2024 Summer Olympics (Paris)

It was the right (and only) tactic for him. He needs a tough race to make it hard on Kerr, his end shot is nothing compared to Kerr's.
I know little about these guys but reading the comments to this great race here it seems the Norwegian was too fixated about one opponent - rarely a good tactic.

Ingebrigtsen already has an Olympic gold medal. No one knows what the field will look like in 2028, he beat his main rival and still lost out on gold, should be utterly disappointed he couldn't hold off Hocker.

Opportunity of a lifetime missed.

Yup. No point breaking “that douchebag” if it’s for someone else’s benefit.

Ingebrigtsen already has an Olympic gold medal. No one knows what the field will look like in 2028, he beat his main rival and still lost out on gold, should be utterly disappointed he couldn't hold off Hocker.

Opportunity of a lifetime missed.

Hocker got an olympic record and Kerr a PB, so it wasn't exactly a huge fail.

No, just the lower distances… all greats.

Don’t know what you mean by wind assisted (well within legal limit) … do you mean someone faked the timing? Lots of records are wind assisted, Bolts 100 for example.

Not so much, it's wildly considered that Flo-Jo's 100m was wind-assisted from anywhere from 4.0 up to 7.0.... despite being record at 0.0, because so were the QF's but the SF's were like 5.5. It's legit an asterisk on her wiki page. There's loads of videos overly covering it too, it's been pretty much well known since more or less when it happened.

But all of the 100-800m records being like 40 years old despite being the key funded events in a time when advancements in every sense are vastly vastly superior is beyond wild. They might as well have just let Ben Johnson's stand... and even that was broken 20 years ago.

Weightlifting finally starts tomorrow :cool:, although they aren't particularly thrilling weight classes. Friday should be a fantastic day with the m89s and w71s

As others have said, boxing is shit. The scoring doesn't make sense and isn't correlating with what we're seeing with our own eyes. There has to be a way of making the score visible in real time so that we can clearly see who is winning. I don't understand how this isn't already in practice. It seems simple enough. Any deductions can be explained at the end of each round, if there are any.
They did used to have an electronic scoring system like that. Each of the judges had red and blue buttons, and pressed one whenever they thought a boxer had landed a punch. If enough judges pressed their button at the same time, it was recorded as one point. And you used to be able to see the live score during the match. They changed to the current system in 2016.

I know little about these guys but reading the comments to this great race here it seems the Norwegian was too fixated about one opponent - rarely a good tactic.

It wasn't a good tactic he needed to increase the speed in the last two rounds instead of doing in the first two. What he did was essentially set up everyone else for a sprint while his legs would be gone.

As others have said, boxing is shit. The scoring doesn't make sense and isn't correlating with what we're seeing with our own eyes. There has to be a way of making the score visible in real time so that we can clearly see who is winning. I don't understand how this isn't already in practice. It seems simple enough. Any deductions can be explained at the end of each round, if there are any.
It used to have the scoring in real-time when the judges gave points for scoring punches. No idea why they got rid of it. It may have had its own issues, but at least it was transparent.

Nothing that's happened in the 1.500m the past two years has indicated that this was an opportunity tonight, so don't really blame him for that.
It wasn't a good tactic he needed to increase the speed in the last two rounds instead of doing in the first two. What he did was essentially set up everyone else for a sprint while his legs would be gone.
Wouldn't have stood a chance either if he kept Kerr's legs fresh until 800m left. Breaking him long and hard was his best shot. You really think you know better than what he actually applied?

Wouldn't have stood a chance either if he kept Kerr's legs fresh until 800m left. Breaking him long and hard was his best shot. You really think you know better than what he actually applied?

Okay. Athletes are correct 100% of the time.

Yup. No point breaking “that douchebag” if it’s for someone else’s benefit.

Yet plenty, including myself too, are here believing Ingebrigtsen left the space so his rival would more likely come second than him medalling at all :lol: The pettiness is clearly there, thus why I say Kerr will take it in his own right... not sure why the other geezer thinks that means he's not still disappointed.

Hocker got an olympic record and Kerr a PB, so it wasn't exactly a huge fail.
They got those records because Ingebritsen set the pace early and and throughout the race, which rarely happens in the Olympics (in Hocker's case then).

