2020 US Elections | Biden certified as President | Dems control Congress

Status
Not open for further replies.
Unless another candidate emerges, we may well see a face off between Biden and Sanders . Can't think of any other legitimately viable candidates at this point (although that could of course change).
I guess a year from now the race will have taken shape but I think there Is a good chance we will see a younger candidate emerge (how they will cope with the trump twitter assault will be interesting)

I guess a year from now the race will have taken shape but I think there Is a good chance we will see a younger candidate emerge (how they will cope with the trump twitter assault will be interesting)

There will definitely be a slew of younger candidates but the way the Dem party is currently split up into progressive and centrist factions, the aforementioned two are the standard bearers for both sides and will be very hard to beat if they both decide to run. If on the other hand one of them decides not to run then things will open up.

There will definitely be a slew of younger candidates but the way the Dem party is currently split up into progressive and centrist factions, the aforementioned two are the standard bearers for both sides and will be very hard to beat if they both decide to run. If on the other hand one of them decides not to run then things will open up.
Any chance Clinton chucks her hat in the ring again?

:lol:

A bit like Reagan had his chance in 76 and shouldn't have bothered in 80.

Saunders has as much chance of winning as Corbyn does in uk ie none

Just because people think it's trendy to like someone doesn't mean the mainstream do .

Democrats cheated him in 2016 that was his chance but they wanted Hillary the only person Trump would have beaten at that time .
Kamala Harris is the only sane choice to beat Trump now

Exactly what the Democrat establishment want and possibly why Pelosi is still hanging round . Would be another disaster though

Saunders has as much chance of winning as Corbyn does in uk ie none

Just because people think it's trendy to like someone doesn't mean the mainstream do .

Democrats cheated him in 2016 that was his chance but they wanted Hillary the only person Trump would have beaten at that time .
Kamala Harris is the only sane choice to beat Trump now

There's no one in the US Presidential field named "Saudners".

Harris doesn't have a chance as she would need to beat Sanders or Biden to get there.

Unless another candidate emerges, we may well see a face off between Biden and Sanders . Can't think of any other legitimately viable candidates at this point (although that could of course change).

I can definitely see a young progressive in the mould of Bernie coming from nowhere and taking the nomination, with an endorsement from Bernie. Who that is though, I'm not sure.

I can definitely see a young progressive in the mould of Bernie coming from nowhere and taking the nomination, with an endorsement from Bernie. Who that is though, I'm not sure.

Beto might run and could definitely emerge into that mold, but if Sanders runs that would obviously snuff out any chances of a progressive leaning younger candidate to gain any significant traction.

What about that pretty girl that appears on my twitter feed all day. (Alexandra Ocasio)

you can tell she is a genuinely good person, and very smart as well.

Bernie and her together would be a force to reckon with.

What about that pretty girl that appears on my twitter feed all day. (Alexandra Ocasio)

She would be too young.

She is too young(28). You have to be over 35 to run for president.

She would be too young.
She is too young(28). You have to be over 35 to run for president.

But as Vice president for Bernie? (The same age restriction applies?)

Well, i hope she keeps the same style and kindness till she is able to participate in big elections.

Also the mayor of Albuquerque is fecking awesome, and a metal head. He should be getting more noise too.

But as Vice president for Bernie? (The same age restriction applies?)

Well, i hope she keeps the same style and kindness till she is able to participate in big elections.

Also the mayor of Albuquerque is fecking awesome, and a metal head. He should be getting more noise too.
I think so. But there seems to be a decent number of candidates coming forward now although the important bit is the political program that most Dems will run on looks a million times better than last time.

:lol: love it, typical liberal told of actual rules and reality...(i.e. she can't even stand!)

I personally think she’d do it. She can win the Dem primary the same way Trump won the GOP primary last time.

She has a hardcore 30-40% or so support and that’d be enough to secure the nomination.

She sees it as her destiny and many people do too.

I personally think she’d do it. She can win the Dem primary the same way Trump won the GOP primary last time.

She has a hardcore 30-40% or so support and that’d be enough to secure the nomination.

She sees it as her destiny and many people do too.

had

Things have changed over the past 24 months.

had

Things have changed over the past 24 months.
We will see... there are plenty of Hillary supporters, those who agree with her hawkish position and not Bernie’s.

I get that the Bernie bros are far more vocal, but she has the name recognition, the super pacs and the propaganda machine ready to go.

Unless the next Obama comes out from somewhere, I’m pretty sure she can take on Biden and Bernie

We will see... there are plenty of Hillary supporters, those who agree with her hawkish position and not Bernie’s.

I get that the Bernie bros are far more vocal, but she has the name recognition, the super pacs and the propaganda machine ready to go.

Unless the next Obama comes out from somewhere, I’m pretty sure she can take on Biden and Bernie

I'm sure there are quite a few but the enthusiasm and energy have shifted towards domestic policies like healthcare, education etc.

