2020 US Elections | Biden certified as President | Dems control Congress

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is Trump declaring victory actually meaningful?

Like does it give him any real leverage or is it just a token gesture? Like boxers when they act like they've won a fight

This is what I can't understand:

Someone else said this in the thread. The average American is just different to the rest of us. I have a hard time wrapping my mind around their attitudes towards guns, healthcare and generally helping their fellow man, but it’s time we accept that around half the country simply think differently to us. I’m not talking about the enlightened American posters we have on here, they’re very similar to the mean line of thought from other places in the world, however it seems like a lot of the citizens of that country simply aren’t.

I am calling this based on actual data and have been right all evening.

People are panicking because Biden's path is shortened.

AZ has gotten really important for Biden.
Bidens plan A is still alive. There is no panic.

Is Trump declaring victory actually meaningful?

Like does it give him any real leverage or is it just a token gesture? Like boxers when they act like they've won a fight
Well, the fear is that certain states are going to be close enough that every vote matters and the GOP-packed courts will find ways to invalidate mail ballots in one way or another.

I mean...

It’s really not surprising. Identity politics have grown in the US, more and more people are becoming entrenched along racial and cultural lines. Trump has created a larger sense of connection amongst the rural voters as the come together to oppose people fighting for racial equality, LGBTQ rights etc. People they think are dismantling their way of life.

Someone else said this in the thread. The average American is just different to the rest of us. I have a hard time wrapping my mind around their attitudes towards guns, healthcare and generally helping their fellow man, but it’s time we accept that around half the country simply think differently to us. I’m not talking about the enlightened American posters we have on here, they’re very similar to the mean line of thought from other places in the world, however it seems like a lot of the citizens of that country simply aren’t.

The average American cares more about the economy and jobs, than guns and healthcare.

Pennsylvania update

Donald Trump is doing well, repeating his 2016 performance in smaller rural areas where counting is now around 95%.

But few votes have been counted in the big areas of Philadelphia, Allegheny and Montgomery - where the Democrats tend to win their votes in the state.

Maybe the other option is worse
If you control the information flow and appeal to the worst in people by offering simple solutions to complex problems (all the while extending your own power/business interests) there's no point for democracy. The age of the internet has really amplified this problem. It's genuinely terrifying regardless of what happens.

This is what I can't understand:

That's completely true. Anyone thinking that this was an anomaly or that we'd get back to 'normal' soon was very optimistic. The culture wars aren't going away and Trump certainly isn't.

You okay with racist politicians then?
No absolutely not. In fact I met trump, I photographed him over 20 years ago for a local fashion Mag and he was absolutely the biggest feckwit I have ever met in my life, but banning a person in a thread because they said they voted for a vile Politician really seems to be pretty shitty to me. It doesnt really seem a heinous enough offence.

It really is a culture war all over the world.
I've started to ignore everything about the culture war over time. Many years ago I followed the latest scandals and would argue with people about it etc. But it has 0 bearing on my life 99% of the time. But when you listen to people, especially conservatives, you notice that they do care about that stuff and they care a lot.

I hope you are right, but the polls seem to be quite off again, and the polls were having PA on less than 4 points for Biden. So far, Trump has been doing 2-4+ points better almost everywhere.

If Trump gets PA, Biden needs to win all three of Arizona, Wisconsin, and Michigan. But that is quite irrelevant, if he gets PA, he likely gets Wisconsin and Michigan too. And in any case, the SC might give one of them to him if needed.
Yeah we will need to see how these swing states go. PA, Winsconsin Michigan are too early to call. Same for Georgia in fact.

I accept Trump turned FL and Ohio red and that caused a lot of depression on the thread, but all its done really is prevent a KO in the opening night against the Trump campaign. It looks like the battleground states are playing out in the balance. Would have been nice to have FL or NC tip blue but still open.

As it stands, 40% of votes have been counted and Joe Biden is leading 57% to 41%.

Polk County - which has a voter population almost double that of any other county in Iowa - has reported 94% of its vote. Biden is leading 57% to 41% there.

Hillary Clinton managed 52% and Obama 56%. In fact in 2012, Polk County made up 16% of Obama's total vote in Iowa.

is there any chance Trump wins without Pennsylvania? Betfair have Trump to win that state @ 1.59 .

I mean...

I'm actually not that surprised. I didn't really expect most trump voters to look at people around them dying (or reading about it in the fake news) and suddenly decided that the pandemic was serious and should vote for the other guy. Covid might've swung some votes from the ones whose family and friends wer actually affected but thats it.

I've started to ignore everything about the culture war over time. Many years ago I followed the latest scandals and would argue with people about it etc. But it has 0 bearing on my life 99% of the time. But when you listen to people, especially conservatives, you notice that they do care about that stuff and they care a lot.
Yes, they absolutely do. Going against the perceived oppressive nature of political correctness is a vote winner in most places, even where political correctness never really held sway in any way or form.

Status
Not open for further replies.