2024 Summer Olympics (Paris)

I've watched a lot of gymnastics - Olympics does funny things to you. Anyway India battling against Pakistan for Olympic gold in javelin is a proper far fetched Bollywood script. Utterly parallel universe stuff. Oh and I loved the archery stuff. Nerves of steel.

My daughter is into Korean culture so watches a lot of truly (awful) Korean Netflix stuff, anyway there is one program where one of the main female protagonists is a school archer who kills zombies. I never thought anything of it until I saw some of the Korean archers at the Olympics and realised it was actually a thing :lol:

anyway there is one program where one of the main female protagonists is a school archer who kills zombies. I never thought anything of it until I saw some of the Korean archers at the Olympics and realised it was actually a thing :lol:

Wait, which channel broadcasts the zombie killing?!

Why Britain don't care for team sports with the ball (except football)?
Volleyball, handball, waterpolo, basketball are popular in whole Europe except in UK.

As worn by French revolutionaries and an icon used on lots of public buildings. Allegedly.
The mascot is kind of endearing, but god knows who came up with the idea of a hat with legs.

Volleyball, handball, waterpolo, basketball are popular in whole Europe except in UK.
We're probably just crap at them. Hardly anyone plays in handball and waterpolo in the UK. Thought we'd be able to muster a team for the other two though, even if they aren't great.

We're probably just crap at them. Hardly anyone plays in handball and waterpolo in the UK. Thought we'd be able to muster a team for the other two though, even if they aren't great.
But it is strange that Britain is non-existent in all of them. That must be some cultural thing.

Veterans race now on in the skateboarding - only one fourteen year old in the group

I don't get gymnastics. Feels like a rigged competition. The way they ripped that Romanian girl's medal right out of her hands was disgusting. It's like they really wanted 3 Americans on the podium.

I don't get gymnastics. Feels like a rigged competition. The way they ripped that Romanian girl's medal right out of her hands was disgusting. It's like they really wanted 3 americans on the podium.
3 Americans: Unless you’re using the broad definition of American, that was impossible.

Scoring: The U.S. coaches appealed that there had been a scoring error. The judges reviewed the film and confirmed that there had been, and changed the scoring for Chiles to the correct score.

Loads of the poshos I came across in uni played waterpolo.

There's cricket and the different rugby codes? Brits like their team sports taking place outside and not those country sports halls that abound in continental Europe.
If Brits are inside it's something you can do while you drink a pint like darts or snooker

But it is strange that Britain is non-existent in all of them. That must be some cultural thing.

It probably is an exposure thing. Over here, we tend to veer towards sports such as football, netball, rugby, cricket, hockey, swimming, and then the numerous sports which fall under the athletics umbrella.

There's the competition between sports as well. If a person in their teenage years wants to persevere with a sport, they've got to all in on that. It means that any other sports they had a passive interest in will start to fall by the wayside. E.g. if somebody really enjoys tennis and sees a career in that sport, then they're less likely to persevere with rugby, or hockey, or competitive swimming, or any other sports which they may play in casually, which could include some of the sports that you mentioned.

Culturally, volleyball, handball, etc are not all that well followed in the UK. They don't really get any prominence in schools, and for the outside of school clubs, there's a heavy skewing towards some of the other sports I mentioned earlier. You may get a small number that take up those sports, but possibly not enough hunger to take it up professionally and push on with it to the Olympic level.

3 Americans: Unless you’re using the broad definition of American, that was impossible.

Scoring: The U.S. coaches appealed that there had been a scoring error. The judges reviewed the film and confirmed that there had been, and changed the scoring for Chiles to the correct score.
I'm sure they judged fairly. Should've let her climb on the podium then just kick her in her teeth and take the medal.

I'm sure they judged fairly. Should've let her climb on the podium then just kick her in her teeth and take the medal.
I mean, they did…?

The scoring change was explained & they did start the difficulty rating .1 too low because they didn’t account for Chiles adding a skill to her routine.

Hoping Sky will be able to take part in the final, looks like that fall aggravated her injury

I mean, they did…?

The scoring change was explained & they did start the difficulty rating .1 too low because they didn’t account for Chiles adding a skill to her routine.
But the Romanians also appealed when they deducted points from their other gymnast for going "out of bounds" or whatever if I'm not mistaken, and the replays showed she didn't? I'm sure it's all fair and square when it goes the US way.

I think one factor is that Olympic team sports struggle to get Lottery funding because it’s usually based on potential medal opportunities (rightly or wrongly)

With a sport like handball, there’s only ever two gold medals on offer, no matter how much money you invest, whereas that same amount invested in something like swimming could get you 10+ medals.

Hockey, the one team sport where GB does ok at the Olympics, was already well established in the UK before lottery funding started.

I'm not sure Cardiff was too big on rowing. The posh lads were either rugby, waterpolo, or smackheads
At Durham they were rowers, rugby too and many bitter at missing out on Oxbridge.

Hoping Sky will be able to take part in the final, looks like that fall aggravated her injury
Yeah looks her shoulder has gone again, kind of feels wrong for kids so young to be going through this, their bodies will fecked by the time they're 30.