I'm sure there are quite a few but the enthusiasm and energy have shifted towards domestic policies like healthcare, education etc.
The thing about Hillary is that her position is flexible, if she thinks the country is ready for single payer, she will say she supports single payer.

Anyway, whilst I agree with her position (to keep a close tap on China), I don’t really want her to run.

The thing about Hillary is that her position is flexible, if she thinks the country is ready for single payer, she will say she supports single payer.

Anyway, whilst I agree with her position (to keep a close tap on China), I don’t really want her to run.

Also worth remembering that Biden would promote a vast majority of policies Hillary would, so that wing/view would be supported in his candidacy.

If you want to guarantee Trump wins a second term, put up the rematch. If the Democrats want to win, they should be empowering the young intelligent Democrats like Kamela Harris, Beto,etc that will actually inspire progressive and independent voters. Also they must retire failed leadership like Pelosi, Feinstein ASAP.

If I had a vote I would vote for Avenatti :D. He has a progressive agenda and he would totally troll the hell out of trump. :lol:

If you want to guarantee Trump wins a second term, put up the rematch. If the Democrats want to win, they should be empowering the young intelligent Democrats like Kamela Harris, Beto,etc that will actually inspire progressive and independent voters. Also they must retire failed leadership like Pelosi, Feinstein ASAP.

Harris has no mass appeal.

Harris has no mass appeal.

You and @Eboue both mentioned that and I get it but I wasn't even meaning for President necessarily just moving the new generation into leadership. She has far more mass appeal than Feinstein, Schumer and the past their expiration date leadership that refuse to give up their power like aristocrats. Personally I think Harris has more appeal than people like Booker and is much more competent than Feinstein

I guess Beto is the sweet spot that can inspire voters from you to Eboue

You and @Eboue both mentioned that and I get it but I wasn't even meaning for President necessarily just moving the new generation into leadership. She has far more mass appeal than Feinstein, Schumer and the past their expiration date leadership that refuse to give up their power like aristocrats. Personally I think Harris has more appeal than people like Booker and is much more competent than Feinstein

I guess Beto is the sweet spot that can inspire voters from you to Eboue

She definitely has more appeal than Feinstein but in terms of generating enthusiasm among voters...I don't think there's much there. She comes across as more of a policy wonk who is better at rolling up her sleeves and getting steeped in the minutiae of legislation than a great campaigner who animates the base.

Beto on the other hand, has potential to move elections.

Personally I think Harris has more appeal than people like Booker and is much more competent than Feinstein

those are both true and yet she still has no appeal to the left. i wouldnt vote beto if the primary was 2018 but im willing to see how things go in the next couple years. (assuming he wins)

Somebody tell me about Beto please.

What do you want to know ?

Just a basic profile policy/personality-wise. Always interested to see another Irish-American name rising high in US politics.

Just a basic profile policy/personality-wise. Always interested to see another Irish-American name rising high in US politics.

Born and raised in El Paso. Started his political career as a city council man from 2005-11 and then got elected to the congressional seat that covers El Paso in 2012ish. Policy wise he is hard to pigeon hole into one category or the other since he supports various policies that appeal to both progressives and centrists. Seems like he has a fairly solid moral compass on policy - supports single payer healthcare, an assault weapons ban, is in favor of a limited version of Sanders free state level education policy (in Beto's case he seems to limit it to "in demand" fields of study only), is for immigration reform and no wall, takes only small contributions from citizens (no corporate or PAC money).

All things said he's a hybrid candidate who seems able to speak to both factions in the party, which is something maybe only one or two other Dems can do at the moment. He's also very positive and doesn't attack his opponents which as Cruz is finding out, makes it very difficult to go negative on him without estranging independents.

Depending on how he does, probably a strong contender for higher office going forward.

Last edited:

I don't know about him at all but I have seen how the online left reacted to him... surprisngly positive. I'm sure you've seen what Eboue and me (like other lefitsts) think of centrist Dems, so that surprised me. He hasn't really committed to a centre or left program, so I think the reason the left likes him is because he has some innate charm, has been campaigning extremely hard, and because it's Texas, and even a centrist would be a massive step up from Cruz.
That said, Doug Jones, campaigning against the alleged paedeophile Roy Moore last year, campaigned on a decent centre-left hybrid platform but has voted with Trump 60% of the time, which is amazingly bad and a cautionary tale.

I don't know about him at all but I have seen how the online left reacted to him... surprisngly positive. I'm sure you've seen what Eboue and me (like other lefitsts) think of centrist Dems, so that surprised me. He hasn't really committed to a centre or left program, so I think the reason the left likes him is because he has some innate charm, has been campaigning extremely hard, and because it's Texas, and even a centrist would be a massive step up from Cruz.
That said, Doug Jones, campaigning against the alleged paedeophile Roy Moore last year, campaigned on a decent centre-left hybrid platform but has voted with Trump 60% of the time, which is amazingly bad and a cautionary tale.

Jones ran on a distinctly centrist platform last year as he knew running to the far left is a non-starter in his state and would've resulted in Moore winning.

Status
Not open for further replies.