2020 US Elections | Biden certified as President | Dems control Congress

Status
Not open for further replies.
After panic scrolling my phone this morning it looks like the only thing that happened is that AZ is going to take longer because Trumpers are assholes. Today better be a good day.

30 min before this tweet, GA SoS briefed that there were 90,735 votes left to be counted.

Since then, 21,764 have been added to the count. There’s a big lag in reporting.

Got it, thanks. Wish I could just have slept through these 72 hours!

I’m sure Obama to Trump was a facsimile of the intent of those.

Dear Mr. President -

Congratulations on a remarkable run. Millions have placed their hopes in you, and all of us, regardless of party, should hope for expanded prosperity and security during your tenure.

This is a unique office, without a clear blueprint for success, so I don't know that any advice from me will be particularly helpful. Still, let me offer a few reflections from the past 8 years.

First, we've both been blessed, in different ways, with great good fortune. Not everyone is so lucky. It's up to us to do everything we can (to) build more ladders of success for every child and family that's willing to work hard.

Second, American leadership in this world really is indispensable. It's up to us, through action and example, to sustain the international order that's expanded steadily since the end of the Cold War, and upon which our own wealth and safety depend.

Third, we are just temporary occupants of this office. That makes us guardians of those democratic institutions and traditions -- like rule of law, separation of powers, equal protection and civil liberties -- that our forebears fought and bled for. Regardless of the push and pull of daily politics, it's up to us to leave those instruments of our democracy at least as strong as we found them.

And finally, take time, in the rush of events and responsibilities, for friends and family. They'll get you through the inevitable rough patches.

Michelle and I wish you and Melania the very best as you embark on this great adventure, and know that we stand ready to help in any ways which we can.

Good luck and Godspeed,

BO

He clearly knew what was coming.

And we play Everton in 47 hours. We’ve gotta have some closure by then.
CNN is saying that WI,PA,AZ and GA will likely go to recount if Trump wins so, we'll likely have to wait for a long time to get that closure.

How come the Guardian is giving 264 electoral votes while cnn is only giving him 254 to Biden?

CNN is saying that WI,PA,AZ and GA will likely go to recount if Trump wins so, we'll likely have to wait for a long time to get that closure.
At least the potential result will be on display. That’s the first step in this process. That’s an element of closure. Not expecting miracles here.

Bookies change with poll predictions - not sure what’s been so hard for people to work out here.

Your premise was that they're rarely wrong when it's so close to the time, and inherently their prior predictions should be discarded as just a loose projection based on limited evidence. But now they've got the evidence, they're rarely wrong. Bookies have a special insight into this thing that is worth paying attention to, and the only reason you wouldn't pay attention to the fact their predictions have flipped again and again is just because that was before things had really kicked off.

If the premise is that the odds just move with the whims of the market at the time then the idea that we should start paying attention when you said we should is highly questionable, on reflection. We shouldn't afford them this status of being highly predictive if they move around quite so much.

You could, especially when discussing the ignorant batshittery. But, what, it’s 80/20 religious v. not currently?
I would say yes, 80-90% would claim to be a member of one religion or another, but the vast majority of those would break every tenet of them for personal gain. I’m especially looking at you evangelicals

I would say yes, 80-90% would claim to be a member of one religion or another, but the vast majority of those would break every tenet of them for personal gain. I’m especially looking at you evangelicals
That’s the key ignorant batshittery alright.

Thank you @SirAF. I'll take this from here. @Tarrou and many others have asked about betting odds.

Just for clarity, Betfair offers in-running betting on the presidential race. What it does it offer immediate information where the presidential race is at - that very second. How you interpret this information is up to you, but clearly this interpretation is based upon your IQ and grasp of maths / politics.

I have 4 jobs, yes im a commentator on Sky News , yes Treasa May and myself had an argie bargie which made front page of UK newspapers, yes I'm presently holding a call between NYC* and Madrid. I dont have time to read the c0cks on redcafe (No offence to niall) who are spamming like fcuk waiting on Tom King to tell us "they are counting because that's what they do?"

So in short - use Betfair to get an instant view on the situation.

He's 1/7 at present btw. Fcuk the haters

Your premise was that they're rarely wrong when it's so close to the time, and inherently their prior predictions should be discarded as just a loose projection based on limited evidence. But now they've got the evidence, they're rarely wrong. Bookies have a special insight into this thing that is worth paying attention to, and the only reason you wouldn't pay attention to the fact their predictions have flipped again and again is just because that was before things had really kicked off.

If the premise is that the odds just move with the whims of the market at the time then the idea that we should start paying attention when you said we should is highly questionable, on reflection. We shouldn't afford them this status of being highly predictive if they move around quite so much.
Based on what I saw early in the election day, the odds didn't account for the intricacies of the mail in ballots at all. I was heavily tempted to put in some money for Biden @ 4 on the election day because of what I knew about mail in ballots but I chickened out simply because I thought bookies had some sort of insight that I was missing. Now looking back, it looks like they simply react to the vote count and the margins and swing around even when something that is expected to happen happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.