2016 US Presidential Elections | Trump Wins

Status
Not open for further replies.
I voted for Bernie in California with my absentee ballot. When I posted it, I was feeling a lot better about it than I am today :lol:

I just can't be inspired, or comforted, by the thought of Hillary as president, though I'll be voting for her in November against Trump.

Gah.

Hopefully Bernie does the right thing.

Ultimately I think he'll have a bigger impact on the Dem Party, but for now, it's not his time.

Hopefully Bernie does the right thing.

Ultimately I think he'll have a bigger impact on the Dem Party, but for now, it's not his time.

He's been busy moaning that it's "undemocratic" that he's losing despite getting 3m fewer votes than Clinton and been more successful in less democratic caucuses than primaries. I'm sympathetic to some of his beliefs, but when he was blaming "conservative democrats" for losing in the South, I knew he was blinkered. Bernie's also 74. He'd better hurry up if it's ever going to be his time.

:lol: And possibly a solid clinical assessment!

http://radio.foxnews.com/2016/06/07...emotionally-retarded-maybe-mentally-retarded/

Chopra: Donald Trump Is ‘Emotionally Retarded, Maybe Mentally Retarded’

Tuesday on “The Alan Colmes Show,” Alan spoke with integrative medicine pioneer Dr. Deepak Chopra about the effect Donald Trump has had on the electorate as the presumptive GOP nominee was sweeping primaries from New Jersey to California. Dr. Chopra had what he called the harshest words he has ever used against anyone in his lifetime, including calling Trump “emotionally retarded:”

CHOPRA: I would never say this unless I believed it was 100% true, but he represents the racist, the bigot, the one who’s prejudiced, the one who is full of fear and hatred, the one who represents emotional retardation of a three-year old. And yet he’s so popular because he’s given permission to our collective psyche to express their darkest demons.

COLMES: Now is he all the things you mentioned? When you said represents that, but is he those things?

CHOPRA: I think he is. I think he’s racist, he’s bigoted, he’s prejudiced. He’s full of fear. He is angry. He has a lot of hatred. He pouts, he’s belligerent, he’s emotionally retarded.

CHOPRA: He says one thing in the morning, in the afternoon he says exactly the opposite, and in the evening he denies he said either of those things in the same sentence.

COLMES: He will say I’m for free trade but I think we need to put more tariffs on China.

CHOPRA: Maybe I was too kind when I said he was emotionally retarded, maybe he’s mentally retarded too.

COLMES: I just wonder how much awareness we’re seeing among those, particularity in the candidate himself and those who might support him, where this is taking us?

CHOPRA: This is taking us to the abyss. This is taking us to the valley of death. This is taking us to the darkest place that humanity can go.

He's been busy moaning that it's "undemocratic" that he's losing despite getting 3m fewer votes than Clinton and been more successful in less democratic caucuses than primaries. I'm sympathetic to some of his beliefs, but when he was blaming "conservative democrats" for losing in the South, I knew he was blinkered. Bernie's also 74. He'd better hurry up if it's ever going to be his time.

It won't ever be "his" time. But with his fund raising apparatus and getting young people involved, it is set up for someone else down the line to carry on the baton.

I also have found him and his campaign people annoying the past few weeks. He's lost fair and square by pretty much every metric. At first they said the super delegates were "undemocratic" and now he wants the super delegates to make him the nominee over someone who has more pledged delegates and millions more votes.

I think he's run a good campaign, but the last month or so he's sounded like a bitter loser. Also, he needs to realize the longer he stays it'll only help Trump.

Well, there are arguments about caucus votes and everything, but he has clearly lost the popular vote this time. Even Obama possibly was trailing in popular vote to HRC if I'm not mistaken.

Well, there are arguments about caucus votes and everything, but he has clearly lost the popular vote this time. Even Obama possibly was trailing in popular vote to HRC if I'm not mistaken.

Yes, Michigan and Florida weren't included, but then again he won the majority of caucus states, so that muddled the whole thing a bit.

Seems California voted for the inevitable winner. She finally got a winner end kick somewhere.

That's the subject of intense debate in the United States. Long story short, it is arguably already inherent in the power of the executive branch to deport any illegal alien at any time. The US Constitution has a provision known as the "take care" clause, which essentially requires the executive branch to enforce the law. President XYZ may not ignore the law as he or she wishes and must enforce the law, albeit within a wide range of latitude for contingencies. If President XYZ ignore the, let's say, Clean Air Act, a citizen may bring suit in a United States federal court to compel the EPA to enforce the law. The courts sort it out. It gets much murkier with respect to immigration but the basic premise that the federal government must enforce the law is fundamental as a matter of constitutional law. A President Trump will argue that the law as it stands right now compels him to remove all illegal aliens and send them back to their home country and his legal argument would not be irrational, although in the end I can't see the courts allowing the full purging in 11 million human beings. The unwritten agreement in the US is that if you are an illegal alien and conduct yourself appropriately (work, pay taxes and don't commit crimes) you will not be deported. A lot of people don't like this policy, but most are ok with it. But Trump has made his views on the mass deportation force quite clear. Wherever one stands on existing law, the need for a reform of our immigration laws is undeniable. But for Trump, the problem is easily solved by the eradication of illegal aliens.
Well the law certainly allows for deportation of illegal immigrants and anyone who is proven to be in the US illegally is deported. The issue is that without going door to door and demanding to see everyone's papers you aren't going to catch very many. Obama's mainly gotten around it by putting pressure on big businesses to check their own employees' work permits and report them if they haven't got one. That's only going to catch a very small percentage of the total, however.

