2022 US Elections

So basically you are telling me that in Red states they can do and undo as they please and in blue states it is usually need it to be bipartisan and the supreme court can overturn it (and not red states)?
No, blue states are gerrymandered to benefit theirselves just like red states. A lot of the court rulings come down to the makeup of the various levels of courts on a political level.

If the GOP discard Trump(they won't), I trust Trump to wage war against them. I would love to see it

No, blue states are gerrymandered to benefit theirselves just like red states. A lot of the court rulings come down to the makeup of the various levels of courts on a political level.

Oooohhhh, so the perception that gerrymandering benefits mostly Rs is biased probably. thanks

So basically you are telling me that in Red states they can do and undo as they please and in blue states it is usually need it to be bipartisan and the supreme court can overturn it (and not red states)?
Each state has a supreme court that rules on election issues. That is the court that ruled in NY. State Courts also ruled against GOP in FL and OH and I think the legislature just ignored them.

in any case, the next big thing to keep an eye on is a case in front of the US Supreme Court to decide on the “issue” of “independent legislature”. Essentially, multiple GOP states want the SC to rule that the courts and gov have no role in elections and they get to do what they want. It’s insane, but with this Supreme Court anything is possible.

Oooohhhh, so the perception that gerrymandering benefits mostly Rs is biased probably. thanks
Somewhat. The most egregious gerrymanders have mainly come from Rs, so they definitely garner the media spotlight.

Each state has a supreme court that rules on election issues. That is the court that ruled in NY. State Courts also ruled against GOP in FL and OH and I think the legislature just ignored them.

in any case, the next big thing to keep an eye on is a case in front of the US Supreme Court to decide on the “issue” of “independent legislature”. Essentially, multiple GOP states want the SC to rule that the courts and gov have no role in elections and they get to do what they want. It’s insane, but with this Supreme Court anything is possible.

crazy...Seems that they didn't cope with losing the civil war

I am so glad it looking bad for Blake Masters, he truly is a nasty pos. I know it's early, so I don't want to jinx it!

I just googled the 2018 mid term elections(wiki) and looks like the republicans gained 2 senate seats and held but lost the house (by a big margin).. similar-ish to what is happening now..
It might be a historical trend, but things have changed a lot in the last 10-15 years..

I'm sure there is a lot more to it.. but at the face of it, I was surprised how losing the house was being spun as a positive... especially post Trump.. I expected the GOP to suffer for a few years.
They might, and this could be a start. Or at least it will kick the MAGA wing out of the party in a way. You have to understand that the country and the world are in a much worse place now than they were in 2018 in many ways, and yet people stick with the Democrats (the ruling party) more than they thought.

They might and this could be a start. Or at least kicked MAGA wing out of the party in a way. You have to understand that the country and world is in a much worse place now than in 2018 in many ways and yet people stick with Dem (ruling party) more than they themselves thought.

Or maybe the lazy left went to vote. I don't know if it is like this in US, but in spain, the more turn out, the more the left win. Obviously considering Ds being the most at the left of the 2 major right wing parties in US.

Did 2018 and 2022 turn out bigger than usual?

Or maybe the lazy left went to vote. I don't know if it is like this in US, but in spain, the more turn out, the more the left win. Obviously considering Ds being the most at the left of the 2 major right wing parties in US.

Same. The more vote, the better for Ds.

2018 was a very good midterm turnout. 2022 was much larger.

Well, we will know more about the numbers later, I guess. But, at least for the Congress, it looks very good for Ds in 2024. The economy will recover, and Ds hope it will be by 2024.

Same. The more vote, the better for Ds.

2018 was a very good midterm turnout. 2022 was much larger.

There you go. If only people would turn out to vote...would be more progressive governments. Probably because retairees (right wing mostly) have all the time in the world and young (mostly left) don't give a damn if it is not a crazy situation like with trump

Who is listening to Kevin McCarthy's speech? I find it as laughable as anything the guys from Russian TV would claim as gains in the war against Ukraine for all of the resources that were used.

