2020 US Elections | Biden certified as President | Dems control Congress

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jesus if I was rich and in my late 70’s I’d want to be watching cricket in hot countries with my time not fighting to be the president

McKinsey? Nah, they're just full of themselves.

McKinsey's fingerprints can be found at the scene of some of the most spectacular corporate and financial debacles of recent decades. The energy-trading firm Enron was the creation of Jeff Skilling, a proud McKinsey consultant of 21 years. But this wasn't guilt by association. Enron, under Mr Skilling, was paying McKinsey $10m (£6m) a year for advice. McKinsey fully endorsed the dubious accounting methods that caused the company to implode in 2001.

The consultancy also advised virtually all of the Wall Street banks in the unprecedented credit boom of the past decade. Its consultants, as Mr McDonald chronicles, actively promoted the securitisation of mortgage assets, the practice that poisoned the global financial system and precipitated the 2008 credit meltdown.

The firm also encouraged the banks to fund their balance sheets with debt, driving down their equity safety buffers in order to juice profits.

Personal corruption has touched the highest echelons of McKinsey. The firm was headed for 10 years by Rajat Gupta, who was convicted in the US for insider trading in 2012. Mr Gupta passed on confidential information on corporations to a billionaire hedge fund friend. Mr Gupta had left the firm when he committed his crimes, but another senior serving McKinsey partner was also involved in the ring of insider dealing.

Like, sure, ‘we’ll work for you as long as you pay us well’ is the corporate mantra, but surely a Rhodes scholar Harvard graduate can afford to be literally anywhere else?

I don't think Biden stands a chance.

He is the front runner at this moment. What will be interesting is how the polls start to shift once he starts committing gaffes and more damaging stories are published.

"
As the ranking minority member of the committee since 1981, Mr. Biden had helped pass two bills establishing mandatory minimums for drug offenses. But as chairman, facing high violent crime rates, a crack cocaine epidemic, and accusations by Republicans that his party was soft on crime, Mr. Biden wanted holistic reform.

The effort, which defined much of his time as committee chairman, culminated in the 1994 Violent Crime Control and Law Enforcement Act, a sweeping, bipartisan bill that touched nearly every aspect of American law enforcement that was signed into law by President Bill Clinton.

More than two decades later, that legislation is once again the subject of fierce debate — this time, as a bipartisan coalition of activists and lawmakers seeks to undo the era of mass incarceration they say the 1994 crime bill helped create."

https://www.nytimes.com/2015/08/22/...ime-law-could-haunt-any-presidential-bid.html

This alone should disqualify Biden from running for President for the Democrat party (he'd make a good Republican candidate though). And that's even before his Anita Hill stuff and all the rest.

Five decades, really. Using few is acceptable in that sense.

The integrity of US involvement in the world wars is unquestionable. Korea is debatable and probably lands on the side of just considering how well South Korea is doing. Only from the late 1960s do things start to become morally bankrupt.

Didn't they only join WWII because Japan got a little full of itself and did Pearl Harbour?

They'd have gladly left us to it if it wasn't for that surely?

"
As the ranking minority member of the committee since 1981, Mr. Biden had helped pass two bills establishing mandatory minimums for drug offenses. But as chairman, facing high violent crime rates, a crack cocaine epidemic, and accusations by Republicans that his party was soft on crime, Mr. Biden wanted holistic reform.

The effort, which defined much of his time as committee chairman, culminated in the 1994 Violent Crime Control and Law Enforcement Act, a sweeping, bipartisan bill that touched nearly every aspect of American law enforcement that was signed into law by President Bill Clinton.

More than two decades later, that legislation is once again the subject of fierce debate — this time, as a bipartisan coalition of activists and lawmakers seeks to undo the era of mass incarceration they say the 1994 crime bill helped create."

https://www.nytimes.com/2015/08/22/...ime-law-could-haunt-any-presidential-bid.html

This alone should disqualify Biden from running for President for the Democrat party (he'd make a good Republican candidate though). And that's even before his Anita Hill stuff and all the rest.

Almost every horrible decision in the last 40 years has Joe Biden involved somehow. Hes like Forest Gump except for racism and hating poor people. I'd rather vote for Joe Budden.

I love his song "Lose Yourself".

His hands on on her sweater already
Bud's spaghetti
Is getting longer and it's stronger
As he leans in for the kiss
He gives a little squeeze
She feels something amiss
As he presses up against her
He is the most friendliest
VP, Joe B, that you ever did see
Mike P, Al G got nothing on he
Hide your kids, hide your wife
for his presidency

His hands on on her sweater already
Bud's spaghetti
Is getting longer and it's stronger
As he leans in for the kiss
He gives a little squeeze
She feels something amiss
As he presses up against her
He is the most friendliest
VP, Joe B, that you ever did see
Mike P, Al G got nothing on he
Hide your kids, hide your wife
for his presidency

If you play it backwards it talks about how Hectic died in Switzerland about 6 weeks ago after being swatted by the FBI

Like, sure, ‘we’ll work for you as long as you pay us well’ is the corporate mantra, but surely a Rhodes scholar Harvard graduate can afford to be literally anywhere else?
Oh, I know of their shenanigans. I just don't think they're that influential. They're often brought in to do work and justify things that company management already wanted to do anyways. It's used as a stepping stone, or a stamp even, on someone's CV. Something even beyond a Harvard degree.

Also I figured out the trick to the high fees that consulting and law firms get to collect often times when I started looking at public companies a few years ago: often when a company is going through a merger or even just a tough time they bring in the consultants and lawyers, pay them the cash for the hours billed, but those expenses are usually classified in the financial accounts as 'non-recurring' and the company states a higher profit number excluding these amounts. The official accounts still reflect the costs, but market analysts largely accept the company's interpretation of what's non-recurring and goes along (to my dismay). So the management hiring the consultants and lawyers aren't that sensitive to how much the cost is going to come out as.

Really? She seemed like such a staunch Bernie supporter. Biden is the polar opposite...

A lot of Sanders alum are working with other candidates this cycle. At least a half a dozen have moved to Beto. The likes of Weaver, DeVine, and S Sanders seem to have moved on.

Status
Not open for further replies.