 secs.

They should make them do real world, urban climbing. Scaffolded buildings. Blocks of flats with tiny, unsafe balconies. Telephone masts. Piles of cars in scrapyards. Sure, the woke leftie lot will make the usual complainants about sporting integrity and, y’know, mortality rates and all that blah blah blah but tell me you wouldn’t be watching.
That would be great if they had to neck a pint of Stella between each round.

Almost a disaster in the 5000m heats, that cameraman did not realise there was a race going on.

I'm a bit sick of all of these new events, bmx, skateboarding, speed climbing, breakdancing (FFS), surfing and even hydrofoil windsurfing seems a bit gimmicky. Others like Golf and tennis seem like vanity events for a few elite players who enter. And I'm not sure of the point of sports like football and rugby 7's were is isn't representative of the main sport.
Maybe I'm an old fart, but the skateboarding felt more like a TV show being filmed at a kid's skate park, with 11, 14 and 16 year olds competing.

Wow, we got a Belgian in the 5.000m final, crazy. And it's a guy who asked AI a few years ago on how to reach this Olympics and to make him a training schedule :lol:
Two Belgians! Unheard of, that.

They've just compared the 5000m heats to the Kayak Cross. We need more violence before we can make that comparison, though there has been more than expected.

Does anyone have any insights on the relative difficulty between 3m and 10m diving? The instinctive thought would be the 3m is somewhat easier, but I'm wondering if it's the opposite? The 10m you have a perfect launch every time and will generally be travelling more vertically on entry. I've noticed in the 3m qualifying the quality of entry is significantly worse than the 10m.

Ah ok, makes more sense on the normal climbing event. The speed climbing was pretty bizarre, particularly given it took c4.8 secs.

That would be great if they had to neck a pint of Stella between each round.
We’ll call it ‘Social Climbing’.

Did we just….workshop a billion dollar idea?

Toby Roberts very good chances. Physically he's right up there, but nerves might get to him he is very young.
When he qualified for the Olympics by winning the lead climb in Laval 2023, Shauna Coxsey was talking about how much he'd been working on nerves etc. He really has been putting a lot of effort in over the last few years. He even mentioned that starting a YouTube channel was helping him get used to dealing with cameras and interviews.

I wish him all the best for this one.

I felt the same. On the plus side GB’s only male contestant will make us feel young. He’s 53 years old.
He must feel like a right creep hanging out with all those youngsters.

They say that no matter how good you are at something, there’s an Asian person who’s even better. Not true with diving. With diving, there are two Asian people who are better than you.

We’ll call it ‘Social Climbing’.

Did we just….workshop a billion dollar idea?
Pissheads climbing scaffolding and lampposts would produce so many viral moments.

Basically me at the climbing gym, twice a week, every week. At least skateboarders don’t wear skimpy clothes :o
:lol:I guess you're naturally staring up at their arse when they're climbing too. They have a massive climbing wall in the middle of one of the shopping malls in Singapore, so you can sit and have a cup of tea watching them.

:lol:I guess you're naturally staring up at their arse when they're climbing too. They have a massive climbing wall in the middle of one of the shopping malls in Singapore, so you can sit and have a cup of tea watching them.

Jippy, you are not supposed to tell everyone that you are creep and where you exercise your hobby.

Mills and a couple of the other fallers advanced currently - did look to be the French guy’s fault in the replays.

Mills and a couple of the other fallers advanced currently - did look to be the French guy’s fault in the replays.
Surprised Nur hasn't been advanced from the fall just before that.

Looks like it's gonna be a chaotically busy 5000...without any photographers

4NQy0ReD0eW905zbLS8Q6Qyz9Yl-i_Ns-zwmQJg7gqXQ.jpg

Shame no one shoved that cnut to the ground

Well, that’s different gymnast than the one Chiles bumped down.

Did the Romanian coaches appeal the call? From the broadcast, it didn’t sound like they ever did.
They're appealing but I doubt anything will come out of it. At least they're trying. Replays clearly show she didn't go out of bounds. No one's saying anything and it'll probably be swept under the rug. Watching that "competition" and the judo a few days earlier really soured me on the Olympics. 0 morals, full blown politics and hypocrisy.

Eurosport is showing all the climbing. Nothing on the bbc so far. But they might show some now the semi-finals are out of the way and medals up for grabs. Toby Roberts made the final, fairly easily.
Cheers. The BBC don't even seem to have anything on their YouTube site. Really lame that…. It’s all horses and joggers. I don’t have any subscription TV so I’m a bit stuck. I’ll wait for something to come up online.

Cheers. The BBC don't even seem to have anything on their YouTube site. Really lame that…. It’s all horses and joggers. I don’t have any subscription TV so I’m a bit stuck. I’ll wait for something to come up online.

That’s annoying. The discovery plus app might be worth a go if you’re very keen? Think it’s only a few quid per month and you can cancel immediately. They have all of the climbing (and every other event in the Olympics) available to stream or watch live in full.

(I don’t work for Discovery Plus!)

When they setup the climbs for boulder I know they don't reveal them to the climbers until they're ready to climb. So how do the people setting up know that the course is climable?

Do they test lots of courses in advance, at events, in private? Is there a team somewhere doing the tests to create some kind of playbook of favourites?

@JPRouve @Carolina Red Vinesh Phogat disqualified for being overweight by about 100g, so gold by default to the American Sarah I think.

She spent the whole night awake, skipping rope and jogging but unfortunately wasn't enough. Devastating stuff but rules are rules
Oh wow. Devastating for India.

One woman injured while winning in the semis, one misses weight for the finals.

Incredibly tight race, but when an event comes and goes that fast it couldn't really be otherwise.
Yeah, I find it a bit weird they only have one run and that it goes so fast - one small mistake and you're completely fecked. So tight.
First gold for Poland!!! Left me teary-eyed
breathe of fresh air considering we've been absolutely terrible this Olympics, beautiful moment. now onto volleyball, this will be so tough today

When they setup the climbs for boulder I know they don't reveal them to the climbers until they're ready to climb. So how do the people setting up know that the course is climable?

Do they test lots of courses in advance, at events, in private? Is there a team somewhere doing the tests to create some kind of playbook of favourites?

Each set of climbs (called a problem in bouldering, or route in lead) is bespoke to the event they are climbed at. After the event they’re taken down, never to be seen again. With the exception of speed, where the route is identical at every contest.

It’s a real art getting the difficulty right. The best route setters in the world are seen as masters of their art. They also tend to be strong climbers and test each problem/route constantly when it’s being developed. The problems/routes at these Olympics took two months to set. All in extreme secrecy!