Honestly, the current immigration laws are unworkable and unenforceable and should be changed.

Isn't Sanders now relying on the vast majority of superdelegates changing from backing the candidate with the most delegates and votes I.e. Clinton who the majority of superdelegates have already backed
It's clearly not going to happen and the only person to benefit is going to be trump

Isn't Sanders now relying on the vast majority of superdelegates changing from backing the candidate with the most delegates and votes I.e. Clinton who the majority of superdelegates have already backed
It's clearly not going to happen and the only person to benefit is going to be trump

Give him time. Clinton took 4 days to drop out and endorse Obama in 08.

O-dawg has already stepped in. MSNBC field reporter covering the Sanders campaign said he called Sanders last Sunday, and they will meet Thursday at the WH.

I weep for the world when the two choices to lead the most powerful country in the world are Donald Trump and Hillary Clinton.

The challenge now will be for Bernie supporters to wind their necks back in and get behind the ticket, which would be helped immensely if he is given a platform at the convention.

A day before the primary AP and CNN declared Hillary the presumptive nominee based on their "confidential" reports that the supers will mostly pledge with her as they did 10 months ago. This after the polls showed Bernie with a substantial lead among independents in California.

May be someone can debunk this, but on CNN this morning why weren't they showing the results of the North Dakota primary and only of the states Hilary was leading?

Donald may be wrong on everything but "Crooked Hillary", he is absolutely right.

I hope Sanders takes his fight all the way to the convention.

A day before the primary AP and CNN declared Hillary the presumptive nominee based on their "confidential" reports that the supers will mostly pledge with her as they did 10 months ago. This after the polls showed Bernie with a substantial lead among independents in California.

May be someone can debunk this, but on CNN this morning why weren't they showing the results of the North Dakota primary and only of the states Hilary was leading?

Donald may be wrong on everything but "Crooked Hillary", he is absolutely right.

Trouble for Bernie is Obama will endorse Hillary in the next few days and she will have beaten the Bern in every conceivable metric from pledged delegates to super delegates to popular vote to states won. Bernie can stay in until the convention but there's literally no argument to be made that he can be the nominee. At this point he is only staying in for platform leverage at the Convention, which is completely fine.

The AP continuously call and tally the superdelegates count throughout the primaries and update their delegate tracker accordingly. Once Clinton reached 2383, they call the race as per their standard practice. There's also an element of wanting to break a big story as well. CNN was the slowest of the big networks to follow the call.

Sanders leads with independents in virtually any state thus far. Clinton leads among registered Democrats by a similar margin. Every single poll conducted in CA show her leading.

North Dakota holds caucuses, not a primary. Caucuses' results are always slow to be tabulated. It was called after NM.

This is getting into conspiratorial waters.

Chances are he won't, but if he does and causes a big stink there, I won't rule out the chance of the Democratic Party putting up a challenger for his Senate seat in 2018. Short of that, they can overlook him from taking over as Chairman of the Senate Budget Committee, where he's currently the Democrat ranking member.

Trouble for Bernie is Obama will endorse Hillary in the next few days and she will have beaten the Bern in every conceivable metric from pledged delegates to super delegates to popular vote to states won. Bernie can stay in until the convention but there's literally no argument to be made that he can be the nominee. At this point he is only staying in for platform leverage at the Convention, which is completely fine.

From his speech today, the bold part seems to be what he intends to do now.

The AP continuously call and tally the superdelegates count throughout the primaries and update their delegate tracker accordingly. Once Clinton reached 2383, they call the race as per their standard practice. There's also an element of wanting to break a big story as well. CNN was the slowest of the big networks to follow the call.

Sanders leads with independents in virtually any state thus far. Clinton leads among registered Democrats by a similar margin. Every single poll conducted in CA show her leading.

North Dakota holds caucuses, not a primary. Caucuses' results are always slow to be tabulated. It was called after NM.

This is getting into conspiratorial waters.

Chances are he won't, but if he does and causes a big stink there, I won't rule out the chance of the Democratic Party putting up a challenger for his Senate seat in 2018. Short of that, they can overlook him from taking over as Chairman of the Senate Budget Committee, where he's currently the Democrat ranking member.

That may be true, but the timing of it is very suspect. AP's tally was confirmed just a night before major primaries were about to vote, based on their surveys of anonymous super delegates? That's a very favorable coincidence for Hillary.

I myself suspected the ND one was getting a bit too much into conspiratorial waters. Point taken. :)

His speech didn't sound like a concession, not tonight anyway.

Last edited:

Erm..because Puerto Rico held primaries over the weekend and with the pledged delegates from there, the AP could definitively declare her the winner of the primary, even if the result was inevitable.

