2022 US Elections

Florida’s result had me doubting in the first half, not gonna lie!

Turns out our seed of optimism actually grew into a nice little tree. If BoBo goes down (after all, she says she is at her strongest on her knees) I might just plant that little tree in Denver. It's definitely not going to be a palm tree in fecking Florida though.

Looks like a runoff will be needed to restore my faith in humanity but Warnock looking very solid and Walker not getting the Kemp level of support he needed.
Senate looking promising.
House has been a disaster for the GOP. If they win the House but only by 1-2 seats, they won't be able to obstruct at the level they thought they would and the Dems might even be able to peel any moderate GOP Reps still left.
Turns out abortion was moving voters a helluva lot more than the "pollsters" said it was.

I'd say that's it. There is no Democrat with his momentum.

Newsom would be the closest. He's winning 58% to 42% now and his lead will likely widen since the rural districts get counted first. Whether Biden would step aside as he claimed he would in 2020 is another story though.

Isn’t Florida basically concentrating the GOP vote of the retirement age group away from other states?

Yes, I was thinking this too. Florida gets a lot of GOP-leaning voters that want a tax haven so the state sees a larger GOP migration than any other. Also, the Hispanic vote in Florida is much more conservative than in any other state.

Unreal that Puerto Ricans in Florida voted 55% for DeSantis. I can understand Cubans voting heavily red, but PRs are a bit baffling.

It’ll be interesting to see the exit polling on that.

Isn’t Florida basically concentrating the GOP vote of the retirement age group away from other states?

Much of FL is a southern state, which means voting will naturally skew R. It also has a massive contingent of military bases throughout the panhandle, in Tampa, and on the east coast, which are traditionally more R in voting history. Then you have the retirees. After that you have Dade and Broward Cubans who think voting R is a vote against communism. Collectively, these are what will make it hard for Dems to win there anytime soon.

Florida’s result had me doubting in the first half, not gonna lie!

Florida results were expected to be honest after seeing the GOP leading the early vote in Miami-Dade county.

Its just crazy how Florida was a swing state just 6 years ago. Don't think i have ever seen a previous swing state trend so hard towards one party in such a short period of time.

This guy earned a follow out of me, well for at least as long as Twitter is alive. Seems to have a better grasp on things than any of the professionals.
I’ve been holding back on following him. He felt a bit too much like one of those transfer journalists who say what United fans want to hear all summer.

Florida results were expected to be honest after seeing the GOP leading the early vote in Miami-Dade county.

Its just crazy how Florida was a swing state just 6 years ago. Don't think i have ever seen a previous swing state trend so hard towards one party in such a short period of time.
It was the margins that were so shocking. Never envisioned either Dem to win either major race.

Just wait a second, Chris Christie, the republican who was part of Trump team ran against De Santis, as a Democrat. How did the Democrats allow that?

Wrong dude. This was Charlie Crist, who has now run, and lost, as an R, an I, and a D in Florida. Impressive natural hattrick.

Just wait a second, Chris Christie, the republican who was part of Trump team ran against De Santis, as a Democrat. How did the Democrats allow that?

No. Christie has been commentating on ABC. It was Crist the Democrats ran against Desantis. Crist was a poor candidate who loses every election he runs in so yea it was ridiculous to run him but its not Chris Cristie :lol:

Wrong dude. This was Charlie Crist, who has now run, and lost, as an R, an I, and a D in Florida. Impressive natural hattrick.
No. Christie has been commentating on ABC. It was Crist the Democrats ran against Desantis. Crist was a poor candidate who loses every election he runs in so yea it was ridiculous to run him but its not Chris Cristie :lol:
That makes more sense, even Democrats aren't this dim.

That makes more sense, even Democrats aren't this dim.
source.gif

Johnson defeats Barnes. Race just called.

Johnson remains the only GOP statewide office holder in the state. I may dig a bit into where Evers/Barnes diverged to see where that happened. My pessimistic side is telling me it had a whole lot to do with what the candidate looked like and not necessarily policies. There is no world where I can see someone honestly deciding that there is any synergy between Evers and Johnson politically.

Unreal that Puerto Ricans in Florida voted 55% for DeSantis. I can understand Cubans voting heavily red, but PRs are a bit baffling.

It’ll be interesting to see the exit polling on that.

Latin people tend to be extremely religious don’t they?

Johnson remains the only GOP statewide office holder in the state. I may dig a bit into where Evers/Barnes diverged to see where that happened. My pessimistic side is telling me it had a whole lot to do with what the candidate looked like and not necessarily policies. There is no world where I can see someone honestly deciding that there is any synergy between Evers and Johnson politically.

Which is unfortunate given that it has effectively sidelined Feingold for the past decade.

Things change. Florida has been extreme from a state that both parties can win, to a very solid GOP one. But then Arizona was a deep red state and now it voted Biden and gave two senators to Dems, and looks likely they will keep them. Or Georgia, which had GOP senators and Obama lost it by 5 in 2008 and by 8 in 2012, voted Biden and has two Democrat senators.

Things change. Alabama was a solid blue state 45 or so years ago.

My understanding is that for the Senate right now it is:

Dems 49
Gop 48

And there are three States still very close to call:
Arizona, Georgia, Nevada.

Georgia may have a runoff in January. The other two as far as I know do not have runoffs.

Did I get this right?

Dems 49
Gop 48

Georgia may have a runoff in January. The other two as far as I know do not have runoffs.

Did I get this right?
I think that's right. GA state law requires a runoff if neither candidate has more than 50% of the vote share.

AZ and NV don't have that requirement, so it goes down to whoever has the most votes regardless of share.

Dems 49
Gop 48

Did I get this right?

I think you have the Dems and GOP flipped around. Dems should be at 48 and GOP at 49. Dems need AZ and GA to keep it at 50.

Wow, so yeah..... Every county, EVERY COUNTY!!!!, went for Evers over Barnes. There were some that even went Evers/Johnson. The biggest culprits were Waukesha and Milwaukee, but Dane didn't cover itself in glory either. Not sure white ass Wisconsin is ready to elect a POC to a statewide office.