2020 US Elections | Biden certified as President | Dems control Congress

Status
Not open for further replies.

I wish they would throw out this staggered primary process along with the Electoral College and gerrymandering. Iowa (one of the least representative states in the 21st century) gets too much influence because of this

Why is Warren getting better numbers than Sanders (not only in Iowa, but in some other polls I saw too)?

Why is Warren getting better numbers than Sanders (not only in Iowa, but in some other polls I saw too)?

I would say, that this Democratic primary is the primary for women, but that doesn't explain Biden's numbers - and it doesn't explain most other polls I've seen (bernie or biden leading by a distance over the others). Also, this poll has really weird sampling - lots of older voters and lots of Hillary voters as compared to the 2016 turnout.
Still, though his popularity numbers look good, some recent polls have been worrying.

She was fairly popular among progressives before Bernie's juggernaut run in 2015/16, so it stands to reason that she would remain viable for 2020. Bernie hasn't really done anything in the way of posturing himself into the 2020 mix as others have which may explain why he is lagging a bit.

This adds little to this particular discussion, but I'm bored at work and fell down a youtube wormhole and this made me laugh

Its going to be an uphill battle for Democrats to win back the presidency if the economy is as good as it is right now. You might better prepare for a second term.

Wait until they’re campaigning. Warren doesn’t have anything like the public charisma that Sanders has. I actually really like her, but she’s not the right person to run against Trump. It needs a Sanders or Biden who can motivate a crowd and kick his ass in a toe to toe. Harris could do it, but I think this time it needs someone whose been around the block a few times and knows how to street fight while simultaneously looking dignified.

Wait until they’re campaigning. Warren doesn’t have anything like the public charisma that Sanders has. I actually really like her, but she’s not the right person to run against Trump. It needs a Sanders or Biden who can motivate a crowd and kick his ass in a toe to toe. Harris could do it, but I think this time it needs someone whose been around the block a few times and knows how to street fight while simultaneously looking dignified.

Warren has every bit the ability to galvanize a crowd as Biden and Sanders. Harris is a total lightweight. She literally has no constituency that can resonate at a national level.

Warren has every bit the ability to galvanize a crowd as Biden and Sanders. Harris is a total lightweight. She literally has no constituency that can resonate at a national level.

I’ve never seen Warren produce the kind of fire that will resonate with working class voters. She’s great with a college crowd, but a bunch of miners or factory workers? I think not.

I’ve never seen Warren produce the kind of fire that will resonate with working class voters. She’s great with a college crowd, but a bunch of miners or factory workers? I think not.

There really is no such thing as the working class when you consider that manufacturing jobs have been leaving the country for decades. This is now as service economy and it needs someone who understands how to make markets work better within a democratic system. Warren, because she is steeped in the complexities of policy, is far better equipped for that than an 80 year old Sanders at this point. He's been a great cheerleader for good causes but his age is not going to go unnoticed when people are weighing the pros and cons of each candidate.

I worked 105 hours last week which was down on the 112 I've been doing for the last 5 months, in which time I've had 3 days off. I must move to the USA if there's no working class there. Damn!

Once again - he probably can't win a primary but would walk a general election.

S4sbLpL.png

https://news.gallup.com/poll/243539/americans-maintain-positive-view-bernie-sanders.aspx

He resonates well among independents, which would be important to being nationally viable in a POTUS race.

Yes, I agree. But 14 unfavourable among Dems is probably too high for a crowded primary with Biden involved.

I hope we get to see all the Democrats in a debate like the Republicans in 2016 with no backroom deal making. I want to see Bloomberg and Warren, Avenatti and Harris, Booker and Biden, Bernie and Beto* all on the stage together to really see who is the most appealing candidate. No more of the DNC selecting their establishment choice before voters get a say.

It depends how many people are running. They may wind up having to do what the GOP did last time - the top 6 or so go on the main debate and those polling the lowest go on an undercard debate.

I hope we get to see all the Democrats in a debate like the Republicans in 2016 with no backroom deal making. I want to see Bloomberg and Warren, Avenatti and Harris, Booker and Biden, Bernie and Beto* all on the stage together to really see who is the most appealing candidate. No more of the DNC selecting their establishment choice before voters get a say.

Abolish Superdelegates.

It's a shame O'Rourke is too new politically (or at least seems to be) to consider running. Strikes me as the best candidate in regards to balancing progressive policies with pragmatism and also not being about a decade over the retirement age as well. Although if his momentum continues, then always a possibility if party figures start pushing for it to happen.

It's a shame O'Rourke is too new politically (or at least seems to be) to consider running. Strikes me as the best candidate in regards to balancing progressive policies with pragmatism and also not being about a decade over the retirement age as well. Although if his momentum continues, then always a possibility if party figures start pushing for it to happen.

I think it might be too soon, unfortunately. He’s a dead cert, for me, in 2024 or 2028 though.

I think it might be too soon, unfortunately. He’s a dead cert, for me, in 2024 or 2028 though.

Probably. A more brazen individual would perhaps just go for it because he would potentially have a genuine chance, but I get the impression he'll probably want to continue establishing himself first as a top-level politician. Although more time with a ton of attention being piled on him does always create a greater opportunity of scandals emerging etc, especially since I'm sure Fox and co will begin to pile on him if they feel like he's a threat to their agenda.

That might actually work in his favor if he decides to run in 2020. Both Obama and Trump were considered longshots when they decided to run and both won because they quickly connected with their respective constituents (albeit through vastly divergent approaches).

That might actually work in his favor if he decides to run in 2020. Both Obama and Trump were considered longshots when they decided to run and both won because they quickly connected with their respective constituents (albeit through vastly divergent approaches).

True, but in the case of Obama he at least had a few years under his belt as a senator. As I said above a more brazen individual would perhaps just go for it but considering the Primary process will pretty much be underway in a matter of months, I get the impression O'Rourke may not want to go all-out for 2020, instead backing a candidate he supports, and then launching a Presidency bid in 2024 or 2028.

Should Beto run in 2020, it would be a simple choice between him and Bernie. And you know neither would act as despicably as Hillary did.

Considering some of the polls being banded about Biden and Warren very much seem to be in the mix.

Bernie should get Beto as his running mate. They support most of the same policies, with Beto being 3+ decades younger.

Status
Not open for further replies.