But sure, "Conspiracy".

That may be true, but the timing of it is very suspect. AP's tally was confirmed just a night before major primaries were about to vote, based on their surveys of anonymous super delegates? That's a very favorable coincidence for Hillary.

She won USVI and PR last weekend by a crushing margin and was 29 delegates short from the nomination. Most media outlets reported that the campaign had 40+ supers ready to endorse and put her over the line, CNN even pushed their Tuesday victory coverage ready for Sunday in case they do, but the campaign decided to only declare after polls closed in NJ. The AP actually fecked up their preparations.

From a narrative standpoint, it's nowhere near ideal. Instead of an intensive primary night coverage where lots of people would be tuning in, and she would deliver her victory speech in real time, they had to settle for a Monday news cycle and a tweet urging supporters to still go out and vote. The Sanders's campaign feeling was never in the equation, they would be crying anyway. It's all about maximizing exposure and milking the occasion.

She won USVI and PR last weekend by a crushing margin and was 29 delegates short from the nomination. Most media outlets reported that the campaign had 40+ supers ready to endorse and put her over the line, CNN even pushed their Tuesday victory coverage ready for Sunday in case they do, but the campaign decided to only declare after polls closed in NJ. The AP actually fecked up their preparations.

From a narrative standpoint, it's nowhere near ideal. Instead of an intensive primary night coverage where lots of people would be tuning in, and she would deliver her victory speech in real time, they had to settle for a Monday news cycle and a tweet urging supporters to still go out and vote. The Sanders's campaign feeling was never in the equation, they would be crying anyway. It's all about maximizing exposure and milking the occasion.

The point is that the super delegates haven't voted yet, and won't do so till the convention. AP based the presumptive nomination based on the endorsement of these anonymous (40+ as you say) super delegates to push her over the edge at an odd time. Were they able to confirm them only a night before? Or did they pre-plan to release the information when they did?

Last edited:
The point is that the super delegates haven't voted yet, and won't do so till the convention. AP based the presumptive nomination based on the endorsement of these anonymous (40+ as you say) super delegates to push her over the edge at an odd time. Were they able to confirm them only a night before? Or did they pre-plan to release the information when they did?

Technically, no delegate votes until the convention. Hence the 'presumptive' in 'presumptive nominee'. The networks call the candidate who clinch the needed magic number that. Same thing happened to Obama in 08.

The AP call the supers regularly to update their count. They got 25 to confirm her (per NBC, there's been steady endorsement on the heel of the PR primary, before they made the call, she was short by 19 by Green Papers iirc). I don't know if any of them are from the 40+ the campaign lined up but don't think that's the case, since those would have directive from the campaign not to contact the press(then again, it's hard being on top of everything). Anyhow, what happened is that the AP followed their usual practice and broke the news once they got it, effectively gazumped the 3 big networks. Everyone knew Clinton would clinch once polls close in NJ, so breaking a day prior was actually kinda a big news. There were a lot of confusion within the media. I think CNN followed the call 4 hours after the fact, only when they've contacted the superdelegates themselves to make sure.

knowing this thread...this has already been posted...

But, here it is nevertheless

There’s no strategist pulling the strings, and no collection of burn-it-all-down aides egging him on. At the heart of the rage against Hillary Clinton and the Democratic Party, the campaign aides closest to him say, is Bernie Sanders.

It was the Vermont senator who personally rewrote his campaign manager’s shorter statement after the chaos at the Nevada state party convention and blamed the political establishment for inciting the violence.

Read more: http://www.politico.com/story/2016/06/bernie-sanders-campaign-last-days-224041#ixzz4AzIEdtxP

Of course Bernie should stay in the race, mainly because it annoys Hillary Clinton and if there's something worth doing it's annoying Hillary Clinton.

Trump didn't clear 80% in any state except NJ, where he barely made it to 80. That's a massive red flag for an unopposed candidate who should be clearing into the mid 90s given the lack of any opposition.

Trump didn't clear 80% in any state except NJ, where he barely made it to 80. That's a massive red flag for an unopposed candidate who should be clearing into the mid 90s given the lack of any opposition.

Are people voting for candidates that dropped out, or are they just fecking around and writing Chewbacca on the ballots?

Are people voting for candidates that dropped out, or are they just fecking around and writing Chewbacca on the ballots?

Yes, they voted for Cruz and Kasich. An ominous sign for Trump going forward, as it illustrates the GOP voter base is still not fully behind him.

Pretty telling Clinton's first move after clinching the nomination was opening a 'Republican against Trump' website.

Her seeming uninterested with courting the Sanders votes really gives legs to the Warren rumors.

Yes, they voted for Cruz and Kasich. An ominous sign for Trump going forward, as it illustrates the GOP voter base is still not fully behind him.
if sanders had dropped out I bet Clinton would still have struggled to get 60% though - neither partys base is particularly united - its going to be a nasty campaign with vitriol and lies flying back and forth (all over twitter) and ultimately its probably going to be quite close

Is there any suitable presidential election for comparison, in terms of two nominees that the party base doesn't like?

Status
Not open for further replies.