2016 US Presidential Elections | Trump Wins

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cruz and his wife apparently went straight to Sheldon Adelson's booth to beg for money but were turned away.

He wanted to be seen as a martyr, but is now seen as an opportunistic snitch and rightly so. There's a reason why Reagan eventually endorsed Ford in '76 after a clusterfeck of a convention. Republicans don't like lone wolves.

4 years from now, he'll still get his base vote, but the Trump crowd won't forget, and good luck courting the establishment crowd if Ryan or Marcobot runs.

He wanted to be seen as a martyr, but is now seen as an opportunistic snitch and rightly so. There's a reason why Reagan eventually endorsed Ford in '76 after a clusterfeck of a convention. Republicans don't like lone wolves.

4 years from now, he'll still get his base vote, but the Trump crowd won't forget, and good luck courting the establishment crowd if Ryan or Marcobot runs.

Trump won't be there in 4 years, but the politicians will remember this, like they always do.

From Mark Levin, who is a Ted Cruz mouthpiece.

https://www.conservativereview.com/...eagan-did-not-endorse-ford-at-1976-convention

I can't wait to see how many Trump supporters end up denying it ever happened. It's bound to happen at some point. Maybe when Hilary beats him or when the next election comes around. He will be so poisonous and everyone will distance themselves from him greatly. Imagine looking back a couple of years and remembering that you supported Donald Trump for president.

Watched the Ted Cruz speech . Always wondered if that hollering and cheering is built into the American peoples DNA . They cheered and hollered through what was a Republican speech with actual substance and then effortlessly turned to booing him when he never endorsed Trump. What were they expecting.? Trump attacks his wife and father and expects Cruz to step in line?. Only in America it seems.

Last edited:
Money for what?

Adelson is worth $25billion and often splashes the cash for Republican candidates he likes and more importantly, who staunchly support Israel.

Adelson had suite at the convention and had invited Cruz and his wife to meet with them after Cruz's speech. However once Cruz did his speech and didn't endorse Trump, when Cruz and his wife made their way to Adelson's area, security blocked them from going in. Moments later, Trump and his kids met with Adelson.

Cruz trying to pull a Reagan is hilarious. Reagan had charisma enough to pull off a lone wolf card, Cruz is villain enough to turn people off on a good day.

Pretty much. The clowncar populism that has emerged both on the left and right in US politics is directly attributable to identity, culture, and economic opportunity. Wealth is coagulating among elites at the expense of democracy and opportunity for the masses, which is opening the door for the likes of Trump and Sanders to connect with various large constituencies.

Yep.

I'm always surprised how reluctant mainstream politicians are to abandon the center ground. The old instinct to never offend anybody is too strong. Even when there's a clear constituency for something revolutionary, they won't mount the barricades.

So fecking typical. Now, how many Irish immigrants have flooded into America, England, Australia, New Zealand et al?

I'm sure most would've preferred to stay out of Australia, since they often arrived at his Majesty's pleasure, transported halfway around the world for 'treason against the Crown', or asserting the Irish people's ownership of their own land, as we might call it now.

The voyage to the America's wasn't a happy experience either. The Irish may have suffered higher mortality rates on 'coffin ships' to the New World than black slaves crossing the Atlantic from the shores of Gambia. Slave owners had more regard for their valuable human cargoes than ship proprietors, once they'd paid for their passage, for the welfare of poor Irish immigrants.

The Irish exodus was hardly voluntary, and they weren't tolerated in their places of exile for reasons of charity or morality. The new lands needed new people to fill them. The Irish were reluctantly accepted for that reason. It was strictly a quid pro quo.

Once America was full, it shut its doors. It's immigration policy during the first 150 years of its existence was driven by self-interest. Which is the only sensible basis for immigration policy today. What is in the best interest of the people who already live in the country? But now, unlike in the past, the consequences for all the nation's citizens has to be weighed in the balance in a modern democracy, not just the rich and the powerful.

I'm sure most would've preferred to stay out of Australia, since they often arrived at his Majesty's pleasure, transported halfway around the world for 'treason against the Crown', or asserting the Irish people's ownership of their own land, as we might call it now.

The voyage to the America's wasn't a happy experience either. The Irish may have suffered higher mortality rates on 'coffin ships' to the New World than black slaves crossing the Atlantic from the shores of Gambia. Slave owners had more regard for their valuable human cargoes than ship proprietors, once they'd paid for their passage, for the welfare of poor Irish immigrants.

The Irish exodus was hardly voluntary, and they weren't tolerated in their places of exile for reasons of charity or morality. The new lands needed new people to fill them. The Irish were reluctantly accepted for that reason. It was strictly a quid pro quo.

Once America was full, it shut its doors. It's immigration policy during the first 150 years of its existence was driven by self-interest. Which is the only sensible basis for immigration policy today. What is in the best interest of the people who already live in the country? But now, unlike in the past, the consequences for all the nation's citizens has to be weighed in the balance in a modern democracy, not just the rich and the powerful.

