2020 US Elections | Biden certified as President | Dems control Congress

Status
Not open for further replies.
She is still a capitalist who fully believes in American institutions and their role in shaping the social and economic playing field. She doesn’t acknowledge how broken these institutions are. I also don’t think she is gojng to break up the big banks either. Regulation is only the bare minimum if you ask me. To usher in change and allow social mobility for population that have been neglected for decades, one needs to dig deeper than just regulation. I also think it is fecking stupid to trust a politician who says shite like “I’ll make sure the markets work for the working population”.

She was an activist who took up politics and has worked consistently to put restrictions in place. She's the very definition of someone taking up politics because how things are broken. Anyway, let's disagree then

Not particularly surprising given the Cali connection.

She endorsed Clinton in 2016. Progressive but loyal party soldier.
I guess.

I get the Sanders stuff because he's not a democratic(It's stupid reasoning but whatever)but when you consider yourself a "progressive" and there's a progressive actually running in the race now - Warren, it just well stupid to back someone like Harris for whatever reason.

There is such a giant gray zone on what makes someone a progressive.

I guess.

I get the Sanders stuff because he's not a democratic(It's stupid reasoning but whatever)but when you consider yourself a "progressive" and there's a progressive actually running in the race now - Warren, it just well stupid to back someone like Harris for whatever reason.

There is such a giant gray zone on what makes someone a progressive.

Ordinarily this would make sense, but in Harris' case, she and Lee are both from the same City and are probably very close.

He's not wrong. Clean air is exactly the kind of good that economics dictates won't be provided for by private enterprise. It's the reason the government should exist, even to the most free market of free marketeers.

He's not wrong. Clean air is exactly the kind of good that economics dictates won't be provided for by private enterprise. It's the reason the government should exist, even to the most free market of free marketeers.
This is correct and it is not even a left wing, or anti-capitalist position. Steven Pinker has said the exact same thing in the middle of a pro-capitalism speech

From a primary perspective, it would be bad news for everyone else as he'd siphon off votes from both establishment and progressives.
I say Harris particularly because I imagine she expects to do very well in the south-Beto would be a real challenger there. She has more to lose in that sense than Bernie. I also think he’s closer to Harris than, for example, Bernie, and Harris as the establishment pick (currently) is more likely to get “fair-weather” voters (Bernie’s base are very devout) whom are easy to lose especially to someone like Beto.

I say Harris particularly because I imagine she expects to do very well in the south-Beto would be a real challenger there. She has more to lose in that sense than Bernie. I also think he’s closer to Harris than, for example, Bernie, and Harris as the establishment pick (currently) is more likely to get “fair-weather” voters (Bernie’s base are very devout) whom are easy to lose especially to someone like Beto.

Ahh right...I see what you mean. From an age perspective, I think the older candidates would stand to lose out the most if a popular younger one were to enter the race. People are looking for an excuse to avoid voting for a candidate pushing 80, and Beto entering the race would do just that.

Buttegieg talks a good game. I can see him gradually creeping up the polls from the bottom to somewhere in the middle, possibly positioning himself as a potential VP pick

Ahh right...I see what you mean. From an age perspective, I think the older candidates would stand to lose out the most if a popular younger one were to enter the race. People are looking for an excuse to avoid voting for a candidate pushing 80, and Beto entering the race would do just that.
Yeah I get that! Wouldn’t those people concerned about age not be voting for the older candidate anyway though?

Last edited:
Buttegieg talks a good game. I can see him gradually creeping up the polls from the bottom to somewhere in the middle, possibly positioning himself as a potential VP pick

Talks a lot of sense. Does he have realistic chances or one for the future?

Not sure about this cycle, but its clear he has a pretty big political future ahead.
Just read his wikipedia. Didn't realize he's just 37 (looks it but you never know from TV interviews), certainly an interesting biography with all the hallmarks. Trying to get my head around the fact that he went to Afghanistan after being elected Mayor... admirable.

I know it shouldn't play a role, but going from the first black president to trump to the first openly homosexual president would also be delightful.

Status
Not open for further replies.