2024 Summer Olympics (Paris)

Leprechauns and fisting was not a mental image I was expecting tonight
Gross. Iwas referring to this.
cropped_old-notre-dame-fighting-irish.jpg

Am I being thick, or have the BBC not covered any of the climbing? I probably am being thick, I haven’t watched the Olympics before. I was expecting to see some coverage of Toby Roberts but can’t find anything.
They had a bit on earlier. It's ok to watch for a few mins then gets very samey. They climb the exact same course over and over again and can do it in under 5 seconds, so it's ridiculously quick.
They should at least mix the footholds and grips up so it's a challenge.

They had a bit on earlier. It's ok to watch for a few mins then gets very samey. They climb the exact same course over and over again and can do it in under 5 seconds, so it's ridiculously quick.
They should make them do real world, urban climbing. Scaffolded buildings. Blocks of flats with tiny, unsafe balconies. Telephone masts. Piles of cars in scrapyards. Sure, the woke leftie lot will make the usual complainants about sporting integrity and, y’know, mortality rates and all that blah blah blah but tell me you wouldn’t be watching.

Still sat wondering how Kerr can get any happiness out of that and be talking about trying to get gold in LA. That's going to be an incredibly tough task.

It’s pretty funny that we got gold & bronze in the men’s 1500m because the Brit and Norwegian were too focused on their feud

I'm a bit sick of all of these new events, bmx, skateboarding, speed climbing, breakdancing (FFS), surfing and even hydrofoil windsurfing seems a bit gimmicky. Others like Golf and tennis seem like vanity events for a few elite players who enter. And I'm not sure of the point of sports like football and rugby 7's were is isn't representative of the main sport.

They do exactly that in the event he’s talking about. You’re describing speed climbing, which is one of two (technically three but let’s not go there) different climbing events. Speed climbing is the only one where they always climb the same route.

Toby Roberts (team GB) has a decent chance of a non speed climbing medal, so may end up televised by the beeb. Although he hasn’t been so far, in the qualification rounds.

Am I being thick, or have the BBC not covered any of the climbing? I probably am being thick, I haven’t watched the Olympics before. I was expecting to see some coverage of Toby Roberts but can’t find anything.

Eurosport is showing all the climbing. Nothing on the bbc so far. But they might show some now the semi-finals are out of the way and medals up for grabs. Toby Roberts made the final, fairly easily.

Still sat wondering how Kerr can get any happiness out of that and be talking about trying to get gold in LA. That's going to be an incredibly tough task.
Yup. I only went back to 1988 Seoul but there haven't been any winners older than 30 in the 1.500m at all since then. The only winner who was 27 or older was El Guerrouj in Athens who was 29, and he's arguably the GOAT on that distance.

Absolutely brutal news for Vinesh phogat who has missed weight in the wrestling today and is likely to be stripped of her medal

Yup. I only went back to 1988 Seoul but there haven't been any winners older than 30 in the 1.500m at all since then. The only winner who was 27 or older was El Guerrouj in Athens who was 29, and he's arguably the GOAT on that distance.

Yeah, this was his chance and the silly rivalry that they have has fluffed it for both him and Jakob.

@JPRouve @Carolina Red Vinesh Phogat disqualified for being overweight by about 100g, so gold by default to the American Sarah I think.

She spent the whole night awake, skipping rope and jogging but unfortunately wasn't enough. Devastating stuff but rules are rules

It really shows how deeply unserious British Athletics is about field events when the fifth best long jumper in the world has to fit his training in around a 9-5 office job. It seems he still needs to find another ~20cm to get amongst the medals at a major championship, but he could have got that if he’d been full-time the last couple of years. At 27, I fear he may have missed his chance now.

https://metro.co.uk/2024/08/07/team...b-just-three-days-olympic-final-21374869/amp/

@JPRouve @Carolina Red Vinesh Phogat disqualified for being overweight by about 100g, so gold by default to the American Sarah I think.

She spent the whole night awake, skipping rope and jogging but unfortunately wasn't enough. Devastating stuff but rules are rules

It's a shame I was looking forward to her bout agaisnt Hildebrandt.

It really shows how deeply unserious British Athletics is about field events when the fifth best long jumper in the world has to fit his training in around a 9-5 office job. It seems he still needs to find another ~20cm to get amongst the medals at a major championship, but he could have got that if he’d been full-time the last couple of years. At 27, I fear he may have missed his chance now.

https://metro.co.uk/2024/08/07/team...b-just-three-days-olympic-final-21374869/amp/

I could not believe that he has to work when I saw his interview on the BBC last night. I thought that he would get lottery funding like I assume the rest of them do.

I'm a bit sick of all of these new events, bmx, skateboarding, speed climbing, breakdancing (FFS), surfing and even hydrofoil windsurfing seems a bit gimmicky. Others like Golf and tennis seem like vanity events for a few elite players who enter. And I'm not sure of the point of sports like football and rugby 7's were is isn't representative of the main sport.

Would agree. Throw in horse dancing and fuxking show jumping too. Proper posh.
Next we'll have dogs jumping over things and running through a tunnel.

Probably not so much for the latter, as she was within the weight requirements for yesterday's bouts. It's today's bout measurement that she missed the weight.
True but I'd be a bit more miffed if I not only lost but the person to beat me didn't even go on to compete due to DSQ!

Lead climbing semi final now coming up. Pretty interesting how hard the route will be, makes a big difference with regards to the scoring.

Lead climbing semi final now coming up. Pretty interesting how hard the route will be, makes a big difference with regards to the scoring.
Watching this now (needed to flip through about 10 channels before finding it), seems fun. Are GB's chances for a medal good in this?

these climbers are pathetic. it’s basically vertical crawling and they’re only making it a couple of metres.

Watching this now (needed to flip through about 10 channels before finding it), seems fun. Are GB's chances for a medal good in this?
Toby Roberts very good chances. Physically he's right up there, but nerves might get to him he is very young.

Just realised that not only are the boulder final and lead final on the same day, they’re right after each other. Barely any break at all. Huge incentive to walk away from any boulder they find difficult, to save energy for lead. Which makes for a worse spectacle. Really dumb scheduling IMO.

Thought you were exaggerating for humorous effect and then googled it. Wtf!

amazing how all the other events are completely anti-drug, and yet the climbers get to compete with a fat pouch of chang attached to their belts.

Would agree. Throw in horse dancing and fuxking show jumping too. Proper posh.
Next we'll have dogs jumping over things and running through a tunnel.
At least the posh horse torturers have been torturing horses for many many olympics.

amazing how all the other events are completely anti-drug, and yet the climbers get to compete with a fat pouch of chang attached to their belts.
And tell me that the surfers would pass a test for weed?

Wow, we got a Belgian in the 5.000m final, crazy. And it's a guy who asked AI a few years ago on how to reach this Olympics and to make him a training schedule :lol: