2020 US Elections | Biden certified as President | Dems control Congress

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's a shame Warren doesn't seem charismatic and skilled enough to mount a proper challenge, in an ideal world she'd potentially serve as a good bridge between the two competing wings of the party. Ultimately can't see her going too far, although she could serve as a key player in regards to who she endorses afterwards.

She fecked herself by not entering in 2016. I think she's too school marm'y to win over a lot of Americans anyway, but she could have locked up the progressive left back then. Instead she stood back and let Bernie lead the charge, and now there's just no oxygen left in the room for her to mount a challenge (unless he drops out).

I think it's also worth bearing in mind though that when she falls by the wayside a LOT of her supporters are almost certainly going straight into Bernie's column. I think that's significant in terms of the Bernie-Biden matchup.

She fecked herself by not entering in 2016. I think she's too school marm'y to win over a lot of Americans anyway, but she could have locked up the progressive left back then. Instead she stood back and let Bernie lead the charge, and now there's just no oxygen left in the room for her to mount a challenge (unless he drops out).

I think it's also worth bearing in mind though that when she falls by the wayside a LOT of her supporters are almost certainly going straight into Bernie's column. I think that's significant in terms of the Bernie-Biden matchup.

Chances are if she’s trailing Sanders now she wouldn’t have fared much better in 16. He’s simply a more effective communicator for the progressive leftist cause. Some of the people who support Sanders actually think he’s a bit pragmatic on some things (guns, drones etc), so someone like Warren wouldn’t fare well with them, which is why it’s not a good idea to presume Warren voters would automatically go to Sanders. Some would and others would go to the likes of Beto and Harris.

Chances are if she’s trailing Sanders now she wouldn’t have fared much better in 16. He’s simply a more effective communicator for the progressive leftist cause. Some of the people who support Sanders actually think he’s a bit pragmatic on some things (guns, drones etc), so someone like Warren wouldn’t fare well with them, which is why it’s not a good idea to presume Warren voters would automatically go to Sanders. Some would and others would go to the likes of Beto and Harris.

It was literally the "draft Warren" campaign that turned into the early core of Bernie's supporters. She missed that moment, and then did a non-endorsement, which I know has hurt her among some Bernie supporters.

It was literally the "draft Warren" campaign that turned into the early core of Bernie's supporters. She missed that moment, and then did a non-endorsement, which I know has hurt her among some Bernie supporters.

Yeah this. Warren was the poster child for the progressive left at the time and the movement was hers for the taking. By refusing to even support Bernie later she came across as cowardly. I’m sure she had good pragmatic reasons for her decisions, but when you’re supposedly representing anti-establishment change, it’s not a good look to sit back and say ‘yeah, maybe later’.

That may have been the sentiment at the time but we’ve since seen that she neither has the verve or charisma to appeal to the progressive wing in a way that Sanders has, so even if she ran in 16, chances are she would’ve been little more than a liberal alternative and runner up to Hillary. Some candidates have what it takes to appeal to broad swaths of the electorate and others don’t. She is more in the latter category.

What's the deal with his tax returns anyway? He's been saying he's going to release them for over three years now. It's only logical to assume there's stuff in there that doesn't look good.

What's the deal with his tax returns anyway? He's been saying he's going to release them for over three years now. It's only logical to assume there's stuff in there that doesn't look good.
I wanna say there’s nothing to hide but it’s not a good look to not release them.

he has appeared on FOX, Tucker Carlson and now Ben Shapiro. Quite a big audience there
And the responses in the comments have been way more positive than negative. Disagree with his UBI implementation all you want, but you gotta admit he is the least divisive candidate for both sides especially for someone who proposes progressive policies.

Beto is more the corpse of shaggy rogers which has been possessed by a corporate marketing agent

he has appeared on FOX, Tucker Carlson and now Ben Shapiro. Quite a big audience there

A big audience of people who vote Republican. All credit to Yang for getting to the debates, which seems very likely now, but he'll get nowhere near the Democratic nomination. His problem isn't only that people don't know who he is, it's that even among people who know who he is, he simply isn't very popular.

A big audience of people who vote Republican. All credit to Yang for getting to the debates, which seems very likely now, but he'll get nowhere near the Democratic nomination. His problem isn't only that people don't know who he is, it's that even among people who know who he is, he simply isn't very popular.

Getting into the debates would be success for Yang since it would bring the entire UBI issue front and center.

Too early to write him off. UBI could be a big hit come debate time, and also, the guy knows how to talk policy and defend himself. He'll stand out in the debates imo.

Too early to write him off. UBI could be a big hit come debate time, and also, the guy knows how to talk policy and defend himself. He'll stand out in the debates imo.

Its doubtful Yang will gain much more traction. Even Sanders doesn't support UBI.

I'm dubious of any poll that has Booker at 9% and above people like Mayor Butti, Yang and Warren who already have made more impact nationally. I struggle to see where Booker gets any support outside his home state.

I'm dubious of any poll that has Booker at 9% and above people like Mayor Butti, Yang and Warren who already have made more impact nationally. I struggle to see where Booker gets any support outside his home state.

So do I but if there's one place Booker could do ok is in SC.

So do I but if there's one place Booker could do ok is in SC.

He reps New Jersey and attended Stanford, Yale and Oxford with no connection to South Carolina. I see him as kind of the opposite profile of a SC Democrat unless you think its because of the corporatism?

Status
Not open for further replies.