Are you somehow suggesting that Black slaves were better off than Irish immigrants? I'm sorry man, that sounds entirely wrong. Slaves were not treated as priced commodity, slave owners knew where to get more of them if people died. I don't know if you are trolling here.

Are you somehow suggesting that Black slaves were better off than Irish immigrants? I'm sorry man, that sounds entirely wrong. Slaves were not treated as priced commodity, slave owners knew where to get more of them if people died. I don't know if you are trolling here.

He isn't.

I wasn't equating the conditions of Irish immigrants and black slaves, just comparing death rates in the transatlantic voyage which brought both to the New World. Which is often cited by historians as a particularly hellish part of the black slave experience.

This election has been so crazy with so many WTF moments that I'd forgotten about.

I just remembered that Cruz had announced Fiorina as his running mate despite being on the verge of losing (dropped out a week or two later) and she sang a creepy lullaby in her first speech.

I just remembered that Cruz had announced Fiorina as his running mate despite being on the verge of losing (dropped out a week or two later) and she sang a creepy lullaby in her first speech.

:lol: Iirc he announced her two days before Trump got over the delegate count line. The creepy song she sang to Cruz's kids should be in a horror movie somewhere. It really wouldn't be out of place in something like Poltergeist or The Shining.

New lands??? They were needed to be filled? More like they were needed to help take over these "new" lands, and by the massive size of the Irish migration, they were more than desperate to get out of Ireland and to help take over, and most likely grateful to assist seeing as they were dying in droves from the famine. Don´t tell me the Maoris, Australian aborigines and Native Americans were happy to have the Irish come and fill their lands and assist in the some of the greatest genocides known to man. Like it or not, the European Irish, forced to flee their homeland, became full participants in the land theft and genocide. At least the immigrants Ireland would receive nowadays would come to work the shit jobs and not to forceable take your land and victimize you lot with an aggressive, violent white supremacism.

The Irish seemed to get an extremely good deal in all this, considering the circumstances, and with time flourished.

New lands??? They were needed to be filled? More like they were needed to help take over these "new" lands, and by the massive size of the Irish migration, they were more than desperate to get out of Ireland and to help take over, and most likely grateful to assist seeing as they were dying in droves from the famine. Don´t tell me the Maoris, Australian aborigines and Native Americans were happy to have the Irish come and fill their lands and assist in the some of the greatest genocides known to man. Like it or not, the European Irish, forced to flee their homeland, became full participants in the land theft and genocide. At least the immigrants Ireland would receive nowadays would come to work the shit jobs and not to forceable take your land and victimize you lot with an aggressive, violent white supremacism.

The Irish seemed to get an extremely good deal in all this, considering the circumstances, and with time flourished.

Liam Hogan is the go-to guy on this topic these days. Fabulous research and debunking of the type of Irish slave myths that white supremacists peddle
https://medium.com/@Limerick1914

As far as I know, this was a real image from last night

iySyPTS.jpg

Jaysus! I didn't even know it was a 'topic'. My entire post was made up on the hoof based on general reading. You learn something every day, I guess.

A very interesting topic. There is no doubt that our ancestors had a hellish time, but it is equally true that quite a few of them revelled in inflicting the same torture on others, which this historian has done great work in collating and making public. More slavemastery than the slavemasters themselves, as they say...

A very interesting topic. There is no doubt that our ancestors had a hellish time, but it is equally true that quite a few of them revelled in inflicting the same torture on others, which this historian has done great work in collating and making public. More slavemastery than the slavemasters themselves, as they say...
Indeed, quite a few Irish immigrants even fought for the Confederacy itself. A Georgia Irish regiment famously faced down the Union Irish Brigade at Fredericksburg.

Surely Trump will do something Trumpy tonight.

It's a huge audience in primetime. It must go against every fiber of his being to use this moment to give a boring scripted speech.

Surely Trump will do something Trumpy tonight.

It's a huge audience in primetime. It must go against every fiber of his being to use this moment to give a boring scripted speech.
CBS News showed a video of him and his daughter setting up the microphone and teleprompters for their speeches tonight.

Not to say he can't go off script, or have a script that is down right Trumpish, but it seems they're setting up to do a formal speech.

Liam Hogan is the go-to guy on this topic these days. Fabulous research and debunking of the type of Irish slave myths that white supremacists peddle
https://medium.com/@Limerick1914
Indeed, quite a few Irish immigrants even fought for the Confederacy itself. A Georgia Irish regiment famously faced down the Union Irish Brigade at Fredericksburg.

Jaysus! I didn't even know it was a 'topic'. My entire post was made up on the hoof based on general reading. You learn something every day, I guess.

Haven't had the chance to read it yet but I've heard good things about the book -

How the Irish Became White by Noel Ignatiev.

Also oddly enough on RTE radio Blindeboy(One half of the comedy duo The RubberBandits)was discussing this(Mentions research done by Liam Hogan and Noel Ignatiev book)as well as Gerry Adams being a bit of a tit.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.