There you go. If only people would turn out to vote...would be more progressive governments. Probably because retairees (right wing mostly) have all the time in the world and young (mostly left) don't give a damn if it is not a crazy situation like with trump
I heard that many students came out (due to loan forgiveness, climate change, etc.). Biden may look like he is losing it, but he may be one of those lesser-known presidents who enacted some of the most important bills in the history.

I just googled the 2018 mid term elections(wiki) and looks like the republicans gained 2 senate seats and held but lost the house (by a big margin).. similar-ish to what is happening now..
It might be a historical trend, but things have changed a lot in the last 10-15 years..

I'm sure there is a lot more to it.. but at the face of it, I was surprised how losing the house was being spun as a positive... especially post Trump.. I expected the GOP to suffer for a few years.

Senate reversals are not just governed by waves but depend a lot of the seats in play. In general since Clinton, sitting president has been losing the house in mid terms. Obama suffered some catastrophic defeats and even Trump reversal was pretty bad.
This is trending to be the best performance after Bush in 2002 (at the back of war support). When you add the context in terms of inflation, Biden approval numbers then this translates into a L for Republicans. They will still get to play the disruptionist role in house but it signals to them that Trump is going to lose in 2024 if he is their nominee and sink others with him.

Last edited:
I'm a noob in this so sorry. So everyone was predicting so called red wave but Republicans won the house by just slight margin? Is that a crux of it or there's more?

I'm a noob in this so sorry. So everyone was predicting so called red wave but Republicans won the house by just slight margin? Is that a crux of it or there's more?
Seems to be. If you watch Fox News clips it's almost like they lost. Its more of a sign of things to come and it scares them. Trump seems to have lost all his luster, can't wait until he explodes on the GOP as they move away from him.

I'm following from the logic of 2 random accounts who called this result beforehand, this was (roughly) their reasoning:

Republicans chose terrible senate candidates, abortion was a massive issue that polls weren't picking up (and it could be seen in by-elections right after Dobbs, where polling completely missed the results), and finally, after gas prices cooled a bit, Biden's approval went up a decent amount.

One thing I was wrong about was that the Dem strategy to promote GOP Nazis in the primaries worked - apparently they are winning those seats. Again, these 2 random accounts called this beforehand as well.

e - it's genuinely fecking absurd that 2 college students called almost every bit of this better than the polls

I imagine after the polls were so far off in the Presidential Election that they had to adjust severely for 'Trump none responder syndrome'.

Yes. Seems Dems have a good chance to win the Senate. A slight majority in the House would make it ungovernable for McCarthy.

I'm following from the logic of 2 random accounts who called this result beforehand, this was (roughly) their reasoning:

Republicans chose terrible senate candidates, abortion was a massive issue that polls weren't picking up (and it could be seen in by-elections right after Dobbs, where polling completely missed the results), and finally, after gas prices cooled a bit, Biden's approval went up a decent amount.

One thing I was wrong about was that the Dem strategy to promote GOP Nazis in the primaries worked - apparently they are winning those seats. Again, these 2 random accounts called this beforehand as well.

e - it's genuinely fecking absurd that 2 college students called almost every bit of this better than the polls

Worked very well in Maryland for one

Yes. Seems Dems have a good chance to win the Senate. A slight majority in the House would make it ungovernable for McCarthy.

But if it ends like RIGHT NOW as per current leads, House and Senate would be Ds

That's now how the US works. The Dems won 40 seats in the house of reps, republican pickups here look tiny. In addition, senate outcomes are always dependent on which states are in play. About 35+ of the US states vote a certain way regardless of how the country is. The house of Reps is where you see real swings.

The GOP is not going to suffer, and will probably win the presidency in 24.. The country is fecked, but this has been a surprisingly good night so far.
I am certain that this election makes it clear that Trump won't win any reelection again. It is similar to the backlash to abortion ruling by SC. Dems will always turnout to make sure he does not win and good number of independents will not vote for him either. Republicans would clock it as well but might be helpless against his ego and the mad MAGA crowd.