Not a huge fail I agree, but I'd be very disappointed if I were Kerr, not delighted that I got 2nd just because my main rival didn't medal.

Going fast in the first half of a race is the opposite of setting people up for a sprint. A slow first half is what suits the strong finishers best. A fast start can take away their kick. Hence that was his strategy.

Yet plenty, including myself too, are here believing Ingebrigtsen left the space so his rival would more likely come second than him medalling at all :lol: The pettiness is clearly there, thus why I say Kerr will take it in his own right... not sure why the other geezer thinks that means he's not still disappointed.

Put down the kool aid…

Okay. Athletes are correct 100% of the time.
:boring:

Please explain to me why your tactic would have worked better, then. Taking into account that Kerr would've been cruising the first half of the race.

Going fast in the first half of a race is the opposite of setting people up for a sprint. A slow first half is what suits the strong finishers best. A fast start can take away their kick. Hence that was his strategy.
Spot on.

Brazil 4-1 cracking match, Brazil are another class
They've played it exactly right. Kept Spain frustrated by dropping deep, but counter attacking in numbers and at speed.

Twelfth minute of 15 added and Spain get it back to 4-2

In a way they took each other out. Their tactics and their decisions during the race was so focused on taking out each other they both missed the ball. Not often you see two such extreme favourites both screw up. Fair play to the yank lad. Took his opportunity. He’ll go down in history as an Olympic champion. They won’t.

Who said that he need to be slow at any point? Surely there is a gap between being besting the world record in the first round and being slow?

But anyway, you are right. He followed the perfect tactic.

In a way they took each other out. Their tactics and their decisions during the race was so focused on taking out each other they both missed the ball. Not often you see two such extreme favourites both screw up. Fair play to the yank lad. Took his opportunity. He’ll go down in history as an Olympic champion. They won’t.
Ingebrigtsen will most definitely go down as an Olympic champion already. Kerr on the other hand, we'll have to wait until 2028 when he'll be nearly 31.

Who said that he need to be slow at any point? Surely there is a gap between being besting the world record in the first round and being slow?

But anyway, you are right. He followed the perfect tactic.

The tactics were fine. The execution wasn’t. Which we know because he’s run a faster time than tonight’s race earlier this year. I’m sure the plan was to run faster again tonight. Shit happens.

Okay so that implies he did follow the right tactic but just didn't execute it good enough.

What you suggested is what he tried in Budapest when he lost to Kerr. No idea why he should've just repeated that tonight.

They got those records because Ingebritsen set the pace early and and throughout the race, which rarely happens in the Olympics (in Hocker's case then).

Not a huge fail I agree, but I'd be very disappointed if I were Kerr, not delighted that I got 2nd just because my main rival didn't medal.
Yeah, they basically had a pacesetter. It was a really stupid tactic, but also Kerr couldn't let him get a lead as he would have relaxed on it and won easily at 90% pace. They often run quick like that on the circuit and Kerr hasn't run that time before.

I agree there will be disappointment, but tactically I'm not going to blame Kerr for staying with the man who's run 2.5 seconds quicker than him before and who's capable (timewise) of a lot more than we saw today.

The tactics were fine. The execution wasn’t. Which we know because he’s run a faster time than tonight’s race earlier this year. I’m sure the plan was to run faster again tonight. Shit happens.

You might want to watch that faster time.

You might want to watch that faster time.

I’d rather not. I find middle and long distance running dull as feck. I was only interested in this race because the two favourites seem like such utter bell ends and the way they openly hate each other made it interesting. So I was delighted when neither of them won. It was the perfect outcome.

I’d rather not. I find middle and long distance running dull as feck. I was only interested in this race because the two favourites seem like such utter bell ends and the way they openly hate each other made it interesting. So I was delighted when neither of them won.

Okay that explains why you randomly think it's the same tactic instead of him having genuine pacesetters who more or less drop off once their jobs are done. It was seemingly a race built for him to make a time marker.

Just watched the 1500m final. Kerr and Inge are massive bellends aren't they?! :lol:
Buzzing